wyoming gathering august 17-19 WALK THE WINDS 2012

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

Postby parnold » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:27 pm

I really like "Walk the Winds 2012".

What do you mean by Intermountain?
parnold
Donating Member

Postby sagebrush » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:52 pm

My nephew stayed there several years ago with his UW geology field class.
His report
Cell service is spotty.
Lots of bear sign in area. Would recomend Bear Spray or something stronger.
Great scenery and hiking.
Chilly at night.

How abouth Teardrop Rendezvous for the name?
In the early 1800's fur trappers and traders had several rendezvous in area. Pinedale has several museums of the early days.

With beatle kill in the area might be plenty of firewood available. Local ranger should be able to answer this.
we will try to answer your questions, keep'em coming.
Y'all come now y'hear!
We ain't skeer'd of the dark!

Living large in a small way!
sagebrush
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:01 pm

This is the official sign up sheet. I took these names from the 2 threads we have going. If you are not on this list or you are and you are not coming please send me a PM and let me know. We ask that you only put your name on the list if you are for sure going. We don't want to turn anyone away and then have no shows. Mike and I thank you all for your cooperation and interest in this gathering.

Place......New Fork Group Campground SiteA

August 16-19 3 nights Thursday leaving Sunday

http://www.visitpinedale.org/attraction ... lakes.html

This has some info. We are in the group site so some of this does not apply to our site.

Here are those I have as attending

Slowcowboy -------- Mike
Woodbutcher ------- Steve
Parnold --------- Paul
Wolfgang92025 -------- Wolfgang
Kevin&sandy
Corncountry -------- Jim & Diane
Sagebrush
TomU -------- Tom, Stacey and Jesse
Eaglesdare---------------- Louella

Maybe's
Pizzaguy----------------Bruce
Warpony----------------Jeff
Wannabe---------------Elmer
Pam Wright

Great start lets keep it going!
Last edited by Woodbutcher on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:20 pm

I wonder if I can make it work. Always wanted to see Wyoming, and to camp would be great long drive from mn though by myself but we will see. hmmmm
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:16 am

go ahead and put us down. i will skip on our southern cross country trip this year. will make this one our goal. i am excited and trying to make our route up now.
we were going west this year, it was just a matter of where, so now that we know where, we are pretty much good to go.
is this a pet friendly area though? will be bringing the dog.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:30 am

Woodbutcher: I see you say the sight will hold 30 vehicles. Most parks consider the trailer a vehicle as well as the car. Maybe you can find out if there is somewhere some of us could park our cars to allow more people to come if we hit our limit? I'd be willing to walk a little.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Pizzaguy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:25 pm

I'd be very interested in this gathering! Couple of questions for Slow......

Isn't this New Fork Lake on the western flank of the Wind River Mtns?

Isn't your ranch around Pavillion?

How do you cross the Winds from your place? 287 south thru Lander then 28 thru South Pass City then North on 191?

Put me down tenetively, I'll know more as we get more into the year.

Bruce
Pizzaguy
Teardrop Master

Postby TENNJIM » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:30 pm

Congratulations Slow on getting a gathering set up for Wyoming. Sheryl and I really regret we will miss this one but hope to catch another one. We are already scheduled to be in Oregon for my grandson's Birthday on the 18th. I have hiked and camped the Green River Lakes area out of Pinedale twice previously. Everyone is in for a real treat-there is nothing to compare to the Wind River mountains, streams, lakes, and trails.
:applause:
Jim B / Utah
Most People Seem Normal Until You Really Get To Know Them!
Never mind what people say, I think those Saguaros are shooting us the finger!
72.68% Of All Statistics Are Made Up!
TENNJIM
Palladium Donating Member

Postby mechmagcn » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:46 pm

Hmmm... plan to come through that area on the way back from AK this summer, but it'll probably be in late June. Wonder if I can stretch my vacation out another 2 months? 8)
Jeff & Micki
53 F100
Mercedes turbo diesel
Teardrop "finished" as if they ever are
You can never be lost if you don't care where you are going!
mechmagcn
Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:40 pm

parnold wrote:What do you mean by Intermountain?

Paul,

Being new to this area, and having seen Intermountain in names around here, I had to look it up. Got this of Wiki,

"The Intermountain West is a region of North America lying between the Rocky Mountains to the east and the Cascades and Sierra Nevada to the west. It is also called the Intermountain Region."

and

"The intermountain states are generally considered to be the area of Idaho south of the Salmon River, Utah, Nevada, as well as the area of Arizona north of the Colorado River, and the parts of Colorado that are just west of the rockies.[4] The intermountain states are so named because they lie between (or at least amidst) the Rocky Mountains, the Sierra Nevada and the Cascades. Large areas of these states are less mountainous than the typical mountains found in these states. The intermountain states are included among those states considered as the Mountain States."
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby parnold » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:48 pm

Thanks Wolfgang!
:thumbsup:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby notned » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:52 pm

This interests me. I'm not sure yet if I can swing it.

Question, is it correct to say this is about 150 miles from Yellowstone? Would they be winding roads? Best wishes to you all in this endeavor.
notned
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:19 pm

I talked to the Ranger District today to get some more info.

I wanted to know how many trailers we could get in. There is conflicting info on different websites about this. Thea (Ranger) said that every year they make the space a little bigger. It is basically a big field that she said should hold 30 Car/trailer units. She was going to try and get the actual measurements of the space and said she would email me.
I asked about alternate campsites. She said that New Fork Lake campground is only 1/4 to a 1/2 mile away. There is a small sandy beach there and a small boat slip. But none of these sites can be reserved. I did not think to ask if there is a cost for these sites. But it would be possible for some in our group that arrive first could snag these spots if they do not mind being a little ways from the group. This would mean driving up to group meals and fires but is a way to get more in if we need to. She also said that there is plenty of room for Dispersed camping. Basically just setup anywhere along the road. So although it is rustic camping we should be able to accommodate a good sized group.
Potable water is about a mile away on a bad road, 5 to 10 minutes.
Firewood is sold in Pinedale. But we can have as much Dead and Down wood as we want. There is a lot of it. She said bring a bow or chainsaw and cut as much as we want.
Cell service is spotty. AT&T and the local Union Wireless works best. Verizon not so much. They all work in town and if you drive a little further up the mountain there is service here and there.
Pets are welcome as long as they are leased and cleaned up after. I will be bringing mine along.

If anything else comes up let either Mike or I know and we will try and find the answer. Mike is leaving for business tonight and will not be back till the end of the week.

Thanks.

Steve
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:29 pm

Notned......It is about 150 miles from Pinedale to the center of Yellowstone National Park. I was last in Yellowstone in the mid 80's and I do not remember the roads that well. Maybe someone else can chime in with that. I will be leaving the gathering and heading through the Tetons and into Yellowstone. Then on to a Jeep Jamboree in Dayton WY. before heading back to Chicago.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby sagebrush » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:31 pm

About 130 miles from south entrance of Yellowstone. I'm thinking the roads are better than Ca 70 east from Oroville( been better than 13 years since I've been to Ca tho)
I'll bring my chainsaw!
Will
We ain't skeer'd of the dark!

Living large in a small way!
sagebrush
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to North Central