Re: The Pup's Penthouse - 7/17/12 - Flooring

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby vwbeamer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:47 pm

Call it the mirror image.
vwbeamer
Teardrop Master

Postby tinksdad » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:17 am

Get the reversible clock/magnetic dart board, hang it at one end of the bed so you have something to do at night when not otherwise occupied (sleeping, watching TV, etc)....

Modify one of these to replace the water spigot on your sink....

Decorate with the appropriate accesories...

Add some artwork for the walls (SO may have some imput here)....

And call it the RATHSKELLAR or maybe THE PUB
tinksdad
500 Club

Tongue Length

Postby down under tech » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:19 am

Hello Dave: I like your design for your Ps & Qs (Pints & Quarts), British term for suds you order at the pub. When you get a little too tipsy the bar maid would tell you to mind your Ps & Qs. Meaning settle down. I think you have heard this term before.

I want to know about your tongue extension for my HF frame. I like it for making it easier to back up the trailer or more clearance for dropping tail gate on my pick-up. I am building a 4x8 "Cubby". Give me the details (if you Will?) on the length, size of tube used and I would like mine to be similar to what you have done. Thanks Much,

[/quote] "Daanng" ... Joe Dirt
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Re: New build! (no name yet, suggestions welcome)

Postby Conestoga » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:29 pm

synaps3 wrote:Image

Great shot! She has character. What kind of dog is it?

I have a similar one, vintage 1993 model.

Conestoga
Donating Member

Re: Tongue Length

Postby synaps3 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:17 pm

Lots of beer fans here! I might have to figure out how to tap a keg with Guinness, with this kind of response. :lol:

down under tech wrote:I want to know about your tongue extension for my HF frame. I like it for making it easier to back up the trailer or more clearance for dropping tail gate on my pick-up. I am building a 4x8 "Cubby". Give me the details (if you Will?) on the length, size of tube used and I would like mine to be similar to what you have done.

The tube is a bit over 2" square -- I measured the inside of the standard coupler and used that as the outer diameter as reference.

The tube needs to be about 10' long, and you drill several holes -- one at the back, just in front of the axle, one at the support strut, and one at the front crossbar. The bar slides perfectly through the V-connection at the front, and you just tighten the top and bottom plates over it. At the hitch end, you use the same coupler it came with and drill holes in the new extension to mount to.

You'll want at least 1/8" square tube -- probably twice that for peace of mind.

Conestoga wrote:Great shot! She has character. What kind of dog is it?

I have a similar one, vintage 1993 model.

She's a Jack Russell Terrier+. We think she might have some dalmatian in her too. She's a new model -- late 2006. We're not quite sure what she is -- she's smaller than she normally would have been; she was completely emaciated when we adopted her. She's up to a healthy 25lbs now, and goes everywhere (other than work and school) with me.

What breed is yours? I don't think I've seen a terrier like that before..

An update on the build -- there is no update! :lol: I have allocated the funds I need to build, but it's too d*mn cold and wet!!! :rainy: :?
-- Dave

Build log: here
synaps3
The 300 Club

Re: Tongue Length

Postby Conestoga » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:37 pm

synaps3 wrote:Lots of beer fans here! I might have to figure out how to tap a keg with Guinness, with this kind of response. :lol:

:beer: count me in!

synaps3 wrote:She's a Jack Russell Terrier+. We think she might have some dalmatian in her too. She's a new model -- late 2006. We're not quite sure what she is -- she's smaller than she normally would have been; she was completely emaciated when we adopted her. She's up to a healthy 25lbs now, and goes everywhere (other than work and school) with me.

What breed is yours? I don't think I've seen a terrier like that before..

Many have said Jack Russell +, and who knows what else. I adopted her when she was 2, she looked a lot like yours, spry @20 lbs. The long hair is the odd feature.
Conestoga
Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:45 am

Thanks for the info. I thought the HF A Frame set up was very flimsy. Friday I will pick up the steel for mine. I am going to cut the bump off of the HF top part that the coupler hooks up to. I am using the Kuffel Creek plans for the 4x8 Cubby. They wanted me to use the two center cross members on the sides of the frame to stiffen it up and the make a new cross member out of a 2x4 piece of wood. Not!!! I got a piece of steel tubing and made my own cross member for there. I can weld some brackets to the extension & mount the extension with bolts. I am trying to get my pics up-loaded here. Stand by for that. I will start a build thread then. You can see what I have put on here by using "search" for New TD Build "Cubby"

Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby synaps3 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:34 am

I'd get rid of the bump too, if I had time. It'll be one of those "eventually" things for me (especially because of my limited tools -- can you imagine trying to kill that with a dremel?)

I'll look forward to your build thread! If you have any more questions on the frame, let me know. I've modded the crap out of this thing. :lol:
-- Dave

synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby down under tech » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:33 pm

Hi Dave: I bought the steel today. I got 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" square tube by .125" wall thickness, ten foot long. $32.00, w/my discount through my work. We have an account at "Proto Fab" in Sparks. That is the town that boarders on Reno.

Reno is so close to Hell, you can see Sparks from here!!!

The HF coupler is 2 1/2" wide. I can reuse it. Save me some dough !!!
Ten feet looks long to me but I will use what I need to make it work. Maybe 8' or 9'. I will sandwich in at the front of the HF assembly and mount it to the first 3 cross members. #3 is steel I put in in place of the 2x4 wooden one the plans call for. Hefty, Hefty; Wimpy, Wimpy. I will then weld some mounting tabs to each side of the tube and mount to each CM w/two bolts each. I will take pics and post when I have it completed. The bump will be removed by my 4 1/2" Makita angle grinder w/cut off wheel discs. It will make short work of it. I have my pics, so far shrunk down to post them here but I am not sure yet on how to do it. Stand by. I have this week-end to learn how to upload photos on my Mac. I will start a build thread then.

You guys take care,

"Daanng" ... Joe Dirt
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby teardrop_focus » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:31 am

synaps3, I like yer do0gie. :)

Good luck on your trailer. The manner you wish to build it, dealing with the imposed logistics, is ambitious. Again, the best of luck to you.

:thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby synaps3 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:17 am

As I'm sure most of you spent much of your time today, I also spent the whole day doting on my better half. :angel:

Luckily, I got a chance to sneak away for an hour or so to get some progress. I ordered all my windows and a hatch for the hookups. Here are my ebay scores:
- 48"x22" tinted window: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250576805448&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT
- 24"x20" tinted window: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250576851565&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT
- 29"x18" cargo hatch: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250576848905&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

All three items were from the same etailler, so my total bill INCLUDING shipping was just under $70!

I also have a 36"x18" slider window (no tint though) that will go in the rear hatch. Taking these into account, I redid my renders in sketchup, and came up with some pretty pictures for your viewing pleasure:

Passenger Side:

Driver Side:

Back End:

Overview:

Side cutaway with scooter in:
It fits!

Let's hope the forecast is wrong about tomorrow so I can go get some luan! :lol:

Until next time,

Dave
-- Dave

synaps3
The 300 Club

Silver Nugget Tongue

Postby down under tech » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi Dave: I was able to post my pics in my album. Thanks for the help. You can check out how I did mine. I extended the coupler by 2 feet. I will mount my spare tire under the rear of trailer to help off-set the added weight to the front. See ya,
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby riverfront » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:52 pm

Two questions:
1) Is there any support for the plywood hanging over on the sides? You say earlier that it is 16" per side. I don't see anything but the trailer frame under there. If so I am concerned.
2) Has the axle been moved back like most HF trailers?If not does the scooter position balance your tong weight?
Bruce
riverfront
Teardrop Master

Postby riverfront » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:59 pm

Two questions:
1) Is there any support for the plywood hanging over on the sides? You say earlier that it is 16" per side. I don't see anything but the trailer frame under there. If so I am concerned.
2) Has the axle been moved back like most HF trailers?If not does the scooter position balance your tong weight?

By my calculations the box is 6'8" X 12' on a 4X8 base?
Bruce
riverfront
Teardrop Master

Postby synaps3 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:43 pm

1) The plywood has a 1x3 support frame below it. You'll see it once I get the bottom waterproofed...

2) The axle has not been moved. This is a TTT -- not a teardrop. My goal is to make this thing into a "free" hotel room for when we go on vacation. Therefore, as much as possible should be enclosed. Using that logic, I do not have a heavy galley on the back, and have a much more even weight distribution.

I'm not sure how the scooter weight will come into play yet. From my renders, it looks like most of the weight will normally be behind the axle. If my tongue weight is too low, I'll back the scooter in so that more weight is on the tongue.
-- Dave

synaps3
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals