My Foamie Build--Updated --Jul 3 I'm eating an elephant

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

My Foamie Build--Updated --Jul 3 I'm eating an elephant

Postby bonnie » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:13 pm

Hi everyone. I've been playing with modeling the ideas I have for my Pop Top Foamie.

The scale I used is 1/8" = 1"

It's 52" x 100", so that the interior is 4x8, even with the 2" foam walls. Next step in the process is to cover the outside with muslin. As you can see even modeling has I can fix it moments. :)

Street Side Top Down

Driver Side Top Down

Front to Back View. I think the couch/sofa is mis-sized, but it works. :) It is also functional. That's actually what started the model project. I needed to see the bed/couch working.

Back to Front. That's the entire galley. I'm wanting a simple setup. Most eating/cooking/stuff will be done outside the camper.

And the Pop Top raised. Overall it's 18". Only about a foot will show.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.
Last edited by bonnie on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 43 times in total.
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby DJT » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:30 pm

Nicely done! Looks good overall. Just wondering about wheel/wheelwell placement?
DJT
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:33 am

NICE Model !!!! :thumbsup: Great way toâ€
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:35 am

its looking good and as long as its functional, its good to go.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:21 am

DJT wrote:Nicely done! Looks good overall. Just wondering about wheel/wheelwell placement?

Good question. I configured this model to hopefully fit a utility trailer I have my eye on. Wheels are mid way on that frame. Because the trailer has sides and I kinda like how they look. I change the plans (Squidget) I'm working from and put the door in back.

My other current plan is to have a frame built and then mount the completed cabin to it. Wheel mounts on that one are in the classic to the rear position, but I can have them moved to wherever I need them. I am trying to figure out the weight distribution.

Lots of figuring left to do. Craft foam is cheap, which is good, because I am a visual learner. I rather make mistakes at this stage. :) I really like how this one came out.
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:10 pm

bonnie wrote:Lots of figuring left to do. Craft foam is cheap, which is good, because I am a visual learner. I rather make mistakes at this stage. :) I really like how this one came out.

Lots of us tend to be visual learners. I think it also helps settle issues like seam placement, overlap, equipment location, etc., Looking good!!!!
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:25 pm

Thank you.
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:37 am

Once you build the model , you better know what to expect in the full scale build .... just Bigger pieces ... If you built your model to exact scale , you’d also have all your measurements , with a little multiplication factoring ... :thinking:

I built a model first, proved the integrity of the design , and although I didn’t use the same exact design , I knew how the pieces would go together ... That made it Easy !!! ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:25 pm

I can see how that will work. I think I've decided on keys for the bed support all the way through the foam. I've got the muslin on the model and it is amazing how much different it looked. Everyone is right when they say sand, sand, sand. Every little flaw (and the not so little ones) show. :lol: Going to paint it next. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:20 am

Here’s a tip ..... next time , build it to a little larger scale and you’ll have a nice home for the Cat ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:41 am

:lol: Almost did a 1/4 scale as a doll house for the grandkid. But, I decided I didn't have enough room. May do it yet. Got the hitch installed today. :applause:

Broke for awhile. But planning doesn't cost much. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:34 pm

Dollhouse ... that would be Cool, one side open for doll “play camping “ ... 8) Have participated in a couple dollhouse builds for the kiddies , that can normally get very Pricey !!! :o foam would be a great alternative... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:14 pm

You are so right. I've wanted to build a doll house for years and cost is prohibitive. A foam doll house could really work well. 1/4 would be big enough for Barbies. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:47 pm

So, I'm still planning and thinking about how I might accomplish things.

With the pop top going the full length of the trailer, I got the idea to try and build in in place; skin the whole trailer and then cut it loose. This is along the lines of the hatch in place builds

Advantages: The top and bottom would line up. I could place the hardpoints more accurately.

Comments, please.

If anyone has a quick link to directions on how to do a hatch in place, I'd appreciate a link.
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:57 pm

If it were me, I would build the parts separately, put them in place and after getting them lined up, set the attachments and hard points in place. The advantage that I can see is that I can "sock" each piece on their own and ensure I get enough of my outer skin to wrap around each piece. Just the way I would do it... more than one way to skin a cat :thumbsup: :applause:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies