Blood,Sweat & Teardrops...

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Blood,Sweat & Teardrops...

Postby bigblockbarry » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:46 pm

Thanks Pappaw,
Those were the closest wheels I could find to matching the ones on my car. I could have got the exact ones but it would have been unknown hours on the Bridgeport making adapters,and adapters cause another set of problems.

Barry
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby bigblockbarry » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:56 pm

Thanks Tom,
Your tear is the one that inspired me to build mine. Awesome job! I had to go low buck on some of my stuff but so far I think its going to work out nice. I'm going to print out the bed making instructions and grab the first person to walk by and go to it. I fought and fought with that stuff yesterday. One problem is I left the mattress a little too big. The inside is 59 x 75 and I cut 5 inches off one end of a queen size that was 60 x 80 and jammed it in there. But when I got done,I turned the A/C on and laid there for the first time like a big fat happy dog. I'm sure you know that feeling.

Barry
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby bigblockbarry » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:26 pm

Today's project was one I have been looking forward to. I have been wanting to put a small receiver on the back and build a mount for a small table. I bought the tabletop last weekend and Dad stained and sealed for me this week. The heat finally broke here so its time to do a little work. First some materials.
A few measurements and a couple clamps. Nice work bench huh?
I made a couple gussets and angled them towards the back,gave me enough room for some big self tapping screws.
Spent a while with my grinder rounding the edges and hit it with some black paint.
I think this part turned out good for as little time as it took. I'll mount the table top tomorrow.

Barry
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby WhitneyK » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:27 am

bigblockbarry wrote:And this was the following Saturday.He was right back out there doing what he could with one hand.He bumped it a couple times and sucked all the air out of the garage but for a 75 year old man he's tough as nails.I'm proud to say he's my Dad.

Barry,
Sorry, I'm just now catchin' up the build journals, Fantastic Job! :applause:
It's GREAT that your Dad is helpin'! :thumbsup:
I know mine would have enjoyed being right there helpin' with my build as well.
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby bigblockbarry » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:37 pm

Thanks Whitney,
Dad and I looked at your build before we started on mine. We liked how you kept a running tab on all the materials. I've got 3 more weeks to wrap up all the details on mine,then its off to Bonneville.

Barry

( I want to see George Poteet break 500 this year ) http://mylifeatspeed.com/archives/9501/
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby bigblockbarry » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:54 pm

Got to work on my rear table mount today. I had 40 feet of 1 inch square left over from a project that never got off the ground,maybe this winter it will. Cut a notch in my slide in piece and bent it up til I liked the angle.
I had some flat steel left from Saturday. Cut 2 pieces 8" long and cut notches in them with the Bridgeport then welded them together. Welded that to the slide.
Here it is with the tabletop that Dad done for me last week.
The only doubt I have is the height. I don't have any lawn chairs so I guessed at how high the top should be.
It ended up at 33 inches more or less. Is that too tall? How high does everyone else have theirs?

Barry
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby bigblockbarry » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:20 pm

Ran to Kentucky Lake Friday afternoon and Got back yesterday afternoon. I wanted to make a test run but I wasn't sure about the weather. Poured rain twice Friday and didn't get a drop here. That left just today to work on the trailer. Time is getting away from me. I finished up the table,everything is painted and screwed together.
Got the brace made for the radio.I've been putting that off for some reason. Also got the last of the led's stuck up and working.
Its Sunday and usually I take the afternoon off,so I turned on the air,popped a Robot Chicken CD in the tv and kicked back for a little while.
I've got a bunch of odds and ends left to do. I want to put a fire extinguisher on the wall in the galley,make some new hatch supports,finish cleaning the aluminum on the outside,etc,etc. You never really get done,but I get closer every week.
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby shootr » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:48 pm

:thumbsup: Nice, thanks for posting the details.
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby bigblockbarry » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks for looking Shootr.

Barry
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby Forrest747 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Looking great. Love the workbench for sure. Love the table and how it looks.
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:31 pm

Barry looks great and its been a fast build and I've enjoyed looking.

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bigblockbarry » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:49 pm

Thanks guys,
I've really enjoyed building this,except for Dad running his fingers through the saw. I know that I'm missing something but I don't know what it is yet. I have to get some kind of cooking device and plates,silverware,etc. We are going to be out on the road for 14 days. I would appreciate any suggestions.
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby Forrest747 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:18 pm

I went to wally world and got a 14 piece cooking set. 45 dollars or something like that. It also had some plastic mixxer and ladel. Not sure if Coleman stove approved but hey its a start. Also goodwill or the like will have eating tools and maybe plates. 93776
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby bigblockbarry » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:29 pm

I'm in on the Wallyworld stuff for sure. Went to the dentist this morning and it turns out the tooth I've been babying needs a crown and another needs some love too. Life has a way of kicking you in the rump every now and then. Good thing I have all the major trailer expenses out of the way already. Let's get ready to camp!

Barry
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby bigblockbarry » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:04 pm

Wrapped up a couple small things and found a new thing today. I bought a small tongue box that the sides are a little thin. I had some scrap 1/8 material left so I cut it up and glued it into the box to prevent anything knocking dents from the inside.
Then I buttoned everything up and went out for a test drag. I ran up backroads,through town,and down the highway. At 60 mph I couldn't even tell there was anything behind me. I could not be more pleased.
Now on to the bad. I jumped it in the air on a couple big bumps that I didn't see until too late and did this.
Broke the battery hold down. No big deal,I was planning on replacing this with one that bolted through the floor anyway. I also installed some d-rings just below the top of the mattress to strap the tabletop and A/C down. That worked perfect. I'm going to pull it up to the shop tomorrow and put it up on a lift to double check everything underneath. 13 days until blast off!

Barry
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals