Sketches of Hootenanny II 6x10 Cargo Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Sketches of Hootenanny II 6x10 Cargo Conversion

Postby hausfrau60 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:52 pm

My son just finished the initial 3d version of our cargo conversion. Doesn't have the doors or windows put on yet or the interior cabinetry, but the general ideas are there and I think he did a great job! I'm making a list of what I want the trailer manufacturer to include when we order it next week. Anything over my budget will have to be done over the winter, little by little. But I hope to get the majority of the structural stuff done before it hits the garage, with just the interior work left.

hausfrau60
Teardrop Builder

Nice rendering!

Postby Cody Pendant » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:22 am

Nice rendering job.
I am assuming double cargo type doors at the galley?
You might be able to French cleat a couple of counters to them after you open them up for more usable space.
Old cowboy proverb: Your wife�s heart is like a campfire. If you don't tend to it regularly, it will go cold.
Cody Pendant
Teardrop Inspector

Postby digimark » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:13 am

Wow, interesting vision. I didn't think to ask the factory to install side doors on both sides of the 6x10 Pace Cargo sport trailer we had built -- that would have been a good idea.

(Adding that to the list for next time... check.)

I'm not sure there's going to be the room on the tongue that you envision -- on mine there would be barely enough room for a tongue box and/or propane tank mount. I ordered the factory-mount spare tire and Pace mounted it in the middle of the tongue with welded box beams thereby killing all the available space. And structurally the side windows might need a larger space between them and the doors to work.

Do you think you might have a refrig, or are you thinking large cooler? If cooler, you might need to leave a space for it to slide into the galley.

That's a big sink you have there. If you were to move it to one side, it would maximize the counter space available for prep work, or a camp stove, or a microwave...

Welcome to the CTCers!
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby hausfrau60 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:20 am

Yes, there will be two rear doors. We're ordering a longer tongue, but I'm not sure yet how everything will fit. If we can get all that on there, that would be the plan. I would like to see the spare mounted in the front as shown.

The kitchen will have a Camp Chef Stove/oven on a slider on the left where I'm having a propane stub line installed underneath from the tongue area where the tank will be mounted. A 15 gallon water tank mounted below, a gravity-fill and city water inlet on the back side (just like the tent trailer had). The sink is 17" wide by 22" long and 5" deep. On the right will be another slide-out for a large cooler. And, yes, some kind of fold-down counter situation on both doors. If I can figure how to do it, I'd like to add a portable on-demand water heater (Camp Chef Triton Hot Water on Demand). They're also installing the 110 system and 12 volt. I'm fuzzy on what to ask for there (just want lights, a ceiling fan, and a couple of plug-ins in the cabin for radio, fan, heater, cell-phone chargers, etc.). In the galley, I'd like to see a couple of plug-ins for coffee pot, toaster, etc.). They're also insulating walls, ceiling, and floor.

Any help with these details would be very appreciated. One thing I was worried about was the weight of the kitchen on the back. We're having stab jacks installed on all four corners, but if the cabin is empty, will the long tongue with propane tank and battery be enough to prevent it from tipping back? It seems like the placement of the axle would prevent that, but I want to be sure.
hausfrau60
Teardrop Builder

Postby hausfrau60 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:31 am

I'd also like to mention I'm ordering this trailer to fit in our garage, which has a curved opening that is 7' at it's highest point, and 6.5' on the edge at the 6' wide point. Most of the ready-made trailers are at least 6" too tall to fit.
hausfrau60
Teardrop Builder

Postby digimark » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:34 am

If you can swing it, add more 110V outlets then you think you'll need. Quad outlets are good too. Put one in the mechanical area where your batteries will be, so you can plug in the 12V converter/battery charger, etc.

I had three dual outlets put inside my trailer and a GFCI outlet outside the door, and I'm already using power strips to hook up multiple things.

I spent a lot to have the trailer chopped to fit into my garage (81" MAX) and there were trade offs as a result. I wonder if it wouldn't have been more effective to pay to have a larger garage door installed...

:twisted:
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby hausfrau60 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:06 am

Thanks for the suggestions. Out of curiosity, what are you needing to hook up to 110? The tent trailer we had only ran the water pump, lights, and furnace fan on batteries. When we weren't hooked up to shore power, none of the plugs worked, so we did without. The only thing I missed about that was being able to dry my hair.

I can see myself needing outlets in the galley for the water pump, toaster oven, and Koolatron fridge (won't use the 12v for that because I'm afraid it will suck the battery dry; it will work as a regular ice box if we're drydocking). If we're drydocking, only the water pump and lights will need to run off the battery. I'm even debating on the water pump; might go with the Coleman Hot Water on Demand unit that has it's own pump to draw water from a 15-gallon tank in the area between the galley and cabin. This would eliminate the need to install a water tank under the trailer. Save a few there.

In the cabin, there will be two switches for lights, and a couple more outlets for chargers, a standalone fan, maybe a radio. I forgot about installing a plug-in outside, so thanks for that suggestion!

Are you concerned about condensation at all in the trailer? I'm having a fan/vent installed in the ceiling and hope that will help, along with the windows. The heater will probably be just the warming blanket and a few minutes of Mr. Heater portable Big Buddy blasted inside before retiring. (Most of the time, that guy will be in the covered area outside if it's cold).

Still designing ... any more suggestions?
hausfrau60
Teardrop Builder

Hello from the rv.net forum!

Postby WTW » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:18 pm

Thanks for this web site! I looked on your profile from the rv.net, seems your coming from a pop up, are you done with the pop up camping?. I am looking to leave my HTT, for a Cargo trailer. I am looking to start by using the Cargo trailer for a storage to carry all the tent (family of 4), bikes, fire wood, cots, A/C etc...So we are not much into ruffing it...I will be taking it slow to do it right and save some money. I have my eye on a 6 X 12 CT. What are your plans for the inside? Sleeping, etc....I too wish to do a rear cook/kitchen, but may onley make it 3/4 feet wide, thus being able to enter from the rear also? We camp at alot of State Parks with electric hook up, thus we will have some 110v plugs in the CT, Why ceramic heaters, tv, crook pot, refridge, etc.....Thanks again for this site and thanks for the insite you are sharing with your build. Tomm
WTW
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hausfrau60 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:21 am

Yes, I just sold my tent trailer. It just wasn't right for us. I loved being out of the tent, but the kitchen setup was difficult for me. Didn't like cooking inside the trailer (too confined, separated from the rest of the group, lingering food odors) and so tried setting up an outdoor kitchen. That was awkward with the in-out-in-out of grabbing things from the fridge and drawers inside the trailer. Also, the clutter really bugged me (not only a messy outside kitchen setup, but everybody's stuff scattered all over the trailer). The boys didn't like crawling over the u-shaped couch to get into their bunk bed, and it was awkward for my husband and I to crawl in and out of ours. The stove was very heavy, and had to be hauled outside on arrival, and put away on departure. The inside of the trailer lacked storage, and was too small to store all of the camping gear we bring (chairs, awning, rafts, fishing gear, sleeping bags, etc.). Also, my back was sore all summer, and I really think it was because of the many times I had to set up and tear down the trailer setup (it had two king pull-out bunk ends, and then all of the outdoor kitchen stuff really was difficult for me and it was a two-hour process just getting the campsite set up).

So I started doing some research and found that a kitchen set up to be accessible from outside was better for me. It needed to be big enough to store all my supplies, including food, and easy to close up for the night (to avoid critters). Not having to sleep in a tent would be ideal (though my teenage sons are fine in a tent) as long it was big enough for me and my 6'4" husband, and having plenty of storage for all the gear was paramount. Then there was the issue of being able to fit it in the garage and be towed by the mini-van (6 cyl.). That is what led me to teardrop trailers (too small) and ultimately to the cargo conversion option.

So here I am, getting ready to order the 6x10 trailer with as many factory installed options as I can afford, and then spend the winter finishing it out.

If you're getting ready to do the same, this is a great site to help you sort out your ideas and get plenty of answers. Welcome!
hausfrau60
Teardrop Builder

Postby devigata » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:57 pm

We camped this weekend and set-up/break-down was less than 10 minutes each (not including the firewood). I love camping with our cargo trailer!

The only drawback we have is that it's a ramp door, so any wind is a detriment to cooking on the stove. It's okay, though, because I'd rather cook over the campfire anyway. I think that barn doors would be able to block the wind a bit.

That microwave is making me lazy though - heat up the coffee water there instead of using the coffee pot. Oh, well. We earned it!
devigata
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions