Nebraska Barn Find - 1946 Sportsman

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Nebraska Barn Find - 1946 Sportsman

Postby Gage » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:25 pm

I might add that to do it right it's going to take some time so don't get in a hurry and set a finish date and then start taking short cuts to meet that date. And it's all right to step away from it for a few weeks at a time if you don't think you’re getting anywhere. You've gotten some good advice from those that know. So take notes and run with it. And don't be afraid to ask one of us a question or two. :)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mezmo » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:26 pm

By all means restore it ! You'll be living out the ultimate
dream of a vintage trailer enthusiast to do so. A complete trailer
barn find ! Rob's resto is proof enough that you have that kind
of diamond in the rough. "Repolish" it back to its beauty.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Todah Tear » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:12 am

Great fine! She's a beaut!

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:49 am

I am so glad to hear that you've decided to clean it up and restore it. I've been looking for a project too. Unfortunately, I have one big obstacle. If I find one, I have no where to restore it. My driveway needs to stay clear, since I can't park on the street, my garage isn't big enough and I can't get something like that to my back yard. Good Luck on it and I will be looking on in envy. Cheers! :beer:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby cryptojones » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:46 am

atahoekid wrote:I am so glad to hear that you've decided to clean it up and restore it. I've been looking for a project too. Unfortunately, I have one big obstacle. If I find one, I have no where to restore it. My driveway needs to stay clear, since I can't park on the street, my garage isn't big enough and I can't get something like that to my back yard. Good Luck on it and I will be looking on in envy. Cheers! :beer:

Funny you should say that. My garage is big enough to build a teardrop, but not big enough to even house the Sportsman. My plan is to find a large storage area or hanger to use.
cryptojones
Teardrop Builder

Postby cryptojones » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:49 am

Gage wrote:I might add that to do it right it's going to take some time so don't get in a hurry and set a finish date and then start taking short cuts to meet that date. And it's all right to step away from it for a few weeks at a time if you don't think you’re getting anywhere. You've gotten some good advice from those that know. So take notes and run with it. And don't be afraid to ask one of us a question or two. :)

I agree. My biggest concern is I have ZERO experience in sheet metals (or any metals for that matter.) All of my experience is in Wood, Foam, Fiberglass and Resins. My first thought was just to make it fiberglass, but after seeing how AMAZING Rob's build is, I want to keep it as original as possible.
cryptojones
Teardrop Builder

Postby 48Rob » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:15 am

I agree. My biggest concern is I have ZERO experience in sheet metals (or any metals for that matter.) All of my experience is in Wood, Foam, Fiberglass and Resins. My first thought was just to make it fiberglass, but after seeing how AMAZING Rob's build is, I want to keep it as original as possible.

You'll be glad to know; there is no complicated metal work involved!

All the siding is simple flat sheets screwed together. The roof panels are flat sheets rivited together, and attached to the roof framing with some nails and screws.

Polishing is quite a chore, but not complicated.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby cryptojones » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:17 am

48Rob wrote:

You'll be glad to know; there is no complicated metal work involved!

All the siding is simple flat sheets screwed together. The roof panels are flat sheets rivited together, and attached to the roof framing with some nails and screws.

Polishing is quite a chore, but not complicated.

Rob

Is that the original metal on your restore? It looks SOOOO shiney. There are pretty big gashes in mine. I wonder if it would be worth it to just take the pieces in to a metal shop and get new ones cut.
cryptojones
Teardrop Builder

Postby dmb90260 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:55 am

cryptojones wrote:Is that the original metal on your restore? It looks SOOOO shiney. There are pretty big gashes in mine. I wonder if it would be worth it to just take the pieces in to a metal shop and get new ones cut.

If you are going that route I believe you can find metal siding that is "pre-polished" Naturally it will carry a premium price too.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby cryptojones » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:02 pm

dmb90260 wrote:
cryptojones wrote:Is that the original metal on your restore? It looks SOOOO shiney. There are pretty big gashes in mine. I wonder if it would be worth it to just take the pieces in to a metal shop and get new ones cut.

If you are going that route I believe you can find metal siding that is "pre-polished" Naturally it will carry a premium price too.

My boss says there are plenty of shops around here that can restore metal cheaply. I like the idea of keeping as many original parts as possible.
cryptojones
Teardrop Builder

Postby 48Rob » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:20 pm

Yes, it is the original aluminum.

It has some dings and deep scratches in it, that are visible, but I was going for original exterior.

New metal would be really nice if you can afford it, though the old windows and trim might look bad against the new, and before you know it, you'll have a fortune in it.

If you have shops locally that will polish the siding for you inexpensively, that would be the route to go.
I'm capable, but I'll never polish another one, it is just too much effort.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby cryptojones » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:48 pm

48Rob wrote:Yes, it is the original aluminum.

It has some dings and deep scratches in it, that are visible, but I was going for original exterior.

New metal would be really nice if you can afford it, though the old windows and trim might look bad against the new, and before you know it, you'll have a fortune in it.

If you have shops locally that will polish the siding for you inexpensively, that would be the route to go.
I'm capable, but I'll never polish another one, it is just too much effort.

Rob

Just as a test I took a dremmel and polishing compiund and in no time at all the skin looked amazing!!
Attachments
IMG_0493.JPG
IMG_0493.JPG (82.62 KiB) Viewed 449 times
IMG_0495.JPG
IMG_0495.JPG (71.38 KiB) Viewed 449 times
IMG_0496.JPG
IMG_0496.JPG (104.44 KiB) Viewed 449 times
cryptojones
Teardrop Builder

Postby Junkboy999 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:50 pm

he :lol: heheh. boy, that's gonna take a long time. Reminds me of Homer Simpson cutting his while lawn with a weed wacker.

Great find BTW GL looks like a fun project.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pchast » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:25 pm

goon excuse to buy a 7" variable speed buffer.

:D

Its a good project when you can buy a new tool!
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby SuperShady1 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:50 pm

RESTORE ....RESTORE!!!!
Its a beautiful world we live in
A sweet romantic place
Beautiful people everywhere
The way they show they care
Makes me want to say

Its a beautiful world
Its a beautiful world