MyAway build - Updates for space usage & organization

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:58 pm

mcspin50 wrote:Sharon,

Way to go!!! :applause: :applause: :thumbsup:

The My Away looks wonderful in its natural habitat!

Congratulations on a job incredibly well done!

Happy camping,

Thanks, Lil. Congratulations on your cute Scamp! :thumbsup: Have fun camping. :vroom:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: MyAway build - Promised Pics Added Pg 39

Postby georgie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:06 pm

I've been looking throur your build sharon, excellent job
I've been looking at the tear drop campers and came across the compact design, with the elevating roof.
due to my limited movement in my back i needed the extra height and that desighn seemed just the job.
Sharon as a person that has built one are there any tips that you could pass on to a fellow builder?
how long did your build take to complete?
sorry for all the questions but as they say, if you don't ask you'll never know
I look forward to your advise
thanks mark
georgie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm

georgie wrote:I've been looking throur your build sharon, excellent job
I've been looking at the tear drop campers and came across the compact design, with the elevating roof.
due to my limited movement in my back i needed the extra height and that desighn seemed just the job.

Hi Mark,

First, thank you for you kindness and your inquiry. :)

I don't know what your exact physical condition causing limited movement is; but, please recognize that a lifting plywood roof can be heavy. By hinging one end, the weight is cut roughly in half, which really helps. I added what is called a pad eye (from West Marine) to the front of mine and purchased a push-pull pole (also from West Marine) to lift my roof. That helps; but, it's still like lifting a child weighing 35 pounds or more above your head. If you have any pain or movement problems with that, please consider making a smaller roof or making the material out of something else, such as a foamie roof. You might try looking at Cracker39's build, to see if that one might work for you. If you haven’t looked at Andrew’s design library, please be certain to look there too, as the real Compact can be found there, along with many other fun designs and ideas.

MyAway’s travel size is shorter, narrower, and not as long as the Compact and the floor layout is quite different. My intention was to make the trailer as small as I could while still getting everything in it that I wanted plus to have as little as possible stick out beyond the tow vehicle's lines.

Sharon as a person that has built one are there any tips that you could pass on to a fellow builder?

While I have some memorable trips planned for this summer, to date, I've only had the unit out 3 times. Indeed, I am still tweaking little things here and there on the lifting roof. I am really glad that I used simple house paint on the folding parts as I am able to find spots that rub or scrape here and there much quicker because the paint will wear off. Then, I know right where to put rubber stoppers or bumpers or right where to look to find the cause and fix it.

I have a disadvantage in that RV’s are not supposed to be on the street or in the front yard in my neighborhood and the trailer has to be outside the garage in order to put the roof up. So, I usually sneak in a couple days before or after each trip to work on it or check improvements, etc, and the neighbors are okay with that. Weather stripping the front folding wall has been a bit of a challenge; but, I think I’m close to getting it right. I’ve now camped in the rain twice and, the last time, I got up at 4 AM to check it….Phew! It was dry.

Who says it’s done? :lol: Like many projects, one tends to think of ways to make it better, be it changing to LEDs or adding removable bars for overhead storage or a coat hook or….. I wonder if that ever stops….

Actually, I took my time building, not working on it constantly; so, it took me about 3 years, chronologically. If you check the dates of my updates, you’ll see that I usually posted once a month. This build thread and the people who commented were sometimes what kept me going or got me started back on the build when I stalled out. When you get ready to build, I highly recommend starting a build thread. How many hours did it actually take? I have no idea. I was on teardrop time.

However long it took was undoubtedly longer than it would take most builders because my tools were limited. My tools were all hand-held. The electric tools that I used were a circular saw, jig saw, drill, and sander. Oh, and I did eventually break down and purchase a hand held router; but, by the time I got that, the only thing I used it on was the galley counter laminate. I sanded so much that my garage door opener won’t work anymore. :roll:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby myoung » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:46 pm

sorry for all the questions but as they say, if you don't ask you'll never know
I look forward to your advise
thanks mark

Georgie, my variation on the Compact design has a popup with a motor-driven linear actuator. The effort involved in raising the top involves pushing the button with one finger.
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Re:

Postby jeff0520 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:42 am

S. Heisley wrote:Thanks, Mike, Larry, & Becky!
Yes, I had a good time but had sweaty palms coming home though...still learning things about towing, especially backing up!. :roll:

...The Jefferson State TearJerkers are a great group of people. :thumbsup:

I understand the sweaty palms thing. Twenty years ago when I was just learning to drive a truck, there came the fateful day when Richard, my trainer told me to stop as I pulled into a truck stop. It was my 3rd day in training. Richard opened the door, and started climbing down. I thought he was going to spot me into a space as he had always done. Instead, he said, "Go ahead and put her in the space. If you have problems, I'll be in the restaurant." :shock:
I got it into the space without tearing anything up, but when I walked into the restaurant and found Richard, I STILL had the shakes.
:lol:
Hypno-Toad's Command Post, the build thread! http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50384

jeff0520
The 300 Club

Postby jeff0520 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:53 am

S. Heisley wrote:

Hi Mark,

First, thank you for you kindness and your inquiry. :)

I don't know what your exact physical condition causing limited movement is; but, please recognize that a lifting plywood roof can be heavy. By hinging one end, the weight is cut roughly in half, which really helps. I added what is called a pad eye (from West Marine) to the front of mine and purchased a push-pull pole (also from West Marine) to lift my roof. That helps; but, it's still like lifting a child weighing 35 pounds or more above your head.

A couple of strategicly placed gas lift struts could reduce that weight by a LOT. A pair of these, http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/BANSBACH-EASYLIFT-Gas-Spring-6EYH9?Pid=search in the right spot might well make a pop top raise on it's own, and you'd need a rope attached to pull it back down for travel. You might have to test with a spring scale to get the ones with the correct force, or it might go up, and need a block and tackle to pull it back down :lol:
Hypno-Toad's Command Post, the build thread! http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50384

jeff0520
The 300 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:06 am

wow sharon, i don't know how i missed the finished camper. it is super cool, beautiful job. :wine: (i used the word "finished" for lack of a better word, as i know they are never really ever finished).
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:13 am

Sharon,
I finally took the time last night to go through your whole build thread. What a beautiful job on a very complex build. How in the world did you ever come up with that design and figure out all the details that went into it??
You did a masterful job on every aspect of it. The fact that you did it with little prior experience and minimal hand tools makes it all the more impressive. You are an inspiration!!
Thank you for keeping such a detailed build thread. There is a lot here to learn from.
BRAVO!!!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:10 pm

What the... I missed the last pictures too. It looks great and I can't wait to see it in August.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:14 pm

Louella (Eaglesdare) and Becky (Oldragbaggers): Thank you for your kind words.

Bruce (Bdosborn): Thank you and see ya soon, if I haven’t bitten off my fingernails and crippled my white knuckles before then.

Jeff (Jeff520) wrote:
A couple of strategicly placed gas lift struts could reduce that weight by a LOT. A pair of these, http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/BANSBA ... Pid=search in the right spot might well make a pop top raise on it's own, and you'd need a rope attached to pull it back down for travel. You might have to test with a spring scale to get the ones with the correct force, or it might go up, and need a block and tackle to pull it back down

Jeff, regarding using lifts or an actuator like Mike (Myoung) used, shown here: gallery/image_page.php?album_id=336&image_id=79727

These mechanical lifts would require using something other than plywood lifting/folding sides or a deliberate change in the lifting roof design to allow for the lift housing. I would imagine that snap-on canvas could be used or the lifting roof might be made wider than the opening so that the non-human lifting mechanism could be housed between the stationary lifting roof lip and the point where the lifting roof rests on the stationary roof top.

For now, I am reasonably happy with the folding wood sides and my lift method, and I believe Myoung is happy with his lack of lifting sides and his lift method; but, people wishing to build this style of trailer should be aware of these issues so that they can design whatever is best for them.

- - - - -

To help people who are looking to build a TTT with a lifting roof, I have started a new topic, which you can find here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50969

Thanks all, once again, for your kindness and comments.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby myoung » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:32 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Jeff, regarding using lifts or an actuator like Mike (Myoung) used, shown here: gallery/image_page.php?album_id=336&image_id=79727

These mechanical lifts would require using something other than plywood lifting/folding sides or a deliberate change in the lifting roof design to allow for the lift housing. I would imagine that snap-on canvas could be used or the lifting roof might be made wider than the opening so that the non-human lifting mechanism could be housed between the stationary lifting roof lip and the point where the lifting roof rests on the stationary roof top.

For now, I am reasonably happy with the folding wood sides and my lift method, and I believe Myoung is happy with his lack of lifting sides and his lift method; but, people wishing to build this style of trailer should be aware of these issues so that they can design whatever is best for them.

It might not be so apparent looking at distant shots of my popup roof, but the placement of canvas or rip-stop nylon sides with screen inserts if you like are accommodated inside the inner lip of the top and the outside of the raised perimeter of the opening. There are two simple hinges on the rear and a linear actuator on the front which makes for a very stable, three-point support structure that doesn't require added support and is entirely outside the potential fabric enclosure that one might add. Also, being outside means that you could add plywood sides and a front, although the added weight and complication would seem unnecessary and would certainly intrude on the interior vertical clearance when closed.

As an added benefit, the actuator could be extended to any height rather than always either closed or fully open. Sometimes I find that just opening the top a little bit adds the right amount of ventilation and minimizes the wind blowing into the trailer. So far, I have always closed the lid when sleeping at night.
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby PcHistorian » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:18 pm

Wow! That looks incredible! The wood work is phenomenal! (Interior) The packed and unpacked exterior look first rate, too!

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=27313&start=570
(page 39 here)

Have you named it? (The "MyAway"?) Have you christened it? ;-)

Looking at your interior, the idea strikes me as "We REALLY need to come up with a set of annual awards for these trailers. Set up categories like 'innovative design', new materials, best interior by an amateur, best by hand tools only, best alternative (non-tear) design, etc..." stuff like that.

Maybe have them at the Tear-In's, instead of annually, or annually also.

But looking at your build and the categories, I think you'd be at the top of several of them with that one.

Hope to meet you and it in person.
Sincerely
Elf Cottage

Build Documentary
https://sites.google.com/site/pchistorian/home/hobby/camping/elf-build
Build Forum
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=48462
Build Album
http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=42

progress is progress. (don't look a gift "progress" in the mouth.)
PcHistorian
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:04 pm

PcHistorian wrote:Wow! That looks incredible! The wood work is phenomenal! (Interior) The packed and unpacked exterior look first rate, too!

Thanks! :)

Have you named it? (The "MyAway"?) Have you christened it? ;-)

It's still MyAway; but sometimes I call it M.A. (My Away) because my Jeep is called B.J. (Blue Jeep) I didn't christen it but it kind of got christened by jealous vandals, last summer. I'm still recovering from that.

Looking at your interior, the idea strikes me as "We REALLY need to come up with a set of annual awards for these trailers. Set up categories like 'innovative design', new materials, best interior by an amateur, best by hand tools only, best alternative (non-tear) design, etc..." stuff like that. Maybe have them at the Tear-In's, instead of annually, or annually also. But looking at your build and the categories, I think you'd be at the top of several of them with that one.

Thanks again! They do have awards at some of the individual gatherings; however, those awards usually go to teardrops and not to TTT's. Anyway, my TTT is not a favorite and has never won any awards. I built it to enjoy and not for contests. It gives me what I need to feel comfortable when traveling or simply getting 'away' for a while. Like you, I have a tendency to think "outside the box". :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby lloyd » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:35 pm

Hi, I've just come across your build and it is similar to what I have been looking to build. You've done a few things that I like and will probably incorporate in my build (when it happens). In the meantime I have a few questions I hope you can answer for me (I apologize if you've already answered them, I haven't made it through all 42 pages of posts).

1) What is the final weight and tongue weight?
2) How long are your beds? Given the measurements on the first page (61"x100") the beds must occupy the entire length of the cabin (minus the front cabinet) when made up.
3) What trailer did you start with? What size?

And, I guess I should have opened with - very nice work!

Thanks, Lloyd.
Lloyd.
lloyd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:24 am

Sharon, your build is totally awesome! Can't wait to see it up close and personal! :applause:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals