Your Portable potti choices

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby steve wolverton » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:29 pm

dmb90260 wrote:It is almost surprising how much difference a couple inches make.

�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby john » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:14 pm

Thanks for al the input guys.

How is cleaning the flush type accomplished?

At the dump station?
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby Arne » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:26 pm

well, John....... :}

that's a tricky question..... however you do it, don't watch.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby steve wolverton » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:10 pm

john wrote:How is cleaning the flush type accomplished?

At the dump station?

Yep, or the restroom. When the lines are backed up at the dump station, (which seems to happen quite a bit) you can carry the bottom half in and dump in a toilet at the restrooms. Fill it a few times with water (from the shower) and dump in the toilet again to clean.

The Thetford pine chemicals smell nice. They do a great job. The other brands smell chemical to me.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby SmokeyBob » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:13 pm

john wrote:Thanks for al the input guys.

How is cleaning the flush type accomplished?

At the dump station?

John
At the dump station on the indoor toilets.
A pic from the manual of the Thetford Mod 465 that I have.

For more info on this unit go here http://www.thetford.com/Home/Products/PortableToiletsHome/PortaPotti465/tabid/166/Default.aspx
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Elumia » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:37 pm

As a user of the public shower, I'd appreciate you didn't rinse your toilet there! Would you rinse it in your shower at home?

Saw a guy towing one of those portable blue thingys to the dump last time I was camping. Unfortunately, he left the cap off and it was slogging all over the road. Jees.

Please be considerate of others when emptying your personal pit toilet.

Mark
Elumia
500 Club

Postby clkelley564 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:09 pm

Elumia wrote:As a user of the public shower, I'd appreciate you didn't rinse your toilet there! Would you rinse it in your shower at home?

Saw a guy towing one of those portable blue thingys to the dump last time I was camping. Unfortunately, he left the cap off and it was slogging all over the road. Jees.

Mark

I'm hoping what he means and what I do is use the shower to fill the bottom again, close the lid, swish around and dump in the toilet again. In most comfort stations the shower is the only place where you can fill the thing. The sink faucets just won't work in most cases.
Carol
MOUSE-KE-T@B
2007 ClamShell #2741
2009 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4.8 V8
http://mouseketab.blogspot.com/ Updated 07/12/2011

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_ ... c_id=13203
clkelley564
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:18 pm

Arne wrote:
..... however you do it, don't watch.

:lol: :lol: :lol: How True!

Frankly, I wouldn't want to use either the sink or shower to rinse it and I wouldn't want to see anybody else use those either.

I think I'd look for a hose bib outside or bring a jug filled from a faucet to rinse with.

I would've thought the water and chemicals were enough without rinsing. Guess not, huh?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:46 pm

clkelley564 wrote:
Elumia wrote:As a user of the public shower, I'd appreciate you didn't rinse your toilet there! Would you rinse it in your shower at home?

Mark

I'm hoping what he means and what I do is use the shower to fill the bottom again, close the lid, swish around and dump in the toilet again. In most comfort stations the shower is the only place where you can fill the thing. The sink faucets just won't work in most cases.

Most of the dump stations we visit have a water supply and that should be good enough reason to use it. They really don't want potty chemicals dumped in the toilets because that water is often treated and consumed or put in the environment. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby wlooper89 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:09 pm

We met a couple using a teardrop who had a seat and plastic bag arrangement, and I think they put a Depend type diaper in the bag to soak up liquid and deodorize. The woman said it was easy to dispose in campground trash. I noticed the maximum absorbancy ones are quite a bit less than $1 each at CVS pharmacy. But I am not sure how much liquid they can absorb.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Bill
wlooper89
Gold Donating Member

Postby steve wolverton » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:42 pm

clkelley564 wrote:I'm hoping what he means and what I do is use the shower to fill the bottom again, close the lid, swish around and dump in the toilet again.

Yes, that is what he meant, and what he said. ;)
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:44 pm

wlooper89 wrote:
We met a couple using a teardrop who had a seat and plastic bag arrangement, and I think they put a Depend type diaper in the bag to soak up liquid and deodorize. The woman said it was easy to dispose in campground trash. I noticed the maximum absorbancy ones are quite a bit less than $1 each at CVS pharmacy. But I am not sure how much liquid they can absorb.

Interesting Idea! I would think it would work pretty well.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:50 pm

Dee Bee wrote: But also read that mixing urine and faces is what causes that aweful odor found in repulsive outhouses. Separate the urine and most of the odor is gone. Cover the faeces after each use with sawdust, ashes, dry leaves, newspaper, hand paper towels, peat most, almost anything, and there is no offensive odor.

That's interesting... So that's why dogs don't pee and poop in the same place? :?

FWIW, we only use the porta potty for urine. The campground bathhouse gets used otherwise.

We typically don't have a problem with smells. But I started using that deodorizer just in case.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby wlooper89 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:56 am

I would rather not dump a porta potti holding tank anywhere other than at the dump station. Unless it was perhaps in the woods at a more private location and liquid waste only.

Bill
Last edited by wlooper89 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
wlooper89
Gold Donating Member

Having RV'd For Years

Postby Franklin » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:14 am

Having RV'd for years, we prefer the Thedford Portable Toilet for camping. We actually preferred the cassette to the fresh water toilets in the RV because they were just easier to maintain. I did love the look of the wooden sawdust toilet though and want something like that when we move "out" which I hope will be soon. One very, very important thing to watch is the chemicals that you use as for me and many others, formaldehyde is just nasty giving me headaches - super headaches. For short term you don't need something that would save the remains for years anyway. We use either a natural marine one called "Sea-Zyme" or the green one at Wal-Mart called TST - always carefully read the directions since a porti-potti requires a very small amount. We keep our porti-potti in our full-size van all the time - it just makes life more simple and safe these days. Cathy
Franklin
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion