My Epiphany - Sanding - Sanding - Sanding

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Slouch .. I think I have a name! Epiphany

Postby aratman » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:16 am

What do you think about this same layout but with the bed converting to a couch? That would give you room for the outside kitchen and a place to sit on a rainy day beside the table.
aratman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby parnold » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:08 am

aratman wrote:What do you think about this same layout but with the bed converting to a couch? That would give you room for the outside kitchen and a place to sit on a rainy day beside the table.

I think that's a great idea, and I think it was Mike that suggested I do that, but since I am building this for myself, I don't see that as a need that I have.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:33 am

I love your design Paul.

I like the slide out galley. You get the best of both worlds, no sacrificing of interior floor space to a hatch galley and it still looks like you have it all the basic needs covered.

TV and radio are nice because assuming you're stuck inside due to rotten weather, you have something to do. Otherwise you'd be outside socializing, right?

The best gain is the porta-potty, and to my thinking the only thing the teardrop lacks that I would really love to have. I know we have our cabana or tent outside potty rooms, but an inside area is just so much more private.

I agree with you in that I would not yield too many considerations based on resale value. The beauty and appeal of these trailers is that we build them for OURSELVES. If we wanted something that is standardized and optimized for resale value there are plenty of good used commercially built trailers out there that are built to appeal to the largest number of people (and would probably actually cost LESS in the end than what many of us invest in our homebuilts). If you're going to go to all the work and expense of designing and building your own, by all means it should be perfect for "you, you, nobody but you, boo-boo-be-doo."

And I like the name too.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:34 am

Here are the promised pictures.

First, an exciting photo of my first load of lumber. :)

A close-up of the joint that my router made with the special bit. Two of these butted together, with a 1/4 board glued in place acts like a continuous biscuit.

I used plenty of glue as you can see here, I smeared the excess with my fingers.

Today's lesson learned. Self tapping screws pretty much suck. I ended up pre-drilling all the holes, hence the need for two drills. There are 46 screws holding the floor to the frame. This was how the original pop-up was done. No bolts, just lots of screws.

And lastly, I laid some tape down on the floor to get a feel for the dimensions. The tape is a little misleading because the walls curve out in the front and back, so the bench seating, and the bed will actually have a larger area at 14" above floor level.

And then I took a break to enjoy some of this.

parnold
Donating Member

Postby StPatron » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:28 pm

Lookin' good, Paul. :thumbsup:

Hard to tell from the pic if your flooring has reduced the original size of the wheel well opening??? Wheel removal on that frame style is a PITA as designed, sure don't want to compromise it. Just can't tell from the pic, thought it worth mentioning.
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:24 pm

Thanks for the concern Gary. I read here, perhaps your thread about the necessary size, so the openings are exactly the same size as in the pop-up floor. 17" opening starting at 3" in from the frame. I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to check it though while it is still very easy to enlarge. I'd hate to find out when I'm done I needed another half inch. :?
parnold
Donating Member

Re: My Epiphany - A.K.A. The Slouch

Postby mezmo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:11 pm

Another possibility for a full-time made-up bed and daytime seating
in the rear would be a simple Murphy bed like they used in the little
Gem. Their version isn't very complicated. Just a couple door hinges
and a couple latches to keep it in place when folded up. You can see
how they did it here:

http://littlegemrenovate.blogspot.com/s ... inate=true

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:43 pm

Woohoo! Turkey for dinner and sawdust/first cuts for a new build! They both look good to me!!!! :D :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby parnold » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:55 pm

Thanks Sharon, though I am rather disappointed in my progress. I just don't have the stamina I used to.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:09 pm

parnold wrote:Thanks Sharon, though I am rather disappointed in my progress. I just don't have the stamina I used to.

I know that one! Getting older isn't for sissies! :lol: You already have a TTT to use while this one is being built; so, you can be on a little teardrop time for the new one. You'll get her done.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby StPatron » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:25 pm

parnold wrote:I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to check it though while it is still very easy to enlarge. I'd hate to find out when I'm done I needed another half inch. :?

Good plan!

If it's tight.... Try jacking up the frame vs. the axle. Don't forget to block the tongue jack wheel if ya got one. Jack stands would be a good idea too. Tire wrestling on a jacked up frame can be a bit .....uh, shaky. Don't ask me how I know. :lol:
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:10 am

Paul,

I think you're making great progress! What you've accomplished would have taken me 9 months to do. I do like those trailer deck screws, but like you said, you need to pre-drill first.

Your build is something like what I've had in the back of my mind. I'll be following your progress closely. Thank you for posting pictures.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby parnold » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:06 pm

A little progress tonight before my lumber run.

Got the underside coated with UPOL Graviguard. It is actually an automotive chip guard. It dries a little harder than undercoating.

And here in this wide angle view, you can see the frame of my "garage in a box". I have a tarp that will cover the two long walls and roof so I will have somewhere dry to work on the trailer, and I won't have to spend half an hour every night covering everything back up.

Got all the plywood for the side walls, and several extra jigsaw blades. I also bought a new blade for my circular saw, as I pretty much ruined the one on it cutting up pallets. If all goes well, there will be a profile picture tomorrow, hopefully with both walls.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby sagebrush » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:38 pm

;) So....Tell me......it'l be our secret........We going to see this come August? ;) I won't tell anyone.......Promise ;)

You are off to a good start :thumbsup:

Will
We ain't skeer'd of the dark!

Living large in a small way!
sagebrush
Platinum Donating Member

Postby parnold » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:42 pm

Will:

Unless this turns out to weigh a lot less than I think i will most likely bring my smaller trailer. It's a long drive, and a lot of elevation changes. I sure hope it's done before August though, so I'll be sure to bring pictures! 8)
parnold
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals