Cooking inside a Cargo Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Cooking inside a Cargo Conversion

Postby hikrynut » Tue May 19, 2015 4:37 pm

I cut the hole and made the door myself. It was not easy finding the trim, but eventually craigslist paid off and found a guy selling a couple of doors that I could scrounge the trim, hinges and locking bar off of.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432071384.223950.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432071384.223950.jpg (104.88 KiB) Viewed 2631 times

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432071358.356607.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432071358.356607.jpg (113.91 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
hikrynut
Teardrop Builder

Postby professorkx » Tue May 19, 2015 4:40 pm

hikrynut wrote:I cut the hole and made the door myself. It was not easy finding the trim, but eventually craigslist paid off and found a guy selling a couple of doors that I could scrounge the trim, hinges and locking bar off of.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432071358.356607.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432071384.223950.jpg

Very nicely done, and looks factory.
professorkx
Teardrop Master

Postby Spotman » Tue May 19, 2015 5:04 pm

:thumbsup: We have the same side window. Boy, that takes a lot to cut that big of a hole! But it is worth it the way it looks and works. :thumbsup:

Bob
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Postby desertrat222 » Wed May 20, 2015 12:50 pm

that's Awesome! :D :applause: :thumbsup:
desertrat222
Teardrop Master

Postby rebapuck » Sun May 31, 2015 12:34 am

I can't believe anyone would object to the smell of bacon, old or new. ;)
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Prem » Sun May 31, 2015 10:57 am

:pictures: Never an inside mess, grease splatters or odors:

http://tinyurl.com/ohsfbt2

:thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby MTPockets » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:06 am

:thumbsup:

What's not to love about something good cooking in the dutch oven!

Gene
Our 7x16 vee nose cargo trailer camper/toy hauler conversion... http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=62716#p1120416
MTPockets
Teardrop Inspector

Postby crumvoc » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:46 pm

After a couple of trips in the 6x10 CT, I decided that I would not be doing any significant cooking in the trailer, and also decided that I didn't like all the going in/out to get stuff/put stuff away, etc. So, I tore out the counter that I had I build for the inside "kitchen," built a lightweight insulated wall with a nice framed and screened window, relocated the sink and all kitchen storage stuff to the rear of the trailer.

In doing this process, I realized that trying to put kitchen in such a small trailer takes up a lot of the best "real estate" inside. Not quite done with it yet, but I'm looking forward to trying the new arrangement this spring. I'm going to build a lightweight PVC pipe and tarp roof to straddle the rear barn doors.
Living in the high-desert.
crumvoc
Teardrop Master

Postby CoventryKid » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:26 pm

We cook in our CT, but when it comes to bacon, fish (especially), etc., the old Coleman stove and/or propane bbq is pressed into action outside.

Our MaxxAir fan in the center of the kitchen ceiling, along with our kitchen window, gets rid of most, if not all, of the regular cooking odours and moisture. Haven't had a problem so far.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby BC Dave » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:14 am

With a CT; the kitchen setup; burner, water and electricity are the 3 biggest benefits asides a warm dry place to sleep in. I'v used both naptha Coleman stove in freezing cold weather and a one burner portable element. I don't recommend using the Coleman inside; but in a pinch with windows open and keeping a close eye on ventilation and flammables and fuel it can be done; my second ply bunk becomes my kitchen along with the kitchen countertops; but you have to be very carful; I once spilt a pot of hot water that ended up everywhere and on my jeans; lots of %#$# and jumping around inside a 6x10; it would have been funny to listen too from the outside but no fun participating. I only cook inside when the weather doesn't permit and also have a fold out 10x10 camping awning amd 2x3 ft solid fold out table that helps with rain and morning dew; best 100 spent. previous posts and examples are creative and practical examples form the best chiming in from what I've seen here.

Cheers All! :applause:

:beer:
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby CoventryKid » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:24 pm

MtnDon: It was timely that your thread was updated as I had just started looking for the aluminum brackets to attach a folding table outside of the side door of our CT like you had done a couple of pages back.

I wondered, if I was going to make a folding table for outside the rig, where I could store it? Then it dawned on me - I might as well put it on the blank wall opposite the kitchen counter inside and use it as extra counter space when needed. So I ordered 2 from Amazon.ca.

Therein lies my dilemma: My wife wants it to look nice even when it is hanging on the wall, not being used.

I also would like something that will stand up to the elements and Coleman stove outside.

I contacted a Corian counter place today. A simple piece of Corian needs to be cleaned up and polished, etc., and what I was looking at was just the piece of Corian - no edging of any sort. Then I got to thinking of the look of this thin (maybe 5/8" thick or so) hanging on the wall. I figured it should at least have a proper edge all around to hide the plywood backing, etc.

Then there's the issue of weight. I'm not overly concerned about a small (16"x21") piece of Corian, but I wonder what else might look good and might possibly be cheaper.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has done something like MtnDon. What did you use? Has it held up? What else did you consider, etc., etc.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolfscout » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:39 am

When I have shore power or need to use my inverter to cook, I use a Nesco 1500w induction burner.
http://www.amazon.com/Excellent-Quality ... urner+1500
The wife really likes it and is wanting a second one for when you need more than one burner. THey work well, easy clean up and two can fit in a drawer when not in use. a definite plus.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions