Starting Design-Asking for Trailer Review

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Starting Design-Asking for Trailer Review

Postby eLink » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:29 pm

Yes, similar to VW seals. Here is my best guess using a TrimLok product. I was mostly concerned about its application on thin plywood. But based on the examples I have seen, it should work ok.
eLink
Teardrop Master

Postby Capebuild » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:05 pm

eLink wrote:Yes, similar to VW seals. Here is my best guess using a TrimLok product. I was mostly concerned about its application on thin plywood. But based on the examples I have seen, it should work ok.

Thanks for posting that image. My concern with that technique of mounting a sheet of plastic like that is the spring back (memory) from the plastic. I just don't know if that will put enough force on the rubber gasket to kind of want to pull it out, or otherwise stress it. I suppose the thickness of the plastic plays a part. I would love to find a vendor who can heat bend Lexan. That would work well, I think. If you're using .125 plexi, maybe it's not an issue, bending it like that.....but
.250 material, just not sure. I saw another build that used .125 Lexan but didn't use a rubber seal.... they seemed to have held the Lexan in place with aluminum trim, screwed the trim down, trapping the Lexan..... and I imagine using a urethane sealant of some sort.
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby bartek » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:38 pm

I don't know if you got the answer to your fan question yet - I had mine originally planned to be on the top of the trailer which is pretty flat, but I had to relocate it to the back to make sure the trailer fits in the garage (it was just an inch to tall :)).
The curve is pretty pronounced there and I'm planning to fabricate a flat frame the size of the fan which will provide a flat surface for mounting the fan.
Image 6x10 family teardrop, build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73426
bartek
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Capebuild » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:46 pm

tony.latham wrote:
I just want to try and confirm the distance is correct (regarding the 40/60 rule).

It looks fine. It should be close to the 60/40 on the trailer frame, not the total length of the trailer. Just make sure you plave the axle using actual stubs, not the torsion axle's cross-member.

Tony

Thanks, Tony, for the feedback on the frame. Just wanted to make sure I'm in the ballpark and measuring from the correct locations.

Bartek, Thanks for your thoughts on the fan. I think I'll need to provide a bit of flat for the fan to rest on. Seems like one of those things I'll tackle when I get into the build.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:25 pm

I think I'll need to provide a bit of flat for the fan to rest on.

Since you're doing this design using a CAD program, you might as well as zoom into where you're going to install your fan and see how much of a factor your curve is at that point. It may be something that butyl tape can handle.

I did that when I was designing my third-brake light:

It made life easy as far as the angles etc. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:32 pm

eLink and John,
That TrimLoc is one of the products I saw. I think it also can be ordered with a heat activated seal as well as adding additional adhesive sealer.
My applications have been a flat glass Willys windshield and a VW bus windshield which of course had no spring back concerns.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby eLink » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:50 pm

Capebuild wrote:My concern with that technique of mounting a sheet of plastic like that is the spring back (memory) from the plastic. I just don't know if that will put enough force on the rubber gasket to kind of want to pull it out, or otherwise stress it. I suppose the thickness of the plastic plays a part. I would love to find a vendor who can heat bend Lexan. That would work well, I think. If you're using .125 plexi, maybe it's not an issue, bending it like that.....but
.250 material, just not sure. I saw another build that used .125 Lexan but didn't use a rubber seal.... they seemed to have held the Lexan in place with aluminum trim, screwed the trim down, trapping the Lexan..... and I imagine using a urethane sealant of some sort.

You're right, rubber gaskets would not work for cold-forming the plastic that way. But I intend to heat-form mine.
Originally, I was going to have a plastic shop fabricate a single 40"x15" sheet with a 24" radius curve. But I got a quote for $641!!!
Sooo instead, for just $75 I'm going with two smaller sheets of 15x21x1/4" acrylic...just big enough to fit into my kitchen oven so I can form it myself!
eLink
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:07 am

I used Lexan for my sky light :D

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Capebuild » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:06 pm

bobhenry wrote:I used Lexan for my sky light

Did you heat bend it or otherwise shape the Lexan in some manner? and what thickness Lexan did you use?

Thanks.... just curious how you did it and sealed it.

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:33 am

Hello..... after a month or so, I've developed the design and layout for our trailer. Images attached. There's still a lot of details to work out but the main layout is done. The trailer is 10 feet long, 5 wide. Insulated. 100 watt solar panel on roof (still need to create a fixture to hold it in place). The electrical still needs some fine tuning, not sure it needs to be as "hefty" as I've got it as shown.

I want to thank you all who have helped me along the way. As many others have expressed, this forum is invaluable and I could not have gotten this far without the great help from the members who have so generously shared their own experiences. SO, THANK YOU ALL!!!

Any suggestions or improvements are welcome.

John
Attachments
teardrop_3.16.21 4.jpg
teardrop_3.16.21 4.jpg (168.76 KiB) Viewed 1818 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby eLink » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:45 am

:o Very nice! Looking forward to seeing your construction progress.
eLink
Teardrop Master

Postby TimC » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:05 am

Watching with great interest. You've got a wonderful plan, very aesthetically pleasing and I hope it all comes together.

Tim

PS: My grommet I bought for the solar wire entry didn't come with a gasket. Was quite a surprise and I didn't want to waste time making a return and finding another source. So I improvised with 100% silicone, wax paper and the grommet. See page 9 of my first build (in my signature) to see how I made gaskets. They perform flawlessly. I wonder if your fan mounting area isn't quite flat making a similar gasket might be a solution. It can be a solution to many bedding challenges.

When I get around to repainting (don't like the roof color) I'm going to make similar gaskets for my hatch living hinge and other attachments.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion