Northwoods Progress

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby sdtripper2 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:00 am

Greg:

I laughed at the bar stool remark and her come back... Image

The last word will inevitably come from she who must be obeyed me thinks?

Now as far as your massive lawn goes.... That seems like self flagellation
to me. Acres of lawn to do in a short summer is abuse if you ask me.
Averaging two times a week can cost in more ways than one. Not to
mention your life's pleasure of enjoying the summer in the Bigwoods of the Far-Nort.

To view a beautiful lawn may be a joy... but ask Mrs Bigwoods if she would :D
want her summer strapped to the lawn mower while you go to Neiman
Marcus to eat bonbons and bask in the view of summer from air-conditioning?
Going to the bomb shelter now ... incoming fur sure if you actually ask her that question.

I have my mattress very comfy with a feather topper as well. On my Utah
trip I got the bed wet and well I had to put the mattress in my rear window
in the Utah sun and it dried out but getting feathers wet can be an issue to be sure.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Bigwoods » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:50 am

To follow up on Steve's reply, I had told him I spend my summer mowing... 8 acres we figure. Thought I would share I few photos of my "yard." Out place is 18 1/2 acres. mostly trees.

I also told him it was rather silly to keep it mowed as no one but me and my wife see it, except for deer, bunnies, and the occasional moose.

We bought our dream house from an eccentric fella who was retired and had the time. I think we are doing it just for his memory, to keep up the place the way he would want.

I am talking to the extension agent about a cash crop for part of it. It may be June berries and or strawberries. A pick your own type of deal.

The Airstrip

Deer Park

Meadow

The cost of gas alone is considerable, and I dread any mower repair bill. That being said, it is beautiful for 5 months out of the year.
Greg in Northern Minnesota

Bigwoods
500 Club

Postby sdtripper2 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:01 am

My gosh Greg ... Beautiful to the eye...

My Mom would love your efforts for sure.

What an expansive view.... but think bud... your summer is gone before you
know it and well the co$t in time and money ... wow...

Got to admit in Vermont those lawns would reflect spiritual ecstasy and social mastery of natures beauty with the expansive eye of greens as they touch the Bigwoods.

How many hours a week are you on the mower, GregImage
Last edited by sdtripper2 on Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Greg M » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:07 am

I know !!!

Buy about a hundred of those robotic self propelled mowers, and let 'em loose. 8) It'll be fun to watch them wandering all over the place and the local critters will get a kick out of it too.

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Bigwoods » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:22 am

Greg,

I have thought about how cool it would be to do it with robots or a memory program on the mower.

Steve,

It takes 8-9 hours plus some maintenance on the mower. Oddly enough, I do find it relaxing to cruise up and down, back and forth. It is very refreshing to spend time making something look nice and the best part is that not a single phone rings. Lots of time for daydreaming and tear planning.

Someone will always have something bigger and nicer but we enjoy it. If I was to tell you what we paid for this place, you westerners would be shocked.

At the beginning of my photo album there is a Google View of the place. It is divided into 5 "parks" and the area around the house.

Best thing is I always have a place to go camping without a drive. It is cool that we dive in under a canopy of trees. This aerial photo definitely show areas that have alkaline in the soil and things will not grow, except thistles.

Bigwoods
500 Club

Postby sdtripper2 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:28 am

Greg::)

So, you find solace and a meditative joy on your land? A spiritual renewal
and much pleasure, enhancing the visual expanses of the land, seems to
be the reward for your labors.

Can imagine you and Linda setting across the table and the discussions about
what animals were seen in the back corner of Deer Park, last eve. Or that you had
finished mowing Meadow One yesterday and Meadow Two would be on the
agenda today. Oh and you tell Linda there was a down tree at DanO's
Passage and so you would take the chainsaw uP today and cut it uP.

Enigma question:

By the way, Greg, in your picture of the Deer Park section there are what
appears to be 5 trees planted that look like the four corners of the
compass, on a map. This image is below the pin and your name Deer Park.
Are those shadows an aberration, or the picture cursor that happened to be
in the picture when you took the screen shot?

Couple more questions :

In No Man's Land, or where thistles rein supreme have you planted some
trees there? What kind?

Is the main dirt road near your home at the top of this picture across the
wood row by DanO's Passage? If so your drive in to your home goes
parallel to the Airstrip under that nice canopy of trees and looking to your
left while making the corner you can see Linda working in her garden as
you drive uP to your welcoming door?

Nature lapping uP on the doorstep would be a pleasure for many who enjoy camping. :)
Thanks for sharing pictures of your homestead at the edge of your Bigwoods.

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Bigwoods » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:26 pm

WOW, are you perceptive. That's exactly how the conversation goes, and you do have an eloquent way with words.. The trees you see that look like a compass are pines about 30' tall. I have tried to plant marigolds at the base and find they don't like the pines so well.

The road is a gravel county road that runs 1/2 mile to another county road. That is important as they get plowed when we get a big snow. We are about 2 1/2 miles from a highway.

Pines and even cottonwoods were planted in the alkali soil and will not grow. Russian olive might, but they are nasty. I lived on the other side of this section for 15 years on a 8 acre homestead. The guy that bought it from was warned about an artesian well that was capped. An old farmer told me that it would kill grass and cattle would not drink it.
The goofus had to run over it with a bulldozer and it ran for weeks. Killed all the wheat it came in contact with. After it dried up the ground was white with salt.

Our water come from 30 miles away by pipe and is very good.

Thanks so much for the interest in Head Acres.

Bigwoods
500 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:32 pm

Greg, that's just beautiful....just thinking...how about a tear gathering? :thinking: Just let us know when the mosquitoes aren't around!! :lol: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Bigwoods » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:41 pm

Doug, what a great idea. Skeeters are non existent mid January, but I think you will need some extra heat source.

Bigwoods
500 Club

Progess July

Postby Bigwoods » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:58 pm

I have accomplish a bit more on the Northwoods. The first picture is the galley nearly completed. My Grand daughter wanted a red door so I complied with a red louvered door. It my not stay. Reminds me the the Stones song, 'I see a red door and I want it painted black No colors anymore I want them to turn black I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes ..,

Interior doors are coming along also. They need panels installed and Mrs. Bigwoods is coming up with that. Either pictures of Moose and pine trees or fabric. To be determined.

The raceway is filling up also. I have a 110 outlet in the galley and one in the cabin. I have ran wires for the 12 volt and have a fuse block installed.

Still having fun building. I sure am looking forward to camping in the Northwoods. One of the best times of the day is when I'm done working on the trailer for the night and I just sit in the door and my dog Shadow jumps in and we plan our trips. He knows tent and he knows fishing and gets excited when I say those words. Probably wonders why I talk about it and we don't go anywhere.

Bigwoods
500 Club

Postby Bigwoods » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:23 am

I got slowed down a bith this week. Ankle, knees, hips and my should started really hurting. Went to Urgent care and they x-rayed for torn rotator. Did several test.

TRhey trhink know I have Lymes disease. That would be good actually. It can be treated. I was so stiff I could hardly walk. It might even be breaking today as I feel pretty good and am sweating like a butcher.

As soon as they said rotator cuff I thought of our friend HalfDomed Danny. That is a long rehab.

I will go and get every thing checked out in the AM.

Greg

Any opinions on the red door?

Bigwoods
500 Club

Postby Kens » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:31 pm

Keep the red door and maybe some red knobs on the other doors? :thumbsup:
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby Bigwoods » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:01 pm

Back at it. I finished the 12v. and the 110. volt except ofr actually wirering the lighst. . Did some interior finish work and now I need to get some hardware. The Generic Benroy plans are great.

Bigwoods
500 Club

More Progress

Postby Bigwoods » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:44 am

I made some more progress on the Northwoods. I was slowed a bit with a health issue, but it sure felt good to get back in the shop and do some work.

I attached the inside covering on the hatch. This week I want to work on the latching mechanism so I am following the other threads on that subject very closely. Need to get to the harware store tomorrow.

I made some interior reading lights. I like them and they should serve the purpose.

I also finished the interior cabinets. The picture is a bit dark. The doors have center panels and I used gold painted hardboard to to fill in the centers. They will end up with Northwoods pictures or be covered in fabric that Mrs. Bigwoods is using for the quilt.

I have the ceiling ready to install, but Mrs. Bigwoods hates the color. I is a yellow that she says "is John Deere yellow. So go buy some green and call it a tractor."
So I need so get some tan or almond and repaint the ceiling before I slide it in. I am using the generic Benroy plans and having a great time. She is getting much more involve and has some color suggestions she has made. Sure makes it nicer that she is taking more interest.

Bigwoods
500 Club

Postby sdtripper2 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:57 am

Greg wrote:I have the ceiling ready to install, but Mrs. Bigwoods hates the color. I is a yellow that she says "is John Deere yellow. So go buy some green and call it a tractor."

She who knows colors has spoken ... and to entice her inside for your camping
delight ... you must paint the inside ceiling to a more subtle color so peace of mind
will be in your family. A wise man knows that most woman don't ride tractors
and so it seems with yours.

So make it so .... so she will go... ;)

Looks good Greg... Like the cabinets and lighting....

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs