"Silver Nugget" Teardrop Trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Update, 05-15-2011

Postby down under tech » Sun May 15, 2011 9:45 am

I finished up installing the second layer of insulation in the roof last weekend. I cut troughs in the insulation to make it so it would set flat down over the wires and not pinch them.

The two pieces of pine were used to hold down the edges of the insulation until the foam panel glue dried.

I cut out the hole for the wires to drop down through the front overhead cabinet. This is before the second layer of insulation was installed. I used the automotive convoluted wire loom (not shown) over the wires where it goes through the ceiling to keep the wires from being chafed by the plywood ceiling panel.

A big piece of the pie was started yesterday. That update is on the way. Stand By... :thumbsup:
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Update, 05-15-2011

Postby down under tech » Sun May 15, 2011 10:45 am

OK, as promised, here is the major accomplishment I got fabricated yesterday. The galley hatch frame, YES... It took me quite a bit of time to get it done. I just followed the Kuffel Creek plans and I think it turned out very well. It was so windy yesterday I thought I was going to get blown away. LOL I didn't like the spacing of the spars from the plans, so I placed them more evenly between each other. I think the marks for the profile on the side walls are more for getting the walls cut out properly than for spar placement on the hatch. When I put in the last screw, I showed Terry and she was ecstatic that I am now getting closer for that first camp out in it. I am ready NOW !!!

Today it is still windy and rain is called for. I am so glad I was able to get the hatch skeleton fabed up. More to come, sometime when the weather cooperates.
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dusty82 » Sun May 15, 2011 11:53 am

Looking great!

Nice spring we're having, huh? I'm waiting for a stretch of good weather long enough to let me sandblast, prime, and paint my frame. Doesn't look like it's going to be anytime soon...

Keep on cruisin'! I'm loving the updates!
TV: 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport

Currently stuck in a tent.
Dusty82
The 300 Club

Postby CliffinGA » Sun May 15, 2011 3:05 pm

Lookin great Johnny!! That is a great accomplishment that I am not looking forward to in the next couple of weeks!! Keep it up brother!

Cliff :thumbsup: :applause:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby atahoekid » Sun May 15, 2011 10:16 pm

Great to hear you made some progress this weekend despite our crappy weather. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You'll be ready to go in no time!!
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Wed May 18, 2011 8:32 pm

Dusty82: This weather is enough to P.O. anyone. I will follow along with your build. Have a good one.

CliffGA: Thanks dude... Your build is looking very nice, too.

atahoekid: Thanks, I am going in high gear when the weather is good enough to work outside. I would like to get it campable by the end of June...???
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Update, 05-18-2011

Postby down under tech » Wed May 18, 2011 8:39 pm

I got over one more hurdle this afternoon. I applied the 1/8" luan plywood on the hatch. I was able to get it on right before it started to sprinkle. I used PL premium construction adhesive and I held it down with screws across the spars every four inches. I will remove the screws after the adhesive cures. I was afraid the screws would mess up the plywood side gussets, so I tacked it down on the edges of them with my brad nailer.

I laid it on the back of the TD to take a picture of it to show you. What do you think of that? :o

Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Fri May 20, 2011 11:20 am

It looks like it's going to be really sharp!
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Re: Update, 05-18-2011

Postby atahoekid » Sat May 21, 2011 12:53 am

down under tech wrote:
I laid it on the back of the TD to take a picture of it to show you. What do you think of that? :o

I think it looks awesome... Is that big box store luan? I've got my brain stirring again after I bought some 12 ply baltic birch at Mastercraft in Sparks. (for the bath remodel). Just got to thinking if I should go baltic birch or big store ply for my tear.

It's looking great. I think if the better weather holds, you'll make your end of June target. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Sat May 21, 2011 9:37 am

Cliff: Thank you... I hope is looks OK when it is finished. It has been a long battle doing this outside. But, now I think I can see the end approaching. I am pleased at how it is coming along, too.

atahoekid: Thanks "Kid"... I got the 1/8" (2.7mm) plywood from Home Depot. It is called hard wood luan. They say it is waterproof, OK... I have found that HD has better wood and prices than Lowes. I plan to put on a coat of epoxy on it any way to seal it. I think it was $9.00 a sheet.

It will be covered in "Silver Nugget" brand mill finish aluminum after all is said and done. :lol:
I plan on working on it today, if I don't get soaked by rain.
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat May 21, 2011 9:50 am

Johnny,

:thinking: I have found that some of the workers at HD talk with warm wind when they really don't know the truth. If you have an unused scrap of that plywood, test it by leaving a wet paper towel on it and see what it does. It may change your mind about how much you do to protect it from the elements. :roll:

PS. It does have a beautiful wood grain!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby CliffinGA » Sat May 21, 2011 3:21 pm

Johnny its looking good bud and as Sharen said, some of the people just don't know what they're talking about. I worked there several years ago and they trained us very well back then but now they take them at the cheapest they can hire them at and put an apron on them. I purchased a couple of sheets of it and had it setting on some 2x4's laying on the floor of the garage and the condensation in there this winter and it delaminated.

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Wed May 25, 2011 8:21 am

Absolutely beautifull !!
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby LDK » Thu May 26, 2011 6:45 pm

Hey Johnny

That hatch lid looks good. :thumbsup: I've got the cubby manual too but I'm doing mine alittle different. I was looking at the manual the other day and I was having trouble visualizing the bottom of the hatch where it meets the floor so I e-mailed kevin from kuffel creek and he said he used t-molding along the bottom of the hatch to seal the bottom. I was wondering how you're going to do yours. I myself might just use 1/16"x2"wide aluminum across the bottom of mine.
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Update, 06-04-2011

Postby down under tech » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:38 pm

I was able to work on the TD a few days last week. I applied the outer plywood skin by gluing it down with PL Premium construction adhesive and I used screws to hold it down while the adhesive dried. After a couple of days, I removed all of the screws. Last night, I filled in the screw holes and today I will sand down the surfaces. I want to seal all of the roof to waterproof it as an extra precaution to keep the dry rot monster away.

The squiggly lines are so I did not run a screw into any of the wires.

Here is how it looks after the holes were filled in. It still need minimal sanding before the sealing can take place.

Today I hope to get the hatch wired for the tail and brake lights and the license plate light. Then I will see if I can skin the inside of the hatch with more plywood. I will take some more pics and post them later today if I can.

Everyone have a great day !!! :)
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals