Army Goose - First Trip Report

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Wild Goose .... for now update 5/29

Postby atahoekid » Wed May 30, 2012 7:35 pm

I was just researching a similar question on the electrical forum section here and it sounds like 10 ga is acceptable 8 ga is overkill and if you look at "standard" rv battery cables they are 6 ga. I think 14ga may be a bit light? I'm no electrician. I probably know enough just to be dangerous. Hope that helps!?
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed May 30, 2012 7:41 pm

just thinking , it may not be a problem if all the runs are kept very short ...12 would be better and stranded cable over time may last better , maybe ?
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby millstone » Wed May 30, 2012 8:22 pm

This is a great looking camper.

M.
millstone
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed May 30, 2012 8:28 pm

Wow! :thumbsup:
I think you're going to make people think twice towards the positive about foamies. :applause:
Good job on the cabinets.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby High Desert » Wed May 30, 2012 9:45 pm

OH yeah, I like this build. Add me to the :thumbsup: crowd. Been wondering when someone would try a design like this in foam, great work!
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Aligator944 » Thu May 31, 2012 9:19 am

Regarding wire gauges I have noticed that solid wire gauge must be able to take more current than braided wire. You can run a 20 amp circuit using 14 gauge wire in a house. That's 2400 watts at 120 volts. The 400 watt inverter will only draw 3.3 amps at 120 volts, peaks up to 800 watts are still only 6.7 amps. One website recommends 4 gauge braided wire for 6-10' length. I am sure there is someone out there who has a better understanding of this.
Would a heavy extension cord wire be adequate?
Aligator944
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Thu May 31, 2012 10:49 am

Theories by some state that the electricity flows along the outer surface of the wire ... with stranded wire you have More area... Good electrical cord may work if you don’t intend on any High current applications ... <15A
My Foamie "electrical system" is an extension cord and a GFI on the end ... Simple ... ;) 12V DC from solar panels/ battery > 12V appliances/LED lighting .. one source , close to the battery ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:55 am

Your build just Might get me in the 'game' as it were, my DW doesn't like the size of a traditional teardrop, thinks it will be too claustrophobic when sleeping, I'll show here your build and hope she'll think again about a tear (or, since I'm a fan of the foamies) a Foamie. Looking Great by the way!

well, so much for That idea... ah well... guess I build myself a one person tear so I can bug out occasionally instead of a larger family one (wife, me and youngest son) instead.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:53 am

Ned, the magic number seems to be around 50sq.ft. of floor space to prevent the claustrophobia effect ... 5’X10’ , 6’X 8’ .. or Bigger ... Wider seems Better ... 4’ tall is fine for a sleeper/lounger, 5’ you can sit upright in a folding chair .. the sky is the limit ... sorta’ :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: Wild Goose .... for now update 6/5

Postby Aligator944 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:05 am

This past weekend was a good one. I got the side windows installed using the trim rings, turned backwards. I also decided to use putty tape to help the seal. Once it warms up I will tighten the screws further and trim away more excess putty. There is about a 3/4"-1" gap that I need to do something about between the window and the trim ring, but it can wait. I drilled and installed plexi for the skylight. I managed to not crack it while drilling, but when screwing it on I got 2 small cracks, so far they have not extended past the putty tape so no leakage. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they don't spread.

The trailer turn signals and wiring are installed. The interior lights, power stations and power inverter wiring are installed. I will mount the inverter to the underside of the countertop so it is not installed quite yet. The table is done, but not installed as I need to poly it with the counter tops (not made yet). I have decided to use velcro to hold the side vinyl walls in place and have installed most of the self adhesive hook side. The loop side will be sewn onto the vinyl.

I have added the lower exterior trim and "fenders". For the sake of time I used 2x2s for the fenders and some 1x5 for the trim. They are screwed and gorilla glued onto the sides. I need to touch up the paint as I intentionally goobered it on to try to fill some of the gaps where the GG did not expand to fully fill them. Last night I went to caulk the joint and this morning after a night of rain, much of the caulking looks to have been washed away. Will try again tonight.

I have one weekend left till our fathers day weekend camping trip and will focus on the important things like installing the front window, installing the plastic living hinge over the piano hinge, making the counter tops, and finishing the sidewalls. I also want to touch up the paint before we go. Here are some pics:

exterior

interior window trim ring

interior lights and skylight

"power station" and wire to power inverter

rear with lights and new license plate installed.

top closed and white caulking along bottom trim (before it was washed away last night)
Aligator944
Teardrop Builder

Postby atahoekid » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:26 pm

You are getting real close!!! I love all the wood work on the inside. Looks sharp!!! Hope mine turns out as nicely! Keep it up!! :applause: :applause:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:36 am

Gator, now you just Have to paint those rims , everything else looks so NICE !!! :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Aligator944 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:14 pm

You are right, I do need to paint the rims. I love black rims, painted them black on my Mazda MX5 as can be seen in the background of several photos.
Aligator944
Teardrop Builder

Postby pete42 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:28 am

I know I'm late with the electrical questions......But stranded wire is more forgiving when it comes to shaking & bending it will get in a trailer
it also allows for more exposed area so the wire will be cooler when electricity pass through it.

In regards to the amount of amps it can carry there is no difference in 14 gage solid or 14 gage stranded
electricity flows through the wire by the electrons bumping each other along think pvc pipe and pingpong balls the smaller the wire 14 gave vs 10 gage
the electrons are rubbing each other getting hot so the bigger the wire or pvc the less the electrons or pingpong balls touch each
other bigger wire less heat bigger pipe less restriction.

only when we get into higher frequencies does the emf travel on the outside of a wire not inside (skin effect) again think CB or ham radio antennas
the cleaner you keep them the better they work because the EMF doesn't have to wade through the dirt on the outside before heading off into the air.

I really like what you have done to your trailer it is one nice looking build one of which you can be proud.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:18 am

that is one beautiful camper! :applause: :wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies