How big a foamie?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

How big a foamie?

Postby Treeview » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:57 pm

My ToyBox project is coming along nicely. Given what I started with it will be a nice camper when I'm done. The catch is that it's about 3-4" too short for me to stand straight up. In order to stand I either put my chin on my chest or splay my legs apart.

My vision is already going to Build #2! My original plan was to build the ToyBox and then make it removable from the Toyota chassis. Finding a half ton pickup or cut the back of a van and then add a removable flatbed. The prime vehicle would have the flatbed for everyday use and the ToyBox for camping.

Seeing the success that people are having building foamies I'm wondering how tall, wide and long people have pushed the design.

Since Foamies are a lot like SIPs http://www.sips.org/ I imagine that there is no limit. Adding in some walls or integrating cabinets for structure should suffice.

The Aussies have the UTE thing down!

https://www.google.com/search?q=ute+camper+bodies&num=100&newwindow=1&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=jYx&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ZFshUuC-I9O0sATOsYHoAQ&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1067&bih=555

Tom
Treeview
The 300 Club

Re: How big a foamie?

Postby mezmo » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:15 am

They also call them "Tray Campers" - that might bring up some
different variations.

They've had some interesting looking "Utes" over the years too.
For those that aren't aware of "Utes", they are a kind of pickup
truck that has a car-like "cab" - like our El Caminos and the Ranchero.
Very popular Down Under. Just Google "Australian Utes" and
"Vintage Australian Utes" for examples.
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Treeview » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:23 am

Ute is what Aussies call pickups. I thought that I read somewhere that they don't have boxes on any Aussie 'pickups'. It standard to have a flatbed mounted from the factory. Makes more sense to me!

Tom
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:21 pm

QUOTE: “ Since Foamies are a lot like SIPs http://www.sips.org/ I imagine that there is no limit. Adding in some walls or integrating cabinets for structure should suffice.” .... that pretty much says it all eh ... :thumbsup:

The old “UNI-BODY" construction ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:25 pm

Just don't make it too tall and narrow!

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55868

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Treeview » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:41 pm

Mike,

Thanks for the link.

In my case the dimensions and stability are only remotely important since my plan would be to mount the foamie on a pickup or van cutaway chassis. It doesn't ahve to be too tall either.

Tom
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby atahoekid » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:10 am

Hey Tom,

I agree with you about SIPs. cabinets and the like for structure and the only real limitation of size is what you can store and what you can comfortably keep on the road. My next project (in the R and D phase) would be a Foamie fifth wheel. Once I find a good used frame I might be in trouble 'cuz though I really think it would be a cool project, I'm not sure where I could build it.

I think I need an old unused warehouse or barn for all the projects I'm beginning to think about working on. :shock: :? :oops: :lol: :D
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Bogo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:37 pm

atahoekid wrote:I think I need an old unused warehouse or barn for all the projects I'm beginning to think about working on. :shock: :? :oops: :lol: :D
There is much danger in having lots of space for projects. Have barn... It's large enough that I can put my house in it, and turn it around. Thankfully it's full of machinery or I'd have it full of projects. Oh, that's right, farm machinery = projects. :shock: :lol:

Size wise, I wanted enough room for a queen bad, indoor kitchen, shower, and toilet. Inside it is 5' wide, and a bit over 11' long. Design is still a work in progress. Cowgirl is 5' 8-1/2" tall, SUV is a 4Runner, and tire size is 31x10.5R15 to match my 4Runner and Hilux pickup.

Inside with bed turned into sofa. Also some modules on wall.

Top up.

Top down and ready for travel.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby Treeview » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:14 pm

Bogo,

I like your ideas!

Have you figured out the lift mechanism yet? A three tier lift will be complicated...whew! Sealing each section of the telescope seems a challenge. Not insurmountable, but a challenge.

Since I'm 6'2" a lengthwise bed is the most likely solution. Sideways would be nice but that makes the unit wider. This is planning for wayyyyyyyyyy in the future. I have to finish the ToyBox first! If I do another build I'll probably have to sell the ToyBox to finance it. That would mean being without a camper for the interum. More plannning :)

Tom
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby Bogo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:45 pm

Three tier lift is still relatively simple. I'll likely be using cables. At each corner there will be a cable. It will have a fixed attachment to the inside side of the bottom of the top's wall. The cable will then go up in the gap space between walls and over a pulley mounted to the top of the middle wall. From there it will be routed through a tube down to the bottom of the middle wall, and around a pulley down there. Then it goes up in the gap space between the middle wall, and the bottom section's wall to a pulley mounted to the top of the bottom section's wall. From there it will be routed with tubes and pulleys to a block that will combine all 4 cables into one. From there it will go to a winch that will be used to raise and lower the walls. As the cable is pulled on, the only place it can shorten is in the gap areas between the walls. That will lift the walls. I expect I'll have to have turnbuckles on all 4 cables to get them tensioned the same. I'll be hiding most of the cable routing inside the basement area, and only have the winch positioned on the tongue. It'll need to be far forward in a place that is accessible when the top is down. I likely can find a winch at a RV salvage place, or get one from Farmtek.
Bogo
500 Club

Return to Foamies