My Epiphany - Sanding - Sanding - Sanding

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: My Epiphany - Sanding - Sanding - Sanding

Postby Alan_H » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:11 pm

Did you get 'er done?
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby parnold » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:43 pm

Alan_H wrote:Did you get 'er done?

I am still cramming away trying to finish off. I just painted the outside today with the final coats, but need to add the stripe. I am working on the table today. I have the slide out functional, but not all the propane lines run, so I will carry the LP bottle separate and will hook it up manually for next weeks maiden trip. I have also been helping my son tile and plumb a bathroom, so have been too busy to post pictures of the progress. Actually I got a lot more done in the last couple weeks than I imagined, I have been highly motivated. Pictures coming soon!!! I promise!!!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:55 pm

:D I can hardly wait to see the pictures! It's a good design.
We're watching and waiting patiently. :SG Git'er done!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby parnold » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:07 pm

I want to thank those of you who have been curious and commented on this build. It made me appreciate the camaraderie of TNTTT.COM once again.

The last few weeks have been a whirlwind of activity for me. I had a trip to Illinois that I cancelled on, and missed keeping a tradition of meeting two of my camping buddies each year. Granted we only started at Walk the Winds 2012, but two of the friends I made there have turned into yearly get togethers. Anyway, I injured my back, but fortunately for me, activity was actually good for it so I began the restart of my build with earnest. After repairing a couple minor water damage areas, I sanded, applied polyester resin, sanded, applied polyester.. well you get it. By the end of my vacation, I had sealed the outer shell of the trailer to my satisfaction. I believe it was 5 additional coats of polyester resin. I then installed the windows, and after building the door it was pretty much water tight!
:applause:
I had felt that I accomplished so much that my ambition continued, and each night when I got home from work I continued to finish off the inside. I built the two benches, one housed the A/C unit, battery and battery charger, and the other has a hinged lid for easy storage. I also built a cabinet alongside the bed where the wheel well was.
My dad passed away on Friday of the week after my vacation.
We all grieve differently, and I make no apologies for my way of dealing with extreme emotion. I found comfort in continuing my work on the trailer. First, my love for camping was from my father, so it was fitting in a way, and the activity allowed me to deal with my emotions on a more mental level.
So here is what I've been doing for the past few weeks.
I bought a $4.97 sheet from Wally World and made curtains. (Yes I sew!)

I framed out the slide out. If you look carefully you can see the wheels on the far left side of the frame on the bottom. The design concept was so simple that it eluded me for a long, long time. I simply grab the outer edge (right side of this picture) and pick up on it to put the rest of the weight on the back wheels, then just pull it out the side of the trailer. The wheels keep it from pulling all the way out as they hit the lip of the hatch. I have two pieces of pipe which now have thumbscrews and two pipes to use as outer legs.

Here it is most of the way done. Counter space to the right of the stove, and storage to the left. I will probably put a cover on the left side, but decided to put that off until I test fly it all. The legs in this pic are held from sliding through the pipe by hose clamps. Way too wobly, which is why I went with the thumb screws.

Same shot a little further away, to give a better perspective of size.

This was today's accomplishment, finishing the table, and getting the wall bracket installed. As you can see, I still need slipcovers.

More pictures tomorrow if the rain lets up.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:38 pm

Looking good there Paul.

I'm sorry about the loss of your father. I sure do get what you are saying about the meditative benefits of keeping your hands and mind busy while still working on other mental tasks and healing. I use my camper time that way often.

Good to have you back in the community. :)
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:49 am

So far today:

Painting the black stripe

Cushions are coming along. Lots of hand sewing to do now, these are mostly pinned together at this point.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:09 pm

The decal I made for the back.

As the title of this thread has been showing for the last three years, I had intended to name my trailer My Epiphany. The trailer sat idle for almost three years, and the 2nd week that I was earnestly working on it's completion my dad passed away. In the time immediately after, I found solace, and time for inner reflection while working on the trailer, so I decided that I would honor my father somehow with it's name. After all, my love of camping came from my father, and family.

My father's ultimate dream was to run a Christian campground, and he had the name picked out for it, Shiloh. He even purchased 107 acres in Pennsylvania, had a large field cleared, and built a block bathhouse. I am not sure why, but he never fulfilled his dream, and I never had the courage to ask him why, or if he resented it. I think he was anticipating it being a family business, and none of us children were interested. My own guilt kept me from ever really discussing it with him. He sold the property some 25 years later, and never spoke of the campground idea again, although he would often reminisce about the times we shared at the property as a family.

Shiloh means "place of peace". I will think of my dad often while continuing the legacy of travel, and enjoying all the beauty that the world has to offer.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:42 am

Graphic for the front is done!

Stove works!. I don't have the propane lines all set, so for right now, I will just run the hose from the stove directly to the regulator and the tank. Eventually it will all be plumbed and the furnace will also have propane and the bottle can be permanently mounted on the tongue.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:49 am

Nice. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:06 pm

Ohhh! Nice! :yes:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby aggie79 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:13 am

S. Heisley wrote:Ohhh! Nice! :yes:

+1 :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Wanna Be » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:54 pm

KCStudly wrote:Nice. :thumbsup:

+2 NICE !!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause: :applause:

Now for some madin voyage pictures, And a report about it's behavior.

Wanna Be

;) ;)
This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.
~Elmer Davis

"Well, if you can't believe what you read in a comic book, what can you believe?" ~ Bullwinkle J. Moose

Also I am a professional spelling butcher.. I don't carry a dictionary and my spell check is broke!!
Wanna Be
Gold Donating Member

Postby parnold » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:44 am

Wanna Be wrote:

+2 NICE !!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause: :applause:

Now for some madin voyage pictures, And a report about it's behavior.

Wanna Be

;) ;)

Like this?

Towed beautifully. My KIA downshifted on a lot of the hills, but never struggled really. I didn't need the mirror extenders that I bought, my visibility was perfect, and it backs up much easier than a teardrop, or I'm finally getting the hang of backing up. :R

Best of all, it did not seem to affect my braking at all, that worried me more than anything. The KIA has good brakes apparently!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby ieheg2 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:56 am

Hello Paul!
I'm very glad you're finished building your trailer!
:thumbsup:
This year I also made a small motorhome, here's the video:
:thinking:
Treat people the way you want, that would treat you.
ieheg2
Teardrop Builder

Postby parnold » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:38 am

wow!

Very well thought out! I like it! Beautiful!!
parnold
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals