MyAway build - Updates for space usage & organization

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:44 am

Thanks, Steve. It almost sounds like you are rubbing in the fact that you live in sunny Florida!! :roll:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mezmo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:54 pm

Hi Sharon,

Check out Cliff Uyeda's recent album on his website:

http://www.salsaholics.com/trailer/gall ... modernism/

Page 2 and 5 have pics of a neat Pop-Top pickup camper someone
built probably in the 60s. Interesting work and careful craftsmanship.

I thought it close in concept to your and Mike Young's builds.

Rest up during the bad weather and you'll be able jump back in full
force when the temps improve.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:20 am

Hi, Norm,

Thanks for the website! I found the truck. Yes, my build is probably 2 feet longer and 1 foot slimmer than that. I enjoyed all the pictures. I am certain others will, too. That Bowlus, near the end, was a rare treat; as was the Airstream and some of the others. It is amazing how varied each trailer is/can be. The human mind and what people can do with it and their trailers is amazing.

The weather is a tad warmer and I am back doing a bit of work on the trailer. It shouldn't be too long before I have an update.

Thanks again!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bve » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:27 pm

S. Heisley wrote:It shouldn't be too long before I have an update.

Hmmm, I guess we have different ideas of how long 'too long' is. :)

How are things with the build?

Burke
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:52 am

Thanks, Burke for wondering. I can always count on you to keep me going and I sometimes need that. I have been ignoring the build for a couple weeks. So, below are a couple issues that will help others.

Lifting Roof Problem:

I was all ready to take pictures and post a nice update, including a picture of the roof at least part way up. So, I lifted it and heard a noise. Suddenly the entire roof fell back and down. I thought, “Oh boy…I’ll bet that the piano hinge wasn’t strong enough.â€
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:20 am

LAG screws?
It would appear you may be exceeding the strength. It concerns me that the weight is more than the set up will handle over all. What is the hinge rated for? What about wind load?
Through bolts with fairly substantial (wide) washers (I would uses stainless steel) and or a fish plate running the width of the attachment. This later might be the easier solution as it could be painted before attachment and can be a quick fix.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:16 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:LAG screws?
It would appear you may be exceeding the strength. It concerns me that the weight is more than the set up will handle over all. What is the hinge rated for? What about wind load?
Through bolts with fairly substantial (wide) washers (I would uses stainless steel) and or a fish plate running the width of the attachment. This later might be the easier solution as it could be painted before attachment and can be a quick fix.

Thanks, Shadow Catcher. Yes, I am using stainless steel and a fish plate is the proper name for the metal reinforcing that I plan to do. (I had originally planned on only having about 4' of the roof lift and I still have that as my back-up plan should the above not work.)

The hinge was what I worried about but it held up fine. It is nickel-plated steel and did not have a load rating on it. For wind, I plan to have chains attached so that a gust can't push it away from me when I'm putting it up; however, if it is really windy, say 60 mph or so, I may leave the top down. I can function okay inside without the extra height. On the plus side, the trailer is so small that everything can be done sitting down. :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:07 am

Sharon,

Your MyAway is looking great! Everytime I see your floor with the leaves, it makes me smile.

I know you'll come up with a solution for your latest "challenge."

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Thanks, Tom (Aggie79) :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby parnold » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:43 pm

Sharon:

May I ask did the new coupler solve your problem, and exactly what was your problem?

I have never had a problem coupling my trailer, but sometimes I can't get the darn tongue off the ball of the car. I've tried adjusting, and lubricating, and now I'm thinking maybe I should just go buy a new one.

In reference to your little "mishap". I have learned a lot from my "mishaps", and as such I consider them valuable life's lessons.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Cool TTT with some nice details S. Heisley!! I shall be watching this thread closely as your design has a lot in common with my plan.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:53 am

parnold wrote:Sharon:

May I ask did the new coupler solve your problem, and exactly what was your problem?

I have never had a problem coupling my trailer, but sometimes I can't get the darn tongue off the ball of the car. I've tried adjusting, and lubricating, and now I'm thinking maybe I should just go buy a new one.

In reference to your little "mishap". I have learned a lot from my "mishaps", and as such I consider them valuable life's lessons.

Paul, your problem may be different from mine ….or not….. Check your latching mechanism to see if it is formed correctly. Maybe you’ll be lucky and all it has is a little extra nodule of metal hanging on somewhere that can be filed off. However, couplers are so inexpensive that the safest way may be to simply purchase a new one. :thinking:

With mine, the coupler latch was not shaped correctly and I should have sent it back. It was bent and had not been formed correctly in the mold (ragged metal over-flow on the edges). However, my neighbor had the tools needed, so he straightened it and we filed the excess metal off, thinking that would fix it. When we tested it, the coupler was off the trailer and manually put on. What we didn't realize was that we were manipulating it into position. Later, when I tried with it attached to the trailer, it would not couple at all. So, in order to make it work, it had to be removed and attached to the tow vehicle and then re-attached to the trailer....Not good.

Based on the above, I thought I could solve the problem by purchasing new innards and rebuilding it. But, that was to no avail. In talking to a friend, I found out that the couplers made in Europe are ever so slightly different in size because of the metric system. He said that sometimes European coupler housings will become mixed up with the American variety and this may be what happened to me. (After all, it was made in China….) Since the coupler was out of warranty and I needed to get a hitch on my newer tow vehicle anyway.... The old coupler is now history.

In reference to ‘mishaps,’ I share mine so that others can learn and avoid having the same problems. People can act smoothly, as if they know everything and have no problems or they can be honest. I choose the latter. A lesson can become even more valuable when shared.

StandUpGuy wrote:Cool TTT with some nice details S. Heisley!! I shall be watching this thread closely as your design has a lot in common with my plan.

Thanks! :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby fromeo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:36 am

Sharon, sorry to hear about the mishap. From what I see, it sounds like you already have the right solution in mind. With all the work you've accomplished so far, this will be a minor blip on the radar in the end. You'll be just fine!

- Frank
fromeo
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:10 pm

Thanks, Frank. I'm not down for the count. I'm up and dancing! I bought my repair supplies today! :thumbsup: :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:21 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: As usual your clear thinking things through has worked to educate us all. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

I still can't get over how beautiful your floor is. I just love the whole thing! :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals