Lifting roof XPStream - Almost Finished!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Lifting roof XPStream - Almost Finished!

Postby OP827 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:13 pm

Greetings from Alberta. I am deciding on my TTT floor plan design, frame and plywood floor are ready to start interior and walls. This is my first post for the build. It is a foamie with fibreglass and thin plywood reinforcement. I do have some diy experience with fibreglass, aluminum, fabrics, wood, some welding. I have drafted the floor plan for your advice please. Any input is highly appreciated. I know this plan has its inconveniences when the queen bed is expanded, but I feel it is providing good sleeping space that way as well. There is also an opportunity to make upper side of left side bathroom wall to overlap the queen bed for more space inside the bathroom(for wash sink maybe). The trailer exterior and interior walls will be foldable down from kitchen countertop level. The Conceptual mockup is in my album at this site.

Thanks in advance for all your constructive input here.
Oleg

24-NOV-2019 EDIT: Since this initial concept model below the trailer design has changed substantially towards aerodynamically streamlined shape with lifting roof and folding side walls.

Last edited by OP827 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 14 times in total.
OP827
Donating Member

Re: Foldable foamie transformer with amenities

Postby KCStudly » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:12 pm

It looks good to me. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying about the folding walls. Will it be a drop down/pop up hard roof?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:21 pm

KCStudly wrote:It looks good to me. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying about the folding walls. Will it be a drop down/pop up hard roof?

Thanks KC and NO or "sort of", the trailer fold down design will be similar to Gobur or Esterel caravans out of UK. It will have fold down wall and roof will sit on top of them. Similar to pictures in this post http://www.caravaning.in.ua/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=2501 or google Esterel caravan images, but it will be with bathroom and made of 1-1/2" XPS foam fibreglass sandwich.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:28 pm

Ah, a hard sided pop up. Those were the words that were escaping me in my prior post. Cool.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:58 pm

Finaly after lots of thinking about the concept, the floor plan and how the trailer will fold (it is going to be really cool if the folding design idea works), I had some sawdust flying and made some small progress with finishing frame and almost finished gluing together the floor, last piece is left to attach. Soon will be using the floor as a build table to laminate all wall panels. I am looking forward doing something every day to make progress. Wish me luck.
8) :thumbsup: :beer:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:57 pm

Next is to the trailer walls sandwich construction.

I am going with 1/8" Baltic birch from interior glued to 1-1/2" XPS Foamular 300 rigid foam (bent/curfed or straight) and laminated with 2 layers 6oz fiberglass cloth and epoxy from exterior and then coated with polyurethane paint for UV protection and apperance.

There will be reinforcement in corners and joints with wood, epoxy filler, and FG tape. On the exterior surface I will also grove and glue thin strips of wood every so often (4" and more) to eliminate potential for delamination and reinforce the FG surface, especially where skin will see compression forces.

Any comments on the above?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:45 pm

You will want to figure out were you want anything to screw to the walls (fenders, cabinets, shelves, light switch plates, light fixtures, coat hooks, etc.) and decide how you will reinforce these areas to accept screws.

Alternate methods for attaching shelves include dadoes into the foam, but with such thin inner skins and (I am assuming) wooden cabinets (in lieu of foam) that can create some assembly hurdles, IMO.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:36 am

KCStudly wrote:You will want to figure out were you want anything to screw to the walls (fenders, cabinets, shelves, light switch plates, light fixtures, coat hooks, etc.) and decide how you will reinforce these areas to accept screws.

Alternate methods for attaching shelves include dadoes into the foam, but with such thin inner skins and (I am assuming) wooden cabinets (in lieu of foam) that can create some assembly hurdles, IMO.

Thanks for your input KC and yes there will be reinforcements. The furniture and internal framing will be self-supporting and work together with the wall structures. The approach is like monocoque in boat or airplane structures where every element is not only just a furniture, but also can carry part of the load to keep the trailer structure together and various joining techniques will be used to achieve that.
I was just mostly asking about the skin sandwich itself, especially outside: will 2 layers of 6oz fiberglass on top of ridig foam work well or more maybe needed (moreweight :thumbdown: )? I hope 2 layers will work well.
Last edited by OP827 on Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:03 pm

I did a single layer of 6 oz over the outside of my ceiling skin on my front radius. Not the same as foam, but all indications are that it would be fine over foam. Two layers might even be overkill.

Maybe Mel/Atahoekid will weigh in with his experience. He did an extra wide hybrid foamie (Road Foamie build thread link) with wood interior skins and epoxy/glass exterior.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:33 pm

KC, what is your trailer outside ceiling skin made of, or you meant your plywood ceiling interior, just outside of it that will face foam, never mind then, I got it.
I sent PM to Mel, cause I could not easily find in his build thread how many fiberglass layers were laminated on his Road Foamie, but did not hear back from him yet. :thinking: Foam is much less of compresion strength as plywood.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:45 pm

OP827 wrote:Foam is much less of (compression) strength as plywood.

Yes, but having worked with both to a certain degree, it was very impressive how much the plywood firmed up with just a single layer of glass, even after having been formed around a 13-1/2 inch radius (tho I must admit that I do not have a lot of experience with glass).

I think you have it, but just to clarify, I am building inside out with 5 mm ply, 1-1/2 inch thick foam (on the roof it will be two layers of 3/4 thk), TB2, canvas, and paint. To reinforce the outer fibers of the ceiling skin where it formed around the relatively tight front radius, I added a layer of 6 oz glass cloth and epoxy which will be covered by the foam (which is about the stage that I am at now).

From GPW's reports, the canvas over foam can be dented relatively easily (but tends to come back with heat). I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I have committed so far in my build and still have not done a test sample to prove its durability to myself, but figure that if I am not pleased with the result when I do, I can always use epoxy under and over the canvas instead of just gluing it down.

My thoughts are that a single layer of 6 oz and epoxy would be much more durable than canvas and glue, but still might take some damage that two layers would repel.

I guess it comes down to what you want, how "bullet proof" you want it to be, how much time and money you want to spend, and what kind of conditions you plan on pulling your trailer through.

I ramble. Just sort of spewing out some thoughts on the subject. Hope it gives you something useful to ponder. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:51 pm

You are right KC. When the time comes, I'll do one layer first and see how it feels and then I can sand and add one more layer or paint. Now I need to start cutting and gluing some foam, wood and plywood for walls and cabinets. Just finished gluing last piece of 5/8" plywood for the floor in front, waiting for epoxy to cure :worship: .. it is cold in my garage, running some heater to make the cure happen, tried Ecopoxy for the first time, used West system before.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:07 pm

We have a saying around here, "no pics, didn't happen". We need to see the pics! :lol: :lol: :lol:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Shar » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:25 pm

Hey there, OP827! I am a fellow Albertan who built my first foamie in May/June 2014. I will be interested to see your progress and you have my sympathy as you build despite our wonderful weather here in Alberta. :lol:
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:47 pm

KCStudly wrote:We have a saying around here, "no pics, didn't happen". We need to see the pics! :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL to you too KC, :lol: there it is with my "clamping MDF with screws contraption" and routered tongue and grove in plywood:

Sheryl, thanks for your kind words, appreciate that. I additionally insulated the garage door with 3/4 EPS foam so it is a little warmer there :thumbsup: 8)
OP827
Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals