Road Foamie - done for the year

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:11 am

Mel , found out that 9 pints and the next day , no hangover, clear as a bell ... :thumbsup: An Old Irish bartender in Cape Cod told me that and it’s True ... 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:45 pm

Well, 9 pints huh???? :o :o :o I will have to try that some day. Not tonight as I have a presentation to make in the morning but one of these days...

So is nine the magic number or is some number less than nine OK? :thinking: :thinking:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:59 pm

I guess less than 9 is OK , just not as much Fun , especially if you’re in an Irish Pub ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:01 am

I think you're right 8) 8)
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tinksdad » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:55 am

GPW wrote:I guess less than 9 is OK , just not as much Fun , especially if you’re in an Irish Pub ... :D

For reasons that need not be explained here, I drink O'Douls when I go to Fahey's with my daughter and s-i-l. Is that acceptable within the 9 limit??

Fahey's is the human friendly dog bar down in the quarter. 8)
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby atahoekid » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:02 am

tinksdad wrote:
GPW wrote:I guess less than 9 is OK , just not as much Fun , especially if you’re in an Irish Pub ... :D

For reasons that need not be explained here, I drink O'Douls when I go to Fahey's with my daughter and s-i-l. Is that acceptable within the 9 limit??

Fahey's is the human friendly dog bar down in the quarter. 8)

Yup, doubt that you're going to feel the effects of 9 O'Douls's. In fact, I'd venture you could have a few more than 9 :lol: :lol:

I'm glad you can drink O'Doul's. On the rare occasions in my life that I've been the Designated Driver, I've tried an O'Douls but just switched to Diet Coke. Lots tastier to me. 8) 8)
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tinksdad » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:08 pm

Off topic .... sort of.....

Beer contains female hormones.

Last month, VeeCee published that Sydney University and CSIRO scientists released the results of a recent analysis that revealed the presence of female hormones in beer.

Men should take a concerned look at their beer consumption.

The theory is that beer contains female hormones (hops contain Phytoestrogens) and that by drinking enough beer, men turn into women.

To test the theory, 100 men drank 8 pints of beer each within a 1 hour period.

It was then observed that 100% of the test subjects:
1. Argued over nothing.
2. Refused to apologize when obviously wrong.
3. Gained weight.
4. Talked excessively without making sense.
5. Became overly emotional.
6. Couldn't drive.
7. Failed to think rationally.
8. Had to sit down while urinating.

No further testing was considered necessary

Now, back to our regular programming!!!
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:13 pm

Dad , TRUE DAT !!! :lol:

Gosh i’d sure make a rather ungainly woman ... more like a female stevedore ... :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now does that mean if I drink Rum , I’d turn into a Pirate ... Arrr Matey !!!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:15 pm

tinksdad wrote:Off topic .... sort of.....

Beer contains female hormones.

Last month, VeeCee published that Sydney University and CSIRO scientists released the results of a recent analysis that revealed the presence of female hormones in beer.

Men should take a concerned look at their beer consumption.

The theory is that beer contains female hormones (hops contain Phytoestrogens) and that by drinking enough beer, men turn into women.

To test the theory, 100 men drank 8 pints of beer each within a 1 hour period.

It was then observed that 100% of the test subjects:
1. Argued over nothing.
2. Refused to apologize when obviously wrong.
3. Gained weight.
4. Talked excessively without making sense.
5. Became overly emotional.
6. Couldn't drive.
7. Failed to think rationally.
8. Had to sit down while urinating.

No further testing was considered necessary

Now, back to our regular programming!!!

I will not be sharing that "scientific" information with my wife.

I have this thing about being savagely beaten with a frying pan :o :lol: :o :lol:
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:28 pm

So I got my panel glued up. Here's the picture. Sorry it's taken at a crappy angle but that's all the room I've got in the garage. It's just over 11 feet long and just over 5 feet tall. I'll cut the profile tomorrow probably.

I figured out a couple things about glue ups and using epoxy while messing with this

1) The factory edges aren't perfect and they don't touch in all places when they are butted edge to edge so you need to get creative when you join them. I used duct tape on the bottom side of the panels, brushed in epoxy to get the panels tacked together and let it dry. I then went back with epoxy in a syringe (no needle) and filled in the gaps. I covered the seams with cling wrap to smooth out any overflow of epoxy (that's the shiny stuff running along the seams)

2) Epoxy creates enough heat when curing that a larger "puddle" left to cure will burn a hole in the foam. I found out twice. The first burn hole is about an 1/8 inch long and about 2" long.

That's bad enough. Now the other one

OMG!!! :x :cry: :x :cry: :fb

It's about 3/4" wide by 2" long. Well I guess that I should have filled the epoxy in with multiple passes, letting it dry between passes. it's repairable. I'll cut out a chunk of foam and glue a new piece in . Try that with lumber. One of the joys of working with foam :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:31 am

No sweat Mel, there's an easy solution for that.

Epoxy on its own tends to be pretty brittle, especially if it's used on a nonporous material like foam. The trick is to use a filler to thicken the epoxy so it fills in the surface imperfections. Mixed to the consistency of peanut butter, it will fill gaps to 1/4" or so with no worries and will spread out the exotherm enough that it won't burn the foam. To fill wider gaps you'll want to use a structural filler like cab-o-sil or wood flour...otherwise microballoons will give you a lightweight (& easily sanded) bond. All will weaken the bond but will still be stronger than the foam and that's all that really matters.
Some other stuff I've used in the past with varying degrees of success-
Talcum/foot/baby powder - takes a lot to do the job, but when it's all that's handy...
Carpenter's chalk - mainly as a solid pigment for inlay
Dust from a RO sander - not the smoothest but it'll take a screw really well
graphite powder - sold as a dry lube, again it takes a lot but it leaves a really hard surface.

Fillers will also cut down the amount of epoxy you use by increasing it's volume quite a bit....see, even epoxy can be thrifty !
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:26 am

BTW, That foam in a can seals large gaps very nicely ... ask me how I know ... :oops: :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:05 pm

Brian,

Thanks for that info. I'm sure it will come in handy as this is just one side. I've got the other wall, the top and the back to glue up yet.

I've said it before, I try to learn at least one new thing every day. Yesterday I learned the hard way, today it's the easy way. :lol: :lol:

GPW,

It's nice to know that even the master guru of foam builds knows about error corrections. I'm in good company :lol: :lol:
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:53 pm

Have made Many many errors , I just seem to be just well practiced at fixing them ... :oops:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dragonmaile » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:49 pm

looks like you are making good progress on the build. I might have to steal a few disigns for mine if you don't mind. I am just getting started with my build so there is plenty of time to change it here and there and still get it done before Thanksgiving to go to Florida. I hope :thinking:
dragonmaile
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies