Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby atahoekid » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:45 am

After many years of marriage, I have discovered that the best thing to do when the wife says I can spend money is SPEND IT... 8) 8) 8) The opportunity doesn't arise very often and what can be wrong about having another trailer or five? :lol: :shock: Well for me it's a lack of space. JUST DO IT!!! :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:39 pm

so GPW how was lunch? were dying to know......

What did you have
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:41 pm

that is looking real good! :thumbsup:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:16 pm

Well, Lunch was Great ... But HF is a GIANT PIA... Went in the store , they had the little baby trailer for list on the floor ... and they didn’t have the one I wanted ... :( I asked the manager if they had one coming in soon .... No !!! Could I order one ... NO , we don’t do that ... Grrrrr!!! Called the other store in the area , same response ... Both said to go online and order ... Went online ,they had it but want 113USD in shipping (Fed ex only ) the only way they would ship ... and of course the 20% off coupon says at the stores , so I can’t use it online ( I think ) ... So if I want the trailer looks like the only way is to pay the over 400USD for it ... GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!! :x

Any ideas ???
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:33 pm

GPW,

Too bad that happened to you. I know up here in a paper I received recently, they are saying it's $289, and they do have them in stock.

We are thinking about getting two!!! We need a 13' long trailer, and 2 HF trailers is still about 1/2 the price of a custom build.

Should we get 3? You wanna come up and get one?

Mike...

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:47 pm

Mike I appreciate the offer but the drive would be more than the shipping ... I can’t understand why they don’t stock them here and were unwilling to order one ??? What good are the stores if they don’t carry all the items ... ???
Anybody have a secret code ... ???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby DJT » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:55 pm

I'm so jealous! North if the border a simple frame only trailer like that (if you van even find one FS commercially) is $1k easy! I think that's why I've seen so many custom frames around here.

Dave
DJT
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:05 pm

OK, I consulted with the CFO (the dear wife) and she said ... “you wanted it huh ? “ And then , SURPRISINGLY , she offered for “the Houseâ€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:32 pm

i had the same experience at tractor supply last year. so i just don't shop with them anymore.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:20 am

Eagle , I was somewhat PO’d about this , and just had to send a nice letter off the HF customer service about this matter ... If they send a favorable response with an explanation , I’ll continue to shop there , if not then I’ll have to shop elsewhere ... it wasn’t really about not having the trailer in stock , but they were just so Rude about it ... Like they didn’t want to be bothered ... :roll: I’m thinking now , for that kind of money (435 USD) , I could gather some materials and construct my own (even better/stronger ) trailer .. :thinking:
The principle of the thing ... I’d Never treat any of my customers like that ... :x
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:01 am

tractor supply was the same. like it was a sin to order a trailer. that is what was strange to me. the company can't or won't even order an item they don't have in stock. the manor in which they relay that is very rude.

good luck with getting a response. who knows, maybe they will send you a coupon for online. not just the in-store.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:22 am

I don’t think they really care at all ... we’ll see !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:07 pm

Well , as they say , the squeaky wheel ...... I got a nice e-mail back from HF saying :

“ Our most sincere apology is extended for your recent experience. Your complaint has been received and has been forwarded to the proper department. You will be contacted within 5 business days. Again we are sorry for this situation and we assure you it will be addressed as quickly as possible. “
So maybe they Do care ? ... :o We’ll see how this plays out ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:17 pm

Last spring I went to Walgreen's to get a prescription filled. They let me sit around for over an hour without even saying boo. I then walked out and went home. I emailed headquarters and in less than 24 hours I got a phone call from the local manager. Said the staff would be retrained and there was a $25 gift certificate waiting for me.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:15 am

One of my great pet peeves in life is crappy customer service. When I walk into the store and want to buy something, it means I want to spend money. Stores are in the business to make money... Don't merchants get the connection??? I too get very angry when crap, like that mentioned above occurs. Maybe I am too impatient, but I don't bother to talk to customer service, I just spend my money elsewhere. It's not my job to tell a company to take better care of their customers. That's their job. I don't even care if it sometimes costs a bit more, if I get good customer service then I'm willing to pay for it...

OK, I feel better now :o :shock: :o :shock:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies