Superlegerra -ish 5x9 foamy - First Trip!

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Superlegerra -ish 5x8 foamy - now started

Postby lthomas987 » Sun May 04, 2014 1:36 pm

The tape that is not hear the window indicates proposed internal framing, the headboard/shelf up front, and the galley area in the back.

I then started putting some tape around the inside of the window cutout area.

There isn't a ton of room between the wall separating the galley and the window.

the window is 5" down from the top of the wall. That means at the front curve at one point it is just about 3.5" from the roof.

Inside of the tape lines is where the cuts would have to go to put the window in. Framing would be where the tape is and of course further out. I was thinking 1x3 maybe?

Possibly I could/should run some supports to the floor to help hold up the weight?

Or is this too big all together? I am waffling about cutting the window apart and using the two big panes of safety glass each for a wiley window.

I think the giant window would go a long way towards making the tiny trailer seem HUGE inside.
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Sun May 04, 2014 2:08 pm

I think I would opt for the two windows and two doors, one on each side. I love the thought of a huge window but............there are lots of reasons I would not. with a window on each side you get thru air. you can put a fan in one side and blow the air out the other getting lots of air. Wiley windows are easy to make , you will enjoy seeing out when you want. I just went camping and found that it was fine being smaller windows could darken easily and I don't plan to stay inside all that much that I need big window. nice but just not necessary. I was outside during the day and just slept during the nite.

just my 2 cents worth.

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lthomas987 » Sun May 04, 2014 2:37 pm

I do have a smaller window 15x22ish for the other side. So I can still get cross ventilation.
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Sun May 04, 2014 7:09 pm

I only use the screws for alignment, once the glue cures I take them out, since I use cheap drywall screws and they are to be expected to turn to rust quickly. I haven't used any alignment dowels in my foam boats, (yeah boatS, I have a different one also under construction if you want to see it go to my FB page) If I thought I did need dowels the idea of using old chopsticks sounds great, bamboo is stronger than the cheap white wood dowels are made from.

Personally I don't care so much about how large my overall window size is, as long as it is all able to be opened. a crank out window is good, but a sliding window is a major light leak when I want it dark to sleep, and being a slider won't open fully. The wiley window allows the whole window to be opened for airflow, the more the better! If you have a vent fan (I don't) make sure your curtains can be used to direct the airflow downward, some people use this instead of an air conditioner. If you have a ceiling fan in your bedroom you know what a difference this makes.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Mon May 05, 2014 10:58 pm

One of my concerns about putting in the windows is getting it too big. I think the wall as a solid piece is pretty strong, but as a seismologist told me when we were discussing structural integrity of the door frame. "You put a hole in a perfectly good wall". I think I might get smaller windows. Just my opinion....
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Tue May 06, 2014 5:17 am

if the window is framed properly, it will be stronger than a plain wall
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shar » Tue May 06, 2014 1:22 pm

Can't comment on the window question, but I wanted to thank you for sharing the details of your Gorilla glue method. It helped a lot when I glued my first panel today. Looking forward to more of your build adventure.
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby lthomas987 » Tue May 06, 2014 2:43 pm

Last night I managed to advance the trailer a little bit. That's my plan for getting done, I'll probably not get any more big long days to work on it soon. So I am taking my hour or half hour or whatever where I can get it. Especially if it is a step that would go easier with help.

SO I prepped the sides for gluing to the trailer floor (hit the bottom very lightly with the surform plane and dusted them off)
I sanded the edges of the floor to rough them up just a bit.
I then applied gorilla glue using the zigzag and spread technique.
And I had my helper hop up on the trailer and hold the wall in place and square while I screwed it in from the bottom.

I ended up going with the drywall screw technique in part because I had all the things I needed on hand.
Upon crawling out from under the trailer I noticed light between the wall and the floor. Right in the middle. So either the floor wasn't flat of the foam wasn't. The camera flash hides the light leak.. but I figured it was within the foaming ability of GG and just hit it with a bit more water.

I used the offcuts screwed into the deck and wall with drywall screws to hold the walls square (although the drywall screws were already doing a really good job of it)

I am going to think about the window issue a bit longer as I move forward with putting on the roof. I really think that properly framed the giant window should be fine. The biggest thing about it is that it is sort of heavy.

I did decide on a door size which I shall document here so I hopefully can find it later. I didn't get any pictures of the process but basically I took some clamps and made door openings on the side of the trailer out of 2x4 chunks and then tried getting in and out of a bunch of them. I also had my beloved partner try so that hopefully I won't have to hear about it being too small later. I'm planning on a finished opening of 30"w and 36"h. Both of us successfully navigated 25x32 but taller was immediately desired. And I figure a bit of extra width won't hurt anything.
Laura
lthomas987
Donating Member

Re: Superlegerra -ish 5x9 foamy - first wall up

Postby Mary C » Tue May 06, 2014 9:52 pm

I used that exact method for my doors too. I sat on the edge of the floor and put my hand above my head and there it was, the door height. then I sat on the yard stick and just got comfortable gave it a ok lets see what it takes to get my feet in and there was the size door. works great!!! Youre making good progress!!

Mary C. :) :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed May 07, 2014 5:01 am

LT, we had to go with Larger doors too , small doors don’t fit my rather Large frame ... :o One size does not fit all ... :lol: Do what’s right for you !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby lthomas987 » Wed May 07, 2014 10:21 am

I got my second wall stood up last night. I spent a bit of time with a plane taking off some high spots in the foam so it went down a bit more smoothly. I am a tiny bit worried about how well attached the first side is. But I figure in the end wrapping the sides with canvas will fix it. It's not badly attached. But there are a few small spots where you can see light underneath it. It was however still square to the floor!
The second wall went up square (I mean I was trying and all) and then when confirmed with a tape both sides were parallel to each other.

If I am lucky I'll get some help cutting down big sheets of foam to make the roof. Then kerfing can commence. I really want to get the first roof panel on before I leave town for a week because I feel like it will just be much stronger and more stable that way.
Laura
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed May 07, 2014 10:32 am

That’s what the extra "reinforcing strips" are for ... to remove the worry about less than perfect fits ... ;) Great stuff fills any gaps , but it’s messy , and has a tendency to keep growing after a while ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shar » Wed May 07, 2014 10:59 am

GPW, do you mean reinforcing strips of canvas? Or fiberglass tape?
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby rowerwet » Thu May 08, 2014 4:27 am

which ever you prefer, they both work
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 08, 2014 4:44 am

Like Row said , either are Fine ... when in doubt , double the thickness ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies