Un-named Travel Trailer Build - 99% Done! April 18

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby fromeo » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:14 pm

Quick update..

Finished up the insulation and filled any gaps with spray foam:

Cut the excess spray foam flush with a jamb saw:

There's 2 pieces of insulation left to go in, behind the shower surround. The surround is cut to size and ready to be installed, so that should be completed during the week if I can catch a day without rain..

Meanwhile, I finished up the supply plumbing. Back under the bath sink is the city water connection:

The shower feed:

Water pump connection:

And finally the water heater. The 3 way valve and tee is a bypass for winterization:

Then finished up the inside wiring. The only thing left was the monitor panel and the power to the water pump:

Finished and tested plus some wiring cleanup:

I had procrastinated on the drains long enough, it was time to break out the glue and make it permanent. Did the grey tank stack, the shower drain and the bath sink drain:

Would have knocked out the galley sink as well, but ran into a problem with the sink tailpiece. The lip on the tailpiece is too thick so the nut can't get a good grip on the basket. Will pick up a new tailpiece this week and knock that out.

Finally, we got the roof decked with plywood:

The joints need to be sanded smooth as there is a slight bit of lippage in a couple of places. It looks really bad in the pictures but is less than 1/16" in reality. Then the excess needs trimmed with the router.

Unless something really goes wrong this week we should be hanging siding on Saturday.

- Frank
fromeo
Teardrop Master

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:25 pm

Looks really nice! :thumbsup:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:07 pm

Just went through your entire thread and I am very impressed by the workmanship and quality that is going into this. Your brother should enjoy this for years to come. But are you sure you want to hand it over to your brother? For all the work you did on this? Come on, you know you really want it. I'm sure he wouldn't mind!!! :twisted:

I hope my build comes out nearly as nice. I just picked up my frame from an old tent trailer too, but won't start on it till spring. I know I couldn't get it closed in by the time it starts snowing. We got snow up over the mountain passes (about 8900 feet) last night, so I think we're in for an early winter. I also promised the wife that I would get a few honey do's done on the house before I started into the build. The winter months will give me enough time to get the bathrooms remodeled and a few rooms painted and trimmed out. Until then, I will keep watching your build. I want to make sure mine is a quality build, but guys like you and Doug really keep that bar high. :clapping hands: :clapping hands: :clapping hands: Wow!
Can't wait to see it finished.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby steve smoot » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:43 pm

That is without doubt the most amazing build I have ever seen. :applause:

I do not think I will ever post another picture of my build, nope... :oops:
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:09 pm

Image Not a single detail I don't love. My goodness the finish on the inside is amazing! I don't know how you keep up with what to do next... :thumbsup:

“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby DasBaldGuy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:25 pm

Super, super nice build! Awesome attention to detail and excellent photo-documentation!

:thumbsup:
DasBaldGuy
Donating Member

Postby Weirdnerd » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:45 pm

Your camper is AWESOME!!!!, if you let me, I would like to make a copy :bowdown:
This is my build thread...
Weirdnerd's teardrop
Weirdnerd
The 300 Club

Postby fromeo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:18 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:Looks really nice! :thumbsup:

Thanks Cliff!

atahoekid wrote:Just went through your entire thread and I am very impressed by the workmanship and quality that is going into this. Your brother should enjoy this for years to come. But are you sure you want to hand it over to your brother? For all the work you did on this? Come on, you know you really want it. I'm sure he wouldn't mind!!!

I hope my build comes out nearly as nice. I just picked up my frame from an old tent trailer too, but won't start on it till spring. I know I couldn't get it closed in by the time it starts snowing. We got snow up over the mountain passes (about 8900 feet) last night, so I think we're in for an early winter. I also promised the wife that I would get a few honey do's done on the house before I started into the build. The winter months will give me enough time to get the bathrooms remodeled and a few rooms painted and trimmed out. Until then, I will keep watching your build. I want to make sure mine is a quality build, but guys like you and Doug really keep that bar high.

Yeah, I think I will let him keep this one. He has worked really hard on it after all! :)

Once this project is out of the way, I have one more room in the house to remodel and then we'll be looking for a new place, something with a little bit of land so I can build a workshop for my insane projects. The current thought is that once we get settled in I will start on a small 5th wheel for us to replace our current trailer.

Thank you for the compliment. If this thing comes out half as nice as any of Doug's I will be very happy. That man is an artist as well as a craftsman.

steve smoot wrote:That is without doubt the most amazing build I have ever seen. :Applause:

I do not think I will ever post another picture of my build, nope... :Embarassed:

Thanks Steve! I've seen your build and it's looking good! And you know we get grouchy without our pictures! :lol:

Miriam C wrote: Not a single detail I don't love. My goodness the finish on the inside is amazing! I don't know how you keep up with what to do next... Thumbs Up

Thank you Aunti M! I hope I am doing good with the pictures? ;)

DasBaldGuy wrote:Super, super nice build! Awesome attention to detail and excellent photo-documentation

Thank you Sir!

Weirdnerd wrote:Your camper is AWESOME!!!!, if you let me, I would like to make a copy

Thanks! Hah, if you are at all serious, you (or anyone else interested in building something similar) are more than welcome to the little bit of drawings and notes I have here.

- Frank
fromeo
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:54 pm

Ditto what everyone else said. Can you believe it? I'm at a loss for words! :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Papi » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:17 am

I am in awe of your build! :applause:
I dream of a day when a chicken can cross the road without having his motives questioned.
Papi
Teardrop Master

Postby myoung » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:56 am

Without a doubt, the most involved build on this Forum. Kudos for the meticulous attention to detail and craftsmanship. I will follow this very closely to learn from a master. Thanks.
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby AJP » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:46 am

Amazing build, I look forward to seeing the completion. If you don't mind saying any idea of the cost to build it so far?
AJP
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mezmo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:27 am

Hi fromeo,

Just wanted to give you a fast thanks for posting such a thorough
and interesting build thread. It's proof that great results come from
consistent persistent effort ! [And I'm sure there must be at least
a little talent and skill involved too !]

Visions can be accomplished !

Bravo,

Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby whtknight » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:31 am

Where's more pictures????

This is coming out great!!!

:thumbsup: :applause:
whtknight
Teardrop Builder

Postby fromeo » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:53 pm

Thanks everyone!

Should have some new pictures in about a week. My brother's work schedule has gotten a bit crazy so he hasn't been here in 2 weeks. He is supposed to have a weeks vacation starting this Monday, so if the weather holds out we will be working as much as possible this week.

I'm going to be really disappointed if he can't get a trip in before it gets cold.

AJP, all said and done he will be in about $4500. All the supplies/materials have been bought and are sitting here waiting. The only thing left is a few tubes of caulk. It could have been done for considerably less, but the add-ons (extra light fixtures, new this, better that, bought the siding instead of making it) added quite a bit to the cost.

- Frank
fromeo
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals