The MinneBago - (7/29 update - Campable!!)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Elmosaurus » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:44 pm

A short work day, but productive.

Today, I got home from work a smidge early, and there was a break in the weather. We had dinner plans with good friends at 6:30, so I basically had about an hour to get something done. Not wanting to waste any precious good weather, I decided to tackle the roof sections, as it made the most sense. (I wanted to inspect the roof for any water that may have leaked through my tarp job during the HEAVY rains we had last night)

To start, I cleaned up the profile of the front roof section. Router in hand, the sides cleaned up quickly and were sanded to a nice sharp corner. The 45 deg slant on the other hand, was as usual, not so fun. After a bit of wrestling with the saw, I got the sander out and finished the 45 degree profile of the plywood edge.

You can see my makeshift clamping bar in the picture. I'll get to that in a minute.

Next up, with the roof skins done, I figured it was now safe to install the two support spars for the Lexan Skylight. This picture shows the opening very clearly; between the skylight and the two 18x30 windows (to be installed in the future) there will be plenty of natural light.

I marked up the wall positions, and prepared to glue and pocket screw the two spars in place. Before I did, just for giggles (since I've been picture 'light' these past few days) since I had the camera in my hand, I took a picture of what the birds will see through our skylight.

With glue and spars in hand, I set to task the installation of the spars. Since these will likely be visible when the interior is complete, and probably naked urethaned or something of the sort, I decided to pocket screw from the top so that the entire spar is clean in appearance from inside the cabin.

With the spars installed, I utilized my make-shift clamping jig again to 'clamp' the two walls together to squeeze the ends of the spars tight. (visible in the picture between the two spars)

The jig is basically a long spar, with one block of wood screwed firmly on one end, and another that is screwed firmly at a length that is short of the opposite wall when the first block is 'hooked' on the exterior of a wall. This allows me to use my smaller 14" clamp to still 'draw' the two walls together and tightly clamp down on a spar. (think of the wood jig as an extension for one of the clamp's jaws)

With that, my hour was up, and I had to go inside and clean up quickly to meet our friends for dinner. But before I did, I figured I would take two photos for posterity, now that the interior was pretty much in it's final framing state. (I still have to route the fantastic vent opening, but that's it)

Here's what you see if your standing against the drivers side of the rear wall, head right near the ceiling looking forward.

And here's the view from the front, looking rear, standing by the drivers side wall, again.

Tomorrow, I finish the routing work, and profile the front lower slant section.

With that, the framing wood work will be all done!

E.

PS - I've added some pics to yesterday's post, since I was able to photograph them before I started work today. It helps make the end of yesterday's post a little easier to understand, I think. - E.
Elmosaurus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Elmosaurus » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:02 am

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'... (Saturday, July 25)

Saturday was a monumental day in the build; all framing woodworking was completed. Yay!

I started off the day hitting the Fantastic Vent opening. A drilled hole, the Bosch Router, and 90 seconds later, the opening was done. Got to love good tools.

Next was what I figured would be the most difficult task for the day. In truth, it went very smoothly since I had so much practice with the other front angle skins. About a half hour of work with the router for the side edges, and the sabre saw for the front bevel edge (with accompanying sanding) and the front skins were complete.

Since I had the sander in hand at that point from beveling the edge of the skin, I decided to clean up the skylight spars. I plan on leaving them 'au natural' for appearance, probably apply a urethane or tung oil finish or such to protect it. With a few minutes of sanding, the spars cleaned up really nice. (there were rip saw blade marks in them, and lifted grain ends) They are now grade A furniture looking spars. No knots, clean straight grain and smooth as glass.

Last for the day, was to profile the lower skirt.

I had deliberately left this step for last, 'just in case'. In case there was rain, that got through my tarps, and leaked down the edge and caused edge absorption issues. In case I lifted wood that I was storing under the trailer wrong, and dented the lower skirt somehow. In case... well, whatever. It was 3/4" of extra plywood skin I didn't need, so leaving it there right until the end just made sense.

I took the router to the drivers side, and just started going across. The flush cut bit followed the floor frame and wheel wells I had created perfectly, and within a few minutes (had to keep stopping to move my power cord wiring) the lower edge of all walls was done.

Guess what? The trailer didn't need to be on the patio anymore. Yay! With nothing other than sanding after putty and priming remaining, it was now time to roll her out to the driveway so that I could get the patio cleanup started. (by paying my little brother in law to do it. :lol: )

I moved some things out of the way, and backed my tow vehicle into place. A few minutes later, the trailer was on the driveway.

A few towing observations:

The tongue weight is quite light right now. but I'm far from ready to load balance. I'd wager I was lifting the tongue and there was maybe 30 lbs of weight. I'm not sure what the total gross trailer weight is right now, but the tongue weight seems 'low' to me. I could be totally wrong though. <shrug>

The hitch is a skotch low for this setup. I know the trailer will likely sag down 'a little' when I start loading it up, but for now, I think I need a hitch that is about 1.5" higher to bring the trailer frame to level. This is just an estimate though, since my driveway isn't exactly perfectly flat or level.

Lastly, I was worried that with my 'forward protrusion' over the tongue to get another 6" of interior space, I would run the risk of my tailgate smacking the trailer skins in moderate maneuvering work. (sharp corners, backing into place, etc.) After hitching up, I'm plenty comfortable with the distance. Unless I jack-knife the trailer quite a bit while backing up, I shouldn't have a problem. (and as light as the trailer is right now, I may not even need a TV to place it, as long as there's another adult male to help me push it around. I rolled it up a gentle incline in my driveway by myself with no issues whatsoever)

We started puttying shortly thereafter last night, but I didn't take any pics. I've been sanding this morning, but will get more pics of the putty work in the next post.

E.
Elmosaurus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby xddorox » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:35 pm

Outstanding framing work. :thumbsup:
xddorox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby parnold » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:28 pm

Very impressive!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Elmosaurus » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:01 am

Thanks, guys!

I'm pretty happy with the way it all turned out thus far, but the deadline is looming, and I'm exhausted and nervous!

The only good thing about it is that the weather is looking to be quite nice this weekend; so no torrential downpours to worry about 'testing out' my paint encapsulation/weather sealing work. :lol:

E.
Elmosaurus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby parnold » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:14 am

Elmo:

What part of NE PA are you in?

My father grew up in Waymart, and I still have relatives in the Lake Ariel area.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Elmosaurus » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:44 am

Cures in three to four minutes... What, in outer space maybe? (Sunday, July 25)

So, on Saturday night, we squeezed in as much puttying of the nearly 1600+ 18 gauge staple holes I had created as we could before dark; we got about 1/4 of the way through before calling it a night. On Sunday morning, we tackled into it again, my wife mixing and puttying, while I followed behind and sanded things to smooth. (I started on the areas that had already cured from the day before)

Of course, as expected, the rain storms rolled in mid-afternoon, so we had to stop, tarp up, and wait it out. We went out for lunch and to do some errands, and later on arrived home around 4pm to clear weather picking up where we left off for a few more hours.

After about a total of 5 hours, the drivers side wall, rear wall, and most of the front wall is now complete.

The upper slant front wall needs to be completed, as does the entire passenger side wall.

Now, for some of my comments on using Bondo filler putty.

Being the first time I'd used it, I read the can, and mixed accordingly. Big mistake. If you decide to use this product to fill your staple/nail/screw holes, don't follow the directions. At. All.

I am usually very 'follow the directions' specific. The engineer in me demands it. But upon mixing the first batch, it basically cured instantly on the mixing palette before any could even be applied to my project.

I think 3M (Bondo parent company) would do well to change their labeling; the temperature definitely affects curing time, as does other external factors like ventilation, and possibly UV exposure. Working outside in sunlight, in any kind of breeze, or if the temperature is generally quite warm, you have to cut back on the amount of hardener you mix in dramatically. The label makes no mention of any of these external conditions affecting curing time, but it definitely did. (when we mixed and worked in the shade, things were a little better. When we didn't have a breeze going, things went better. Etc.) After doing some research online, I found that Bondo products are exothermic, which is part of the catalytic process that cures it. (so it makes perfect sense that higher ambient temps, or direct sunlight would also further along the curing process)

I would strongly recommend that you practice by mixing very small batches at first, to figure out the 'timing' and mix ratio of hardener to filler. And when I say small, I mean like the size of a silver dollar or such of filler, and a pea size drop of hardener. Once you figure out the right ratio that gives you about 2-3 minutes of pot life, (enough time for about one row of staples pretty much) you can scale up the amount slightly to get complete coverage/usage during that time window.

All in all, after it cures, and it is sanded down, it's a nice product. Just a pain to use given the unreasonably short cure time. (which is made worse by the poor labeling and sensitivity to external factors)

Anyhow, I originally really wanted to get the puttying done and sanded by the end of yesterday so that we could begin priming today. (gorgeous weather for the next three days) But with the 3+ hour rain storm yesterday, there was just no way.

With any luck, the puttying and sanding will complete early today, and I can get some (or all) of the wood primed tonight before nightfall.

E.
Elmosaurus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Elmosaurus » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:44 am

parnold wrote:Elmo:

What part of NE PA are you in?

My father grew up in Waymart, and I still have relatives in the Lake Ariel area.

We're up in the Dallas/Back Mountain area, an offshoot suburb of Wilkes-Barre.

I've been through Waymart and Lake Ariel once or twice, but am not really too familiar with them. I myself am a transplant, and have only lived here in PA about a decade.

Yeeesh. Has it been that long?!?!

E.
Elmosaurus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Elmosaurus » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:04 am

Dust....EVERYWHERE. (Monday, July 26)

With hindsight being what it is, we probably should have gotten respirators and not breathed in the sanding dust from the bondo. Even with the slight breezes we had these last two days, it was everywhere. Thankfully, my researching it online showed it as a relatively benign dust compared to other things one can inhale during construction. But it still gave me pause for concern for a bit.

While I was at work, my wife continued to putty, then began sanding shortly before I got home. She accomplished quite a bit, and even managed to take a photo while she was at it.

I arrived home and changed into my work clothes quickly, then set to task installing the jack stand I bought at lunch time. $16 after a 20% off coupon from Harbor Freight. (photo was taken at the end of the night during cleanup. sorry)

Easy install, took more time figuring out where I wanted it so that it'd be out of the way when folded, but as far forward as possible for best support. That's the location I settled on. I may seek out a pair of snap ring pliers so I can disassemble the pivot mount for the unit, just so I can apply some waterproof grease to it. It would allow it turn more smoothly, and help prevent any rusting. Not a priority for now though. (Didn't get around to removing my fancy concrete block jack stand until after I took the picture. :lol: )

Once I finished all that up, I took over the sanding of the cured putty, which allowed my wife to get back to puttying the final touch up spots. As the evening went on, I took over the puttying also as she went inside; there were a few edges I wanted to rebuild from the sabre saw cutting in too deep, and those took a delicate experienced modelers touch. 8)

Just to confirm my post from yesterday, as the temperatures dropped from the high 80's into the low 70's throughout the evening, the cure time changed for the Bondo. I found I had to increase the amount of harderner slightly every half hour or so to get the same proper 'set time'. 3M, re-label your damn product! It is definitely an ambient temperature dependent product!

By 8 PM or so, all puttying and sanding was finally done. I had rebuilt the edges I damaged (including the router bit slip when the bearing blew up) to my satisfaction, and blew the entire trailer's surfaces off using the compressed air blow nozzle.

We tarped it up for the night so that my wife could begin the big process of priming in the morning. I'm hoping and praying that it goes smoothly and quickly, as we are now into the final 72 hours of build time!

(and there's still quite a bit for me to do! Paint, Door, Skylight, Vent, and lighting!) :worship:

E.
Elmosaurus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby teardrop_focus » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:31 pm

You mention 'the final 72 hours' but have you considered the trailer wiring? That takes forever...

:lol:

Good luck on the rest of it. It looks like it will be a very well-made smalll travel trailer when you're finished.

:applause: :thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby Elmosaurus » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:50 pm

teardrop_focus wrote:You mention 'the final 72 hours' but have you considered the trailer wiring? That takes forever...

Good luck on the rest of it. It looks like it will be a very well-made smalll travel trailer when you're finished.

:applause: :thumbsup:

"Sort of."

I plan on only running a pair of wires to the fantastic vent. They won't even be run 'pretty'. For now, I'm going to half drive a pneumatic staple into a few spars, and just string the wiring along the ceiling to the front area under the mattress where the Optima Bluetop battery will sit for the trip.

Trailer lighting wiring will also be done in the most 'ghetto' temporary fashion possible to expedite the process; I'll be just using a few small squares of duct tape to hold the wiring in place along the trailer frame. (I'm using the kit supplied lights for now, but will eventually use nicer surface mount LED based stop/turn lights instead.)

Thanks for the compliments though; I do hope it turns out good, and durable. (road flex affecting lifespan of the woodwork and joints is my biggest concern)

E.
Elmosaurus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Elmosaurus » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:37 pm

Tick....Tock....Tick....Tock.... (Tuesday, July 27, and Wednesday, July 28)

Coming into the home stretch, the biggest challenge was paint. And not because of application, but because of timing; paint takes time to cure fully, and if you reapply (or topcoat your color over primer) too soon, bad things can happen. (varying from perpetually soft paint, to wrinkling or lifting from sub layer outgassing)

Tuesday

My wife tackled the primer coat while I was at work. Despite all the reports I had read, the primer I had chosen was very thin to our surprise. This made application actually a bit more difficult for my wife than it would seem; runs were very easy to form, and it was soaking into the grain a bit too easily. (which is sort of it's job, but still...)

After a few hours of priming, she was happy to shoot me a text message reporting that we now had a large toaster in the driveway. I concurred.

The only thing I was really able to address when I got home, since the primer was drying, was to work on the trailer lighting. I needed to push the lights further out away from the frame, since my floor frame hangs out a few inches in all directions. I bought a piece of flat aluminum stock at the BORG earlier in the day in anticipation of the task, and starting cutting and bending to suit. About an hour later, I had my two matching bracket extensions, and went out to the trailer to install them.

In this second pic, you can get a really good idea of what I did. My bracket extension basically bolts to the frame, and the original bracket bolts to the extension I made. It may not look factory, but it'll work. (some may ask why I didn't just make a whole new bracket... I wanted to conserve the flat aluminum in case I needed it for other projects in the future. :) ) With the extensions in place, the lights now are just about flush with the rear wall, and are flush on the sides with the side walls. 100% road legal. :R

While working around the trailer, I did notice that the cure time on the primer was taking longer than advertised, and was worried this would affect our timetable. (some thicker spots were dry to the touch, but could be imprinted slightly if pressed) I was especially worried that the top colorcoat might have the same issues. I decided to get and add the hardener to accelerate the cure time of the color coat, as I didn't want to be stuck waiting for paint to cure before I could install the necessary items. (door, vent, skylight)

Wednesday

With a deadline right around the corner, I decided to take another day off work to truck along on the build. Painting was the order of the day, and with a limited time window (didn't want to be laying paint in peak heat) I knew that two hands would make things go quicker and hopefully smoother.

The paint I chose to use is Valspar Industrial Tractor and Implement Enamel.

I've done much research on this, and not wanting to spend an insane $$$ on my exterior, I feel that this should provide me with a reasonable amount of protection with regular maintenance. (I accept that I will have to scrutinize the paint every 6 months, and re-coat at least once every two years to retain water protection) I don't recommend that you all use it, without first ascertaining the risks vs benefits and how they'll affect you. Bang for the buck though, I personally think it'll be an excellent solution. Time will tell if I'm wrong I guess. :)

Being that I was concerned about cure time, I ran out to Tractor Supply Co. first thing in the morning to get the hardener. On the way back, I stopped at the local true value hardware store to pick up another 6" foam roller, two liners, and most important, a 4 pack of mixing buckets. (well, paint tidy liner, but same difference)

The mixing buckets were a sensible forethought, because I knew that the work time to roll the paint on would be longer than the initial setup time for the paint once I mixed in the hardener. In this way, I was able to mix a 32 oz batch at a time, and we could use that without fear of the balance of the paint kicking too fast before we got to it. (The clear nature of the liner/bucket made marking the outside easy for the amount of paint, then the amount of hardener to add; I premeasured using water to make my marks, then dumped the water out and dried it thoroughly before adding paint and hardener) Sure enough while we were painting, the paint we had mixed in that batch was starting to get viscous as we got to the bottom of the roller tray liner; had I mixed the whole gallon.... well... bad. Just bad.

While I was mixing the first batch of hardener + paint, my wife attacked the primer with my sander, so that the paint would have a good surface purchase to grab.

Minutes later, we began laying paint on the trailer. The Valspar goes on very nicely on a prepared surface. There were spots where the primer did not fill the wood grain pores, and we had to work the paint into them to ensure a waterproof barrier. Hopefully we got them all. Had we more time, I would have postponed the paint, and dropped another layer of primer to fill all the pores; but being in a time crunch, I made the call to forge ahead with the paint, knowing the paint would fill the pores too. (but slow us down during the paint application)

As we finished the first batch of paint, I went in to mix up batch #2. That was applied uneventfully, and I got the timing of when to start mixing batch #3 a bit better. As we finished off batch #3, we found we had exactly enough paint to get the drivers side wall done, completing all paint work for now. (it was a really good thing I didn't just mix the whole gallon's worth in one shot; I'd have just wasted a quart of paint!)

After paint, I set about to run the trailer light wiring and install my ghetto duct tape wiring holders. :) After reconnecting the wiring, checking my ground, and testing each lamp and function, I ran the wire along the trailer frame, and duct taped it periodically so that no wiring was hanging down anywhere. I rubber banded the excess up front in the A frame area, leaving about 20" of loose slack for the plug itself to hook into the vehicle harness port. (sorry, no picture, but you all know what duct tape looks like. ;) )

Lastly for the night, I decided to prep my skylight material. Originally, I was going to go with Lexan for the skylight. But it is exceptionally more costly compared to acrylic, (Plexiglass) and only comes in a thin .093" sheet in the 3' x 6' size I needed. (at the BORG; I'm sure I could special order it from someplace, but that'd be costly and insane most likely) I decided to use a .220 thick piece of acrylic sheet instead. I'd worked with acrylic before in the marine fish tank industry, so I'm familiar with it's properties and drawbacks. It came out to about the same price, is dramatically thicker, which will match my roof thickness better (no depression/step at the joint) and should provide a reasonable level of impact/vibration resistance. I know it's not in the same league as Lexan, but since it's on the roof, laying flat, fully supported, and should never see direct impact, I'm hoping, it'll do the job just the same. Hopefully, I'm not wrong. :lol: (I figure any direct impact that would crack/shatter the acrylic, would probably ruin Lexan just the same anyhow; it'd have to be something awful like a tree branch falling on the trailer. Plus small weather abrasion and scratches can actually be polished out of acrylic easily, whereas it's more of a PITA with Lexan. Like my paint choice, I guess time will tell. :R

I digress; I cut the Plexi to the required trailer width, 59.25" in length. I had planned on using the sheet's width 'as is' for it's width; I had left my raw wood opening on the roof at 36 and 1/8", thinking the extra 1/8" would accommodate even a small amount of overage in whatever plastic sheet I bought, even after primer and paint application. Wouldn't you know, the Plexi is exactly 36 and 1/8" also. With the paint thickness added in, I knew it'd be tighter than I wanted. So, out came the router. I rigged up a plank with some clamps under the Plexi sheet so that I could use the flush cut bit, and dialed in the depth exactly so that it'd only bite into the Plexi. (we're talking sub 1/128ths of an inch adjustments here; did I mention I love my Bosch Router?) A few minutes later, I had shaved exactly 3/64" of an inch off the entire 59.25" length of the Plexi. (sorry, forgot to take pics of this process; it was approaching dark, and I wanted to make sure I got done and cleaned up before nightfall hit)

So, on to the final 24 hours! Tomorrow morning while I'm at work, my wife will be applying the MinWax Tung Oil finish to the skylight spars to protect them. (since doing it after the skylight is in place will be more troublesome) Then, once I get home from work, the paint should be fully cured long ago, and I can begin to install the door, the skylight, and with any luck, the fan vent also. I have buffered myself a small 'overtime' in case I can't get to the vent tomorrow though; we are not leaving for the trip until mid day on Friday, so if I have to, I can drop the vent fan in place, screw it in, and silicone seal it first thing in the morning and still have it dry before I pull out of the driveway.

E.
Elmosaurus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Elmosaurus » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:17 pm

To dream, the impossible dream!..... (today)

Friends, it's with a bit of jubilation that I can post this reply tonight.

The trailer, .... is ready.

I took a half day off from work and tackled the big things as soon as I got home.

First, my wife taped up the skirt. You see, I've seen so much water damage from water soaking UP into the plywood around here, it just made sense to me; why not asphalt the bottom edge, and then UP the skirt of the plywood wall? Sure, there will be a small black stripe there, but will anyone even notice? Will anyone even care?

So, while I was test fitting the door, she taped things up, and began to apply a final coat of Henry's 201 asphalt emulsion to the skirt area. I figure everyone here trusts this product to protect the underside of their floor so successfully that I should trust it to protect the plywood also. During the application, I installed the metal fenders in place so that it would stick directly to the fresh ashpalt she had applied. I then had her seal the fender edges in as well.

Here's some pics of the tape being removed from the skirt stripe, and the taped up fender.

After all the tape was removed, I have to say, it looks really good. And I trust that it will protect the endgrain of the plywood well.

Next up was the big task of the day. The one that worried me the most. I had decided at the last minute last night not to tint it like I had originally planned. Part of wanting such a large skylight was the ability to see the stars at night; tinted, that might be hindered. Hopefully, I won't be shown to be foolish on this choice with searing temperatures inside the trailer. (I plan on leaving the vent fan on throughout the day to combat the added light/heat) The omission of the tint made things a little easier for placement, (since I didn't have to worry about the tint being on the areas being adhered) so I proceeded to take my time figuring out how to raise the skylight into position, and where to lay it, etc. Even still, the extremely sharp edges of the sheet cut into the paint in many spots, basically where it touched. :x

Luckily, most of those spots were going to be siliconed over, so I wasn't heartbroken. But it did annoy me. (and remind me of how sharp this sheet was; I got a cut in one finger the day I brought it home from the store)

With the sheet in place and positioned perfectly, I had my wife lift each edge as I shot silicone generously onto the support ledge. As we placed it back down, it oozed out and up to fill the gap; perfect as intended. I then ran the necessary beads all around the gaps to build them up, and brought them down to nice smooth rounded fillets using my tried and true technique. (use the tip of a plastic teaspoon)

With the silicone all done and in place, I removed the top protective sheet, and voila, the skylight was complete!

(the interior painted areas will be covered with ceiling material in the future; the only part that will remain exposed are the nice tung oil finished support spars)

Next, I quickly moved onto the installation of the door. The test fitting revealed I had not taken into account one protruding screw head in the door frame assembly. Rather than modify the aluminum door frame (and risk hurting it's integrity) I decided to chisel out a slot for it. No big deal. I then set about to butyl taping the entire door frame flange perimeter, then lifted it out to the trailer and set it in place. My wife held it in place from the inside as I pre-drilled then screwed in a series of 3/4" stainless steel screws all around it's perimeter flange. Alternating locations so as to compress the butyl tape evenly, I eventually got them all in with moderate compression ooze of the tape. I trimmed the tape, then ran my silicone beads all around, finishing them off with my plastic spoon technique for a perfect fillet.

(sorry, no idea why my wife backed up so much before taking this pic)

Finally, the last order of business for the night was to install the vent fan. This is a step I'm sure many of you have done, so I won't go into much detail. The only really exciting moment during installation was when my tube of silicone ran out. Luckily, I had shot more than enough out along three of the four vent base seams, so when I scooped to fillet them properly I had plenty of surplus on the spoon to 'bead' the last side of the fan base, as well as the heads of all the mounting screws. (I really didn't want to cut into the next tube of silicone caulk for one 14" bead and a bunch of lousy screw heads! :lol: )

With that, there is only a few little things left to do before we depart in the morning; run a pair of wires to the front so I can power the fan off a Optima battery, load the trailer with the concrete blocks I'll be using as load balancing weight/ mattress platform riser, and then finally, lug the full size mattress out of the house and set it on the bed boards in the trailer.

To those of you that have encouraged and supported me, I give you my greatest thanks. I have literally been burning my candle at both ends, while burning it in the middle. In fact, there is no way any of this could have happened had it not been for my wonderful wife helping out when she could, while balancing the care of our infant daughter. This trailer is a labor of love for them more than anything; it has been a grueling past 4-5 weeks of intense woodworking and assembly, but the good nights sleep we should all be able to comfortably get together at the family farm should make everything worthwhile.

Until the next periodic update (probably after some interior gets done) I hope you all have great camping memories!

I'll see you guys in General Discussion!

E.
Last edited by Elmosaurus on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elmosaurus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vtx1029 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:27 pm

Have a great trip :thumbsup:
vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:45 pm

That trailer so white, call it Snowball.

Have a great trip and fun camping. Looking forward to watching you finish it out.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals