My Epiphany - Sanding - Sanding - Sanding

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: My Epiphany - A.K.A. The Slouch

Postby parnold » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:33 pm

Today was a productive day, even if I only got half of what I was hoping to accomplish done. I laid out the plywood for one side, cut the channels and butt joined them. I did learn something interesting today. When you measure twice and cut once, you second measurement always confirms your first measurement was fine. It does not confirm that you can read your own handwriting on your plans. :x
No problems created, just some extra pen lines while doing my layout. :D

So, we now have a profile!

After fitting the hatch for the pull out kitchen, and locating the window opening, centered over the bed, and making sure there was wood everywhere I would need to screw into from inside, I started cutting away excess which will get insulation. So now we have a cookie cutter wall!

I don't know who that old guy is holding up the wall. :roll:

The door cutout will be cut flush to the floor eventually, but for the sake of holding everything together, I left about three inches down there. I still have a little more I can cut away around the window area too. I planned it out that the interior paneling joints will fall in different locations from the plywood joints, so once the inside walls are on, it should be very solid, and of course get even stronger with the addition of the outside walls. I've decided on birch paneling for the interior walls. It's really expensive, but the stuff in really beautiful. I just can't see using cheap paneling.

Hopefully tomorrow I will get wall number two done, and the canopy put up to keep everything dry.

I picked up an old lantern that I want to convert to LED's. It was painted an ugly gold color, so I sandblasted it today. There was some red paint under the gold in some areas. I'm open for suggestions on how to finish it! I was thinking of forcing it to rust a little, and then clear coat it to stop the rust. I also thought about one of those "hammered" spray paints... So here's the before and after pic.. and suggestions please!

parnold
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:44 pm

Wow! Paul, you are movin'! You've found and are using 5' wide plywood? Good for you!

Lantern colors? Dunno. Either match your trailer color scheme or contrast it. :thinking:

It's lookin' good! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby parnold » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:55 pm

Sharon, actually it's 4' ply. Three sheets butt joined and cut down to 5' 1". Don't ask me why I added an inch, I don't have an answer, but when I started cutting this morning I decided to add an inch, so the interior height will be 4' 11 1/2". :lol:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:37 pm

Hey Paul, looking good!

Say, how wide is that door opening?

Looks a little smaller than your Sketchup model, or is that just me? Do you have to slip through sideways or is it shoulder width plus?

Great day of progress for us both. Congratulations on the major hurdle of getting your profile cut. Hope that extra inch doesn't come back to bite you. :roll:

I'm always afraid when I make field changes like that because I never know what it is that I'm forgetting why I made a thing a certain way in the first place. :FNP :? :FNP

Looking foward to following along as you go, great job so far. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:53 am

KC:

The door in the pic is only cut to 18", as you can see by where my left hand is, I have several more inches available to widen it. It will probably end up around 22". Again I was nervous about taking away too much material while the wall is in a fairly fragile condition. You'll also notice the black line near my left hand. This is where the 4' paneling line will be. The seam for the plywood that I am holding is right above my head, and another seam in the middle of the window. I measured 4' from the front for the plywood, and will measure 4' from the back for the paneling so the seams will not overlap. The overall length is 10' 9".
parnold
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:57 pm

I did not accomplish anything on the build today, but I did get my shelter up, including lighting! Rain or shine, day or night, I can work when the spirit moves me!

And I created a home made rust agent, 80% hydrogen peroxide, 20% white vinegar, and two teaspoons of salt. I rubbed this onto my lantern and came up with this! Tomorrow I will clear coat it to stop the process, and keep my hands, etc, from turning orange. It should darken up just a tad when it is clear coated.

The next step will be to find something to use as a globe, and install the led lights that I have with a switch.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:28 pm

Thanks for the explanation, Paul. That makes sense. You did such a nice job on the "practice" radius cut that it threw me off. :D

The lantern looks great (you are a true asset for this site with your coatings experience, thanks :thumbsup: ).

If you can't find a suitable globe, I wonder if a Mason jar would do the trick. Would look the part, I am sure!
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:54 pm

Today's progress.

Several days ago I got the left wall assembled and glued. Today I cut out as much as I could to reduce weight, and give me somewhere to put all the insulation I bought. So here it the picture of the left wall all cut out.

I decided on the birch paneling for the interior walls. It's a bit pricey, but by not paneling the hidden areas, I was able to save about half the cost. So far, only three sheets, at 40 bucks a pop. It does look really nice though.

And the last picture, the profile all cut with the router, and the window and the hatch holes cut.

You'll notice the different paneling on the lower side of the wall (left side of the picture). That stuff is 10 bucks a sheet. It will not be visible at all, it is hidden by the bed, the cabinet that houses the furnace, and the bench seat.

I would also like to comment and say that I love my new nail gun from Harbor Freight, and I got to use my new belt sander also from Harbor Freight. I have shot almost 400 nails through the gun without a single jam.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:05 am

That birch paneling looks great Paul. I think my next build will be the sandwich walls similar to what you have done. Can't wait to see this trailer in June at Cunningham Falls :thinking: :beer:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:03 am

I hope it's campable by then Zach! I am not nearly as motivated, or should I say obsessed with this build as I was with the first one. I guess since I still have #1, there really isn't the rush I felt the first time. This one is also a fair bit more complex with the pull out kitchen, furnace, and a lot more lighting. If at least the bed is ready, I'll be bringing this one. I can always cook on top of a picnic table.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby BillZ » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:16 am

I'll be checking it out at Cunningham Falls also. Looking forward to meeting you.
BillZ
The 300 Club

Postby KCStudly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:37 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:I think my next build...

Uh huh, I knew it! There must be another one. Like beers, peanuts, popcorn, potato chips, etc. Bet ’cha can't just have one!

Paul, your progress is looking great! :thumbsup: Looks like you have all of the major stuff planned out well. Definately watching.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby oyunageldim » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Beautiful work, so have fun :thumbsup:
oyunageldim
Teardrop Builder

Postby jonw » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:23 pm

Looking real nice, Paul. Hope to meet you and your TD sometime at a campout...
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:26 pm

It's lookin' good, Paul. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals