brown paper bag floor?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

brown paper bag floor?

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:48 am

who did their tear floor with the brown paper bag floor? any one have a link to this. i have been searching but i just can't find it.
thanks for any help.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Re: brown paper bag floor?

Postby campmaster-k » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:54 am

I dont know about that thread, but I have been party to several bag floors. Works great very durable, easy and cheap. If you need instruction I can help.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:03 am

Took me a few minutes to find it, but it was Sharon's MyAway build... its pretty cool! :thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?p=755418#p755418
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:06 am

thanks for the link!

well i searched "how to's" and you tube on this. some use elmers glue and some just use the poly. so does what you use really make a difference? i am wondering about using tb3 (i have it on hand). this is for the paper laying down part. not the layers of poly on top.

also was wondering how to add color. i would like to make the floor with different colors (if possible). any ideas on this?

i want to do the trailer floor in this as i think it is going to hide some of my flaws, and i like the way it looks. should be easy to clean and repair.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:08 am

do you think you could use construction paper on this? perhaps on top of the brown paper? or do you think they may run?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:39 am

""also was wondering how to add color. i would like to make the floor with different colors (if possible). any ideas on this?""

How about the sunday comics..... :laughter:

One of the trailers at the Crossroads of America gathering last summer had a giant wall map sealed on the exterior of his trailer. Might be a great way to never get lost :roll:

Last edited by bobhenry on Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Sharm » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:02 pm

eaglesdare wrote:do you think you could use construction paper on this? perhaps on top of the brown paper? or do you think they may run?

I'd consider color running a bonus. You could get really cool effects this way. Small scale testing may be the only way to find out for certain though.
Sharm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:03 pm

i am a scrapbooker, so i am now thinking i will use some of that on the floor. but i believe i will first put a layer (base coat) of the brown paper down first. then add my colored paper on top. i don't see why that could not work. i don't think this scraping paper will run, at least i hope not.

so that takes care of the color issue, now what about that first adhesive stuff? elmers glue? poly or tb3?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:16 pm

Since you are talking about a floor, I would imagine that you would need to use the poly for the durability.

On a side note, Louella, it doesn't look like I'll be able to make it to your build weekend. Too many things going on, and 4.5 hour drive is just too much right now. :cry:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:42 pm

now zach, don't let me scare you off from meeting a cutie!

ok i am on my way out there to get started on it.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby campmaster-k » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:08 pm

Here is my two cents. You can pretty much use any kind of paper including newspaper and magazine pages. To make the process go smoothly and prevent wrinkles you need to pre soak the paper so that it can expand BEFORE it gets on the floor or wall. If you just glue down dry paper it will wrinkle like crazy when you put on the finish. The way I advise my customers to do this is the following - Tear up the bags , some people dont like the creased parts so you can tear them out if you see fit. Soak a piece in water until saturated then drag it across a towel to rid the excess. Paint down some acrylic/water based poly -u then stick down your piece. Brush some more poly-u over it. Repeat. The acrylic poly u dries crystal clear so no worries about what is going to show. If you use some kind of glue it will not dry clear and can show up in the final product. One the entire floor is complete put several more coats on top.
-Kirk

Build thread -

Check out my Pictures -

campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:00 pm

thanks for all that info! i watched a you tube on it, and she used elmers watered down. i tried that. she also said she thought she messed up because she had wrinkles, but that they went away after drying. well i do have wrinkles. now will they go away once dried, i don't know. i did not do the whole floor, only part of it, but enough to know for sure once it has dried. so tomorrow i will check and see how it worked. if this did not work, i am not sure what i am going to try next.

the one thing i noticed though, is this isn't as easy as one might think.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby campmaster-k » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:32 pm

eaglesdare wrote:thanks for all that info! i watched a you tube on it, and she used elmers watered down. i tried that. she also said she thought she messed up because she had wrinkles, but that they went away after drying. well i do have wrinkles. now will they go away once dried, i don't know. i did not do the whole floor, only part of it, but enough to know for sure once it has dried. so tomorrow i will check and see how it worked. if this did not work, i am not sure what i am going to try next.

the one thing i noticed though, is this isn't as easy as one might think.

Some of the wrinkles will go away and some will stay, presoaking the paper will fix this problem. Elmers glue is not good it will never get really hard and it is not water proof. Regular elmers glue is a vinyl resin and inferior to acrylic or poly -u.
-Kirk

Build thread -

Check out my Pictures -

campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby droid_ca » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:13 pm

so could you use old nautical maps for this or would it not work
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:31 pm

Louella, Look here, down towards the bottom of the page, with questions answered in the next couple pages:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=27313&start=330

If you think your colors are going to run, spray them with a sealer first. My leaves were colored with stain and I tested them before I did the whole floor and their coloring ran; so, I sprayed the leaves with a light coat of varnish and let them dry. After that, no problems! I would guess that you could use any kind of paper you might want.

The Minwax product that I used is made for floors; so, it might be better than Elmers for this process, though.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to General Discussion