Fiberglass fenders building your own filling in box may 4

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby glassice » Tue May 04, 2010 7:10 pm

after you build the box and you want to do a shape it will be easer to sand shet rock mud and get it clouse THEN you need to seall it I like to use bindo when you wet sand it wont wash the plaste away. then cover it with one coat of krylon primer sealer it is laytex then try to use flat epoxe paint over it over it it sands better Do 3 coats better to block sand then block sand and some more and yes more.And if you are happy now it time to do the glass .If you have a part that is done you can coppy ItImagein side the box
Last edited by glassice on Tue May 04, 2010 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is not the return ON my investment that I am concerned about; it is the return OF my investment
glassice
Silver Donating Member

English?

Postby danlott » Tue May 04, 2010 7:31 pm

I would really like to get some information from this thread, but I am having a very hard time understanding anything that is written. I tried using an online language converter, but I am not sure what language to tell the converter to use to translate it to English.

With the lack of any real pictures and proper English descriptions of the pictures this information is fairly useless.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby glassice » Tue May 04, 2010 7:50 pm

As you plan did you get a hitch cover with the tear on it you can incorporate it in to the side.look at fire place wood it has different shapes do you save pigs are what ever that can be in corporate
Last edited by glassice on Wed May 05, 2010 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is not the return ON my investment that I am concerned about; it is the return OF my investment
glassice
Silver Donating Member

Postby glassice » Tue May 04, 2010 8:02 pm

sorry dan I did this buck and mold it was sold in 07 and I have 1 set of fenders left been on the wall for ever so trying to pull old pic and get them smaler it seam to take for ever just to find them .When I get to the glass i will be doing a willys fe.... and will have more Pic there more in my alu.
Last edited by glassice on Wed May 05, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
glassice
Silver Donating Member

Postby PaulC » Tue May 04, 2010 8:05 pm

glassice wrote:after you build the box and you want to do a shape it will be easer to sand shet rock mud and get it clouse THEN you need to seall it I like to use bindo when you wet sand it wont wash the plaste away. then cover it with one coat of krylon primer sealer it is laytex then try to use flat epoxe paint over it over it it sands better Do 3 coats better to block sand then block sand and some more and yes more.And if you are happy now it time to do the glass .If you have a part that is done you can coppy It

This is complete gibberish to me :? I would find it much easier to split an atom than understanding your explanation here Glassice. No disrespect intended but is it possible to explain this in simpler, easier terms.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby PaulC » Tue May 04, 2010 8:07 pm

glassice wrote:As you plan did you get a hitch cove with the tear on it you can incorporate it in to the side.look at fire place wood it has different shapes go to a sewing shop and look at there shape are do you save pigs are what ever that can be in corporate

Same here Mate. I cannot understand why the hitch cover has anything to do with fenders. Or fireplace wood for that matter :?

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby parnold » Tue May 04, 2010 8:21 pm

after you build the box and you want to do a shape it will be easer to sand shet rock mud and get it clouse THEN you need to seall it I like to use bindo when you wet sand it wont wash the plaste away. then cover it with one coat of krylon primer sealer it is laytex then try to use flat epoxe paint over it over it it sands better Do 3 coats better to block sand then block sand and some more and yes more.And if you are happy now it time to do the glass

From what I can gather.. he is taking us through building a wooden form to make the fiberglass fenders. Earlier in the post I believe he mentioned using foam between the two boards, now he is suggesting to use sheet rock mud a.k.a spackle to fill and shape the fender, leaving just enough room to use Bondo. The sheet rock mud sands real easy, but needs to be sealed with Bondo, which will stand up to the wet sanding (block sanding) that is required.

I'm not sure why he recommends latex before the epoxy though.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby glassice » Tue May 04, 2010 8:32 pm

You have taken your time to make ,it look like your trailer then you put the same old fe .... on you are making a buck for what you want it to look like so add some shape to it fireplace mantel's have small shapes in them Ice box magnets have shapes that can be splach in to the fiberglass This is the only buck that i did pic. of back in07 and sold and have 1 set of fe..... will try to load more pic latex paint will let small cracks that you get when the mud drys will not show in the epoxe paint and ep paint dose not fell the sand paper as fast Image back of box spacer sheet rock mudImage you can not say the fe... word and not getting some up set. You can not help but sand in to the mud so don't fight it . When your ready to do the glass this is all you need if just starting out get a pack of paint pan liners IF SOME TELL you to use just the pan just smile they have no clue don"t even buy the panImage When start to do glass 8 to 16 oz at a time is best to work with that all the liner will hold when you mix mek in it can be in a deep pan but as time goes by you want it as thin as you can get it and the liners will lay flat and if it sets up new cheep pan not stopping to clean just 1 pan
glassice
Silver Donating Member

Postby glassice » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:35 am

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=67447[http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=67446img][/img]
glassice
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Build Journals