Re: The Pup's Penthouse - 7/17/12 - Flooring

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby synaps3 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:50 am

Clifford Loose wrote:Any chance you can talk to someone about leaving the tear together as you start getting farther along (surely if they can see that you're making steady progress it wouldn't be a problem)? The area looks slightly familiar in your pictures - do you live near the Ikea store?

Perhaps. I should be okay to keep it in the parking garage once it is relatively finished. If the walls and roof are on -- even if it is unfinished -- the complex won't have a problem. It just can't look like a huge mess.

You are dead-on about my location. I live less than a block from Ikea!

I got distracted yesterday and didn't finish the passenger-side wall. I have pics I need to upload though, maybe tonight. :)
-- Dave

Build log: here
synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby Classic Finn » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:53 pm

synaps3 wrote:
Clifford Loose wrote:Any chance you can talk to someone about leaving the tear together as you start getting farther along (surely if they can see that you're making steady progress it wouldn't be a problem)? The area looks slightly familiar in your pictures - do you live near the Ikea store?

Perhaps. I should be okay to keep it in the parking garage once it is relatively finished. If the walls and roof are on -- even if it is unfinished -- the complex won't have a problem. It just can't look like a huge mess.

You are dead-on about my location. I live less than a block from Ikea!

I got distracted yesterday and didn't finish the passenger-side wall. I have pics I need to upload though, maybe tonight. :)

So Dave do you get to hear any Sveeeedish since you live next to Ikea? ;)
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby synaps3 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:32 am

Classic Finn wrote:So Dave do you get to hear any Sveeeedish since you live next to Ikea? ;)

We hear the occasional "Sveeeedish" cussing when someone loses a pile of furniture from the top of their car.

I see people load compact cars with at least the car's weight worth of flat-packed furniture loaded on top and inside the car. Their wheels are completely in the wheel wells, the wife is crouching so that a long piece of furniture can hang out the window, and the kids are strewn on top of boxes in the back seat. It's really quite a sight to see. :lol:

We arrived at my parents' house on Monday to house-sit. I figured I would get tons of progress, but my parents left their car in the garage with no keys. I was stuck with half a garage, and no place to work other than outside. I pulled the trailer in and began to unload, pondering how the heck I will build here.

Maddie helped me unload, and my parents' cat, Coco, had to approve of the trailer before unloading began:
I think Coco was out for blood. Maddie looks paranoid, for good reason.

After I had everything leaned against the wall of the garage, I remembered that my parents' basement is unfinished. Perfect! I'll work there. It was late though, so I moved everything to the basement Tuesday night.

I laid out my profile for the drivers-side wall, and put the windows in place to measure for framing:

Once those lines were traced, I went to bed. I had a long day at work, and was quite tired.

Wednesday, I started the framing:

And finished it last night (Thursday). My fiancee, Marcia, wanted to help, so she started helping with the insulation:

We didn't quite finish, we only got this far:
because I had to get up this morning at 6am for a presentation.

Tonight we'll finish the wall, clean up our mess, and pack up to go home tomorrow morning. 8)

I just got back from the Tag Office, and the trailer is officially registered and legal. :)
-- Dave

synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:44 pm

synaps3 wrote:I just got back from the Tag Office, and the trailer is officially registered and legal. :)

Nice! I really can't wait until I can say the same!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby synaps3 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:23 am

More progress...

Insulation and border frame almost there:

Wall panels attached:

Flip to attach other side:
Hmm, seems to be some sawdust on the lens :lol:

Other side attached:
and weighted down to help liquid nails set.

Time to pack up the walls to go back home. :?
-- Dave

synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby DasBaldGuy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:36 am

Weights and any other 2ton-heavy thing are my favorite clamps

:thumbsup:
DasBaldGuy
Donating Member

Postby Carter » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:47 pm

Dave,
Enjoying your build thread, Looks like you have your shittthuff together. And I love the dog

Looks like your are enjoying yourself and that's what it's all about.

Jim
I need a new Avatar. I'd put my dog up there but she doesn't look much like me. She's the skinny one.
Carter
Gold Donating Member

Postby H-Balm » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:57 am

What thickness are you working with?

Panel wood=
Insulation=
Skeleton/Framing wood=

Thanks for your help.
H-Balm
Teardrop Master

Postby synaps3 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:32 am

H-Balm wrote:Image

What thickness are you working with?

Panel wood=
Insulation=
Skeleton/Framing wood=

Thanks for your help.

Panel wood= 5mm luaun, around 1/8" thick
Insulation= 1/2" thick rated. It's really about 3/4" thick, I measured in the store...
Skeleton/Framing wood= standard 1x3's for the frame itself, using 1x4's for the outer perimeter so that it has more thickness when I trim it to the curve.

Total wall thickness is about 1". It's quite strong -- pocket screws are wonderful. :thumbsup:
-- Dave

synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby H-Balm » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:05 pm

Thanks for the numbers!

I enjoy your journal, it's sort of like "Where's Waldo?", you have to look for the dog in the photos.
H-Balm
Teardrop Master

Postby TwilightLane » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:50 pm

Hey looking great. More dogs pics please!!
Rob & Lori
Aspen & Tundra
My Instructable: http://www.instructables.com/id/Teardro ... l-Trailer/
TwilightLane
The 300 Club

Postby synaps3 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:07 am

Phew, I've had a busy last few days. I made some progress -- not much.

I left off when me, my fiancee, and the dogs were house-sitting at my parents. I managed to snake the wall out through the double-doors in the back of the basement -- it BARELY fit. I couldn't have made it an inch taller.

The finished wall went on the trailer, on top of a temporary frame that I built when I made the first wall:
I'm at the bottom of the picture, but I have a dumb look on my face.
:lol:

Next, I hauled it all home... Where it sat for awhile. Lots of homework, etc. Technically, last week was my spring break though -- so I decided I had to take at least one day off. I took Friday off and worked on the trailer a lot. Both walls were raised, attached, and many of the roof spars were put in place:

Unfortunately, the trailer is now stuck on the ground floor -- and can't go up the rest of the parking garage because it is too tall! The leasing office doesn't seem to mind, and the maintenance dudes in the complex keep telling me how awesome I am for building anything of that scale at my age. I don't let it get to my head too much. ;)

Here's another view, more from the front:

To assist with building the trailer on the ground floor, I loaded up my old cargo trailer with all my tools, extra wood, etc... and have been driving it down to the ground level whenever I need to work.

Unfortunately, people drive like morons in the parking garage. A lady in a Mercedes was roaring down the parking garage, and went around a corner completely in my lane. I had to SLAM on my brakes with the cargo trailer in-tow, and the 4x8 boards leaning against the wall fell over on my windows. On the plus side, she slammed her brakes too, stopping inches from my bumper.

She had the nerve to flick me off, reverse, then drive off angrily again. :? I didn't even do anything wrong! I didn't recognize her car unfortunately. She was probably a guest. I wish she wasn't though, or she could have paid for the window that broke from her bad driving:

Only one window out of the three broke, but it was the biggest one.
:cry:

Luckily, there is an identical one on Ebay now... I'll try to snag it when the auction ends. :roll:

More doggie pics: :thumbsup:

Maddie in the car:

Getting into trouble in the car:

Jumping for her ball:

Relaxin in our old yard (behind the duplex):

Lookin around (probably for squirrels):
-- Dave

synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby John T. Hodgen » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:24 pm

Man, Dave that suxs big time about the window. In my younger days, maybe now, I'd found her, chewed her out, and if she hadn't paid for the window she would have to pay for hers. Then it's off to jail....Man I'm glad I grew up and know better now :lol: :lol: Really that sucks.
Til later by the fire--John T. & Linda 8)
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

Postby Trackstriper » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:55 pm

Dave,
Yeah, sorry to hear about that window. It looks like you're making some great headway with your project. :applause: :applause:
Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Postby mandy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:10 pm

Sorry for the Window Dave :( :cry: . Can you take it to an rv repair shop or an auto glass repair shop and get it fixed ? Or is it just cheeper geting it from E-bay?
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals