Pop Rivet Guns, opinions, uses, do's or don'ts

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Pop Rivet Guns, opinions, uses, do's or don'ts

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:01 pm

Hi y'all, looking for a little information on pop rivet guns. Working on a van conversion. Need to add a rack to the top to hold a solar panel. Solar panel came with basically sheet metal screws for the mounting. I don't believe screws are enough to hold the mounts or the aluminum rack I'm mounting for something catching wind at 65 mph.
I'd use bolts, but don't have access for the nut and washer inside because of the head liner and upper cabinet already installed.
So was thinking about maybe 1/4" pop rivets.. would have more bite on back side of the metal.
Had a set from H F, few years ago. Was a piece of crap. Every other rivet wouldn't fit in the gun.
Anyone know of a good set to purchase?
Thanks in advance for help here..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Re: Pop Rivet Guns, opinions, uses, do's or don'ts

Postby TimC » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:34 pm

Rivet nuts. They are pricier than rivets and require another specialized tool to install but sounds like what you are looking for.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:52 pm

You-tube is awash with videos of people installing rivet nuts without special tools, but I think the "hacks" would be a bit hit and miss.
A complete kit with an installation tool and a small selection of inserts can be had on Ebay for as little as $A25.
This is for the ones that just look like a big pop rivet gun.
I think I'd spend a bit more and get the heavy duty tool that uses two hands. Easier on my arthritic hands and perhaps easier to get into tight spot.
I'd consider buying a big two handed pop riveter too, if I decided to go with 1/4 inch pop rivets. Maybe even electric or air operated. Those real big ones can take it out of you.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby swoody126 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:04 pm

WHEN POP RIVETS POP the center comes out and the head doesn't always remain

this is an invitation to a leaky installation IMHO

Riv-Nuts can be used with rubber gaskets between the nut and the panel frame which would be my choice

i admit having lusted for a Riv-Nut tool for over a year

sw
Last edited by swoody126 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:44 pm

swoody126 wrote:WHEN POP RIVETS POP the center comes out and the head doesn't always remain

Riv-Nuts can be used with rubber gaskets between the nut and the panel frame which woud be my choice

sw

???
Do you not have sealed blind rivets in the US?
Mind you, I'd want the expensive stainless steel ones, I wouldn't like to use aluminium rivets on a steel car body.
I'd probably use the rivnut, but I don't think I'd use a rubber gasket, I think it'd be destroyed when it is pulled down. I 'd probably put a sparing wipe of good quality silicon sealer around the flange before insertion.

But one thing to be borne in mind, I reckon.
Rivnuts or pop rivets, it's only going to be as strong as the sheet metal it is rivetted to.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:05 pm

TimC wrote:Rivet nuts. They are pricier than rivets and require another specialized tool to install but sounds like what you are looking for.

Thanks Tim, Funny, I was thinking about t-nuts. And you came up with rivet nuts, I looked those up just now. I do believe that's exactly what I need. :thumbsup:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby TimC » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:39 pm

If you only have a small number to install it is possible to "set" them with a bolt (grade 5 or 8 preferably) and a socket & ratchet. The rivnut tool would be preferred but ive seen people use a torque wrench to assure proper setting and it has worked. I like Mick's suggestion of silicone seal rather than a rubber washer.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:34 pm

MickinOz wrote:
swoody126 wrote:WHEN POP RIVETS POP the center comes out and the head doesn't always remain

Riv-Nuts can be used with rubber gaskets between the nut and the panel frame which woud be my choice

sw

I'd probably use the rivnut, but I don't think I'd use a rubber gasket, I think it'd be destroyed when it is pulled down. I 'd probably put a sparing wipe of good quality silicon sealer around the flange before insertion.

But one thing to be borne in mind, I reckon.
Rivnuts or pop rivets, it's only going to be as strong as the sheet metal it is rivetted to.

Thanks for all the quick replys, knew I could count on y'all here.

With the design of the riv-nut. There's really not much head for any type of rubber washer or gasket.
So I too am thinking that silicone may be the way to go for sealing.

As for the strength of the sheet metal. The rack I want to build would have plenty of area to space out several riv-nuts for mounting. That shouldn't be a concern.

TimC wrote:If you only have a small number to install it is possible to "set" them with a bolt (grade 5 or 8 preferably) and a socket & ratchet. The rivnut tool would be preferred but ive seen people use a torque wrench to assure proper setting and it has worked. I like Mick's suggestion of silicone seal rather than a rubber washer.

I like the idea of just buying the kit with the tool and assorted riv-nuts. And setting them right the first time.
Doing the silicone. Between the metal and the rack.
I have other places I can use more riv-nuts on the van.
Even the travel trailer we live in. I have a couple projects Riv-nuts will work great for also.
So I'm better off spending the money up front for the good kit.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:44 pm

my reference to a rubber gasket was not under the head of the Riv-Nut it is to go between the Riv-Nut head and the solar panel frame

rubber gaskets/washers can be had in various diameters and can be sized to cover the head

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:08 pm

swoody126 wrote:my reference to a rubber gasket was not under the head of the Riv-Nut it is to go between the Riv-Nut head and the solar panel frame

rubber gaskets/washers can be had in various diameters and can be sized to cover the head

sw

oh I got it sw, thanks. took me a minute. In fact I have some 1/16" rubber gasket material I had bought to make my own lawn mower carburetor gaskets couple years ago, now that I think of it.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:52 am

swoody126 wrote:my reference to a rubber gasket was not under the head of the Riv-Nut it is to go between the Riv-Nut head and the solar panel frame

sw

Oops, read your post wrong. Just when I'm feeling good about my communication skills, too :)
Yes that would be a good place to put a washer.
Should seal everywhere you can when you are penetrating the roof of your vehicle.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Philip » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:04 pm

Buy a riv-nut tool and don't look back. When I bought my tool they were expensive. After a few decades of use I think its payed for itself. Setting them by hand can be a challenge. It can be done but there is a learning curve to overcome. I have done it both ways. Thats why I bought the tool. Thye tool is faster.

With a setting tool the learning curve is just don't over set it. You know when that happens. You pull the threads out of the nut.

:lol:

BTDT
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:17 pm

Philip wrote:Buy a riv-nut tool and don't look back. When I bought my tool they were expensive. After a few decades of use I think its payed for itself. Setting them by hand can be a challenge. It can be done but there is a learning curve to overcome. I have done it both ways. Thats why I bought the tool. Thye tool is faster.
With a setting tool the learning curve is just don't over set it. You know when that happens. You pull the threads out of the nut.
:lol:

BTDT

Well popular vote is to go with the riv-nut. So, headed that way for sure. :thumbsup:
Now, to look up all that are available and find the right one.
The long tool, for two hands is a plus also.
Tool that looks like a pop rivet tool, I'd have a hard time using. Bad hands.. :thinking:

Thank all of you for helping with this,
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:12 am

Most riv-nuts don't take as much pressure to set them as you think. It's about the same pressure as a pop rivet. My tool is the pop revit style tool.

I am sure there are websites that have done reviews on rev-nut tools. Use that as a starting point. Then look over the types of rev-nuts on the market. There are a few different styles. Pick the style that you think fits your build best.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:38 pm

Philip wrote:Most riv-nuts don't take as much pressure to set them as you think. It's about the same pressure as a pop rivet. My tool is the pop revit style tool.

I am sure there are websites that have done reviews on rev-nut tools. Use that as a starting point. Then look over the types of rev-nuts on the market. There are a few different styles. Pick the style that you think fits your build best.

Thanks Philip, I'm sold on the riv-nut way, looked at this set https://www.amazon.com/Speder-Threaded- ... PYNM&psc=1 as well as a couple others.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion