Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:09 pm

i like that drawing. i think even i could pull this one off, if not, hubby can.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:25 pm

my son has a science project to do, make a 3d animal or plant cell. so i did a quck search online, and i found one to make out of a styrofoam ball.

so is this craft ball the same as bead board foam? (except in a ball) if so, after cutting a section out of the ball, i would not doubt this stuff would work well also. and it would be cheaper, or more thrifty.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:41 pm

You can always tell bead board as it looks like it’s made out of thousands of BB sized(more or less) balls all glued together ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tiredoldwhiteman » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:54 pm

GPW wrote:Here’s a drawing of the window I made

Yup...'At's th' ticket!
Tiredoldwhiteman
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:03 pm

[quote="GPW"]Here’s a drawing of the window I made .... simple , and it opened ,and doesn’t leak ... :thumbsup: Image
see my Album , pg.. 7,8,9 for window pics

If you want to imbed a sheet of plastic window material into a non-opening foam hole , just route out the window opening desired , then a “shelf into that to support the “glassâ€
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby droid_ca » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:25 am

I like that style of window cause you can keep them open even when its raining
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:19 am

The only trick to remember is make the bottom part of the frame that holds the window tilt down a small bit in the front so any rain runs right out ... Just as with our house windows ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:22 am

I had some time to kill at work prior to an appointment and so I spent the time in a worthwhile fashion, searching the internet for things teardrop/foamie trailer related and came upon this article.

http://canoeguybc.wordpress.com/2011/11/20/alternatives-to-traditional-wood-canoe-canvas-fillers/

This guy talks about using other than traditional compounds to fill in the weave on canvas for a glossy smooth finish on a canoe. The traditional compound takes 4 weeks to cure and you gotta mix it yourself. The non-traditional compounds are ready mixed and dry quicker. Since I am one of those foamlings who wants a smooth gloss finish on my build, I will be doing more research on this, hoping I can use the technique on the "Road Foamie"

Here's the link to the latex lagging compound that he mentions

http://www.industrialinsulation.com/ima ... ng_adh.pdf

This has gotten my attention !!! Any one else with an opinion? Good? Bad? Otherwise? :thinking: :thinking:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:31 am

Ok after plowing through this for several weeks I'm finally at the end and ready to throw in several thoughts and hopefully some good suggestions of how to make a foamie even better lighter and stronger still using mostly easily available components.

As you can see I have done a bit of building of campers and have learned a lot of what is right and what is wrong and will learn even more of both as I keep doing my endeavor of microcampers.

I am planning on using a lot of what has been discussed here to develop a product to be towed behind a motorcycle or toy cars like the new fiat or the smart cars and such.

Ok on with my suggestions:

1. Mike has proven that the tb2 doesn't stick to the foam for crap so therefore I have a product that will glue the crap out of the fabric to the foam and be very difficult to remove and it will NOT hurt the foam in any way. I have talked about it on a few other posts here for its properties to glue a lot of things together and it is very sticky where foam is concerned. It is 3M 30NF and the NF meaning non flammable. It is a 40 plus yr old contact cement that is neoprene with water base and is low odor and even certified green to california standards. You can go through RS Hughes or Fastenal to purchase it and it may be expensive but well worth it. I'd say use this to bond the canvas/cloth directly to the foam first.

2. After the canvas is on use tb3 and forget the tb2 everyone keeps raving about. tb2 will soften when exposed to water for a while because it is water resistant rated and tb3 will not do that and isn't that much more expensive. I'd do the outside with a 50% diluted tb3 mixture and seal it all good.

3. Floors people are using plywood or osb why? There are some very very good threads on here about using the sandwich core with luan wood frame and foam in between and weight reduction is 30% of plywood so why hasn't anyone even pushed people to use this? Luan is relatively cheap and you are already using foam so why even use heavy plywood? I use simple 1 x 2s inside my sandwich cores for floor and walls in the camper above and I can walk on the floor before the roof is on with very little bowing and when finished weight will always be spread to hands and knees or laying down so it's way more than strong enough.

4. Walls the 30NF bonds wood to the foam extremely well so you could easily do panelling or luan interior to make it look better as well as a much quicker build than doing the canvas interior but that would just be cosmetic and preference for anyone. I also found a plastics company in Austin that sells a thin white plastic the type that can't be outside can't remember the name, but anyways it holds paint really well (well spray can enamel not latex) and was like 15 for a 4' x 8' sheet and would make a great interior covering as well due to its properties for making cleaning the walls ultra easy and its ultra light as well.

5. Remember with 30NF for canvas adhesion (first barrier to keep anything away from the foam and then a good coat of the tb3 you have now isolated the foam from the outside and you can at that time play with using anything that would not break down the tb3 to transition your elements. Such as a fiberglass skin would be doable now without breaking the foam down (this would never be for me as I hate the mess no matter how light and strong it is just extremely toxic and messy). Any kinds of glue to transition to an aluminum exterior if you wanted ( I saw your question about this Mike and I'll try and test some of my aluminum skin directly to tb3 with the 30NF soon. The 30NF stuck the aluminum in stellar fashion to the luan so I would bet it would stick really well to the tb3 as well.

Here's some real thinking outside the box and what I'm about to do some experimenting with. Northern tool sells torsion axles rather cheap so think of removing your axles and going to a torsion axle which is a lot lighter than the full axle as well as would give a much better ride. They are available in 500, 1000, and 2000 lb ratings 1" bearings and only like 40 to 70 dollars in price range each. Using these and some aluminum cross braces should reduce the trailer weight a lot and gas cost more than these changes in the long run.

I know a lot has been harped on here about thrifty and cheap but sometimes cheapest isn't always best in the long run. Different thing with cheap and being economical in life. Build it spending a little more on good glue and a better riding trailer will pay off in spades over time.

I know the tb2 has met with success over a yrs time but it will eventually delaminate from the foam and bubble and break because it's not designed to glue that surface. Spending more on a nice water base contact cement like the 30NF will ensure 10 yrs down the road the canvas is still stuck as good as the first days it was installed.

Thanks to you guys for thinking outside the box already and being brave enough to tackle old mindsets and thinking about what things should be made of and look like this will keep evolving till time ends.

I'm a reseller for climateright AC units and if you guys want an AC that you can use and not have to install anything but some vents with outside clamp on hose access give me a message and I'll give you the specs and such. They are heater/ac combined and sit outside on the ground and have inlet and outlet hoses circulating air to the cabin so like I said the only thing to install is 2 hoses into the cabin. They are pricey but being heater and ac both kinda makes it a better absorption as well as not having to hack up your camper to get one into it. It took me 3 days to build in the window unit in the one up above and thats full time so about a month for you guys only doing weekends to do something like that so it pays for itself in time savings to go with the external unit plus now I am converting that space to a full height closet inside with my breaker box in it and accessible within the cabin.

A word of caution to you guys as my first camper was built off a carryon 4 x 8 from tractor supply and that is those 12" tires are crap and will throw rubber faster than you can blink or just completely blow up. My first prototype I got 13" wheels and put regular car radials on it and no problems at all and it actually rode much better. So you guys using the HF or other trailers with the 12" tires beware and if you have the 5 hole pattern there are plenty 5 hole 4 1/2" wheels available to swap out to and if you are fenderless in your build it wouldn't be a problem to switch them. I'm very serious about this because imagine if your tire blows and you have foam around it gonna tear the hell out of your camper or even worse could happen flipping the trailer or worse.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:29 am

XXX, Thanks ... Great info !!! :thumbsup: 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:25 am

Hey Linux person

:lol:

Looks like Fastenal is $142+ for a gallon of that stuff. I did a little searching and found.

Sticky Stuff

$69.50/gallon Do not know how well though of that place is. At least Fastenal is close to me and I have done business there.

But. I am planning to use elevator bolts to fasten my next build to the iron frame and Fasental is almost always the high prices on them. Sometimes nearly double where I can get them other places that are well known, at least to me. ( just don't try to buy Stainless Steel ones any place. ouch )

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:43 am

We get it for around a $100 a gallon from Fastenal and its local and they deliver so that weighs out vs shipping cost and such. Its worth the money just for the fact it doesn't gas you out of the whole area using it. We use a cheap HVLP gun from HF to apply it and it sprays wonderfully I might add and you do want the green so you can see your coverage as the neutral is a slight tanish looking but is hard to see if you got enough on for it to stick good. For the canvas I'm planning on using it wet and stretch the canvas on and then let it flash and dry. Doing it the contact way would never work with such a stretching and giving material as cloth.

I'd recommend using a wood edge on the walls at the bottom due to how well the 30NF bonds the foam to wood and then you could strengthen the floor bond with some screws and simplify the wall mounting quite a bit. Being as I'm building to sell, my goal is strong, simple, and fastest ways to produce a quality product.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:24 pm

Interesting the shipping ground is only 8.11 for fedex express shipping so it's 77.61 a gallon shipped. Comes from vegas will check them out for my next order of this and see if they're on the up and up.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:38 am

Remember, Friday Nov 25 is Evacuation Day.

Celabration

8)

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:44 am

XXX, my little Foamie survived the summer Sun (extremely HOT this year ) , and some “gullywashersâ€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies