7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby flboy » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:18 am

Hader... No Problem. MERRY Christmas to all as well!

Sleepsonatoilet... nice find and good deal!.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby flboy » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:22 am

Raised the bed 6 inches and received the ladder. Perfecr sitting area in the back. I am going to put some LED lightning under there and make a quick disconnect for the TV mount so I can watch it in bed as is or move down for viewing from the sitting area.

Also getting the mount set for my Vulcan cruiser.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:28 am

Hey Don,
You've come a long, long ways with this trailer. I can't remember seeing you compromise on anything. I know that time is short before your trip, so a temporary respite may be in order. But in the long run I would love to see you bring your vision to reality. You are not the type to give up at the goal line. While I have yet to see a perfectly functional system other than the happyjack, Chiefairwrench's was getting pretty close. I know you can do this, I'll support you all I can. There is definitely enough grey matter available on this site to overcome this. Once we figure this thing out, we'll have the recipe for others to follow. I don't see this issue going away as lots of people want the lifting bed. I surely understand if you need a break, you have earned it.
If I could just get a little info on rev. A, it would give me something to ponder. First of all, explain how the struts work ie.
resistance pulling out, or pushing in, or both? Where did you have them located, above or under? How many 2 or 4 and where in ref to slides. Is there a spring component to these struts? Or just dampening. What are your feelings on air actuated system? The amount of preferred travel, best case? Like 2.5-3ft?
Sorry to pump you for info at this time, you can tell me to step off. I won't take it personal. Just know I'm here to help if possible.
On a different note, Merry Christmas, Don. I hope you enjoy your time with your lovely bride and your family and friends.
God has blessed us in so many ways. It's hard to imagine a better life than we have had. I hope the New Year brings you all the love and prosperity and success and peace you could want for.
Get with me when you are ready.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby sleepsontoilet » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:41 am

flboy wrote:Sleepsonatoilet... nice find and good deal!.

Don't worry, I'll be bugging you about solar soon enough...

The one I had was just too awkwardly shaped to go under the dinette I'm wanting at 59.5"X18"X10.25"

sleepsontoilet
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:34 pm

I'm using the same size springs as my double for the queen. I thought they'd be to light now I'm thinking I need lighter. I'm thinking because my tracks are 4' in mine and 5' in Tandempair's it makes the angle of the cable work against the spring. My friends stopped by a few minutes ago to exchange Christmas gifts. I had them both out in the trailer trying to lower it to stops. It's not going to happen! So back to thinking on it!
I'm get a pic on my thread soon.
I do like how I made the stops for their bed. So I'm modifying mine. That will mean mine will not use the lowest setting but I've found I actually like the next setting better. I can sit on my couch and watch my little TV, with the bed in that down position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby msnglinc » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:55 pm

I will be doing something similar but plan to use garage door tracks and wheels. The clearance is greater and shouldn't cause the binding you are getting. I will need to have my bed all the way to the ceiling while carrying the toys. It will then get dropped down to about 2 foot off the floor while in use. I will be using 1x2 square tubing for the frame with a thin plywood sheet then a foam mattress.
7 x 26 Cargo Craft V Nose
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=63350
msnglinc
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:11 pm

I thought about garage door tracks, but the shafts and wheels seemed like the bed and associated weight might leverage them and bend things
My wife and I both tried the bed with the full load on the trolleys and track. It is super solid. It just needs a balanced lift I think.

Last edited by flboy on Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby flboy » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:15 pm

Cleaned up the streetbike. I've not ridden it in a month or so.. but I need to get it in the back of the trailer to size up where I need to install the front wheel chock. I am taking it with me to SC for New Years. Will be camping a few days at a hunting camp and going on a few group rides with my brothers and ladies.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:53 pm

msnglinc wrote:I will be doing something similar but plan to use garage door tracks and wheels. The clearance is greater and shouldn't cause the binding you are getting. I will need to have my bed all the way to the ceiling while carrying the toys. It will then get dropped down to about 2 foot off the floor while in use. I will be using 1x2 square tubing for the frame with a thin plywood sheet then a foam mattress.

I had a guy design a garage door track bed. But we weren't on the same page, I wanted my tracks as flush as possible. His plan called for them to be mounted just like using for a garage door. Not only not what I wanted but also not do able as my tracks had to be mounted on my trailers "studs" or frame up rights.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:24 pm

flboy wrote:Cleaned up the streetbike. I've not ridden it in a month or so.. but I need to get it in the back of the trailer to size up where I need to install the front wheel chock. I am taking it with me to SC for New Years. Will be camping a few days at a hunting camp and going on a few group rides with my brothers and ladies.

Your so luck to be able to ride all 12 months. It's been a month since I rode mine, it will be about 3-4 more too. But I've got some work and change's to work on. I also offered to buy 2 old broke down XR's. One is in boxes with parts missing and the other is mostly together with parts missing. They countered way to high, and said all one need was head work. So I said fix it and I'll buy it.. It's my bosses family so he said he'd talk to them over the holidays because he thinks my offer was fair.
Enough about bikes.
My loft bed I'm happy with but as always I like to tinker. So I'd like struts. My boss said he'd help but we've been to busy.
For one person, my loft bed design is do able. As I'm one person It's much easier with 2 people. The springs help lift, but then you have to work against them to lower. I mentioned liking how I made stops for the queen. On mine the cables go around 5/16 carriage bolts. Those bolts hold most all the weight. NOT enough when down and sleeping in the bed. So On the queen I used the short angle brackets and added a block of wood to the bed frame in tandem's. I'm going to mod mine the same way. I did go out to take pics but, to gloomy out so to dark in trailer. The queen travels freely up and down, but stops about 10" or so from the actual down position we planned on. Springs still have almost 20" of "travel" available but with 2 strong adults you can't forces it to the stops. It should have some resistance but not that much. I don't think tandempair or 2 people, really need the springs with the track system. They've insisted on them, so I'm trying.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:38 pm

Thanks Padelin. Appreciate the info. When you can take some pics, that would be nice. I may go the cable route if I can't get an even lift with the gas struts.. If I go cable however, I think I am going to buy an electric winch instead of a spring. Then I can raise and lower it with a button.

For now, I am going to use as is... will worry about that in January. Merry Christmas! Good luck with the XR.. Hopefully they will come down on the price.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:44 am

flboy wrote:Thanks McDave.

Well,I have the bed built, but I have problems. The bed does go up, but it has to go up very evenly in all four corners or it will bind. The gas struts were too strong (100lbs each) and I bent one bringing the bed down. I am going to try 50lb. struts to see if that works better.

Do you think it would bind less if your trolleys had only one set of bearings instead of two? Oh, Merry Christmas everyone!
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby McDave » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:10 am

msnglinc wrote:I will be doing something similar but plan to use garage door tracks and wheels. The clearance is greater and shouldn't cause the binding you are getting. I will need to have my bed all the way to the ceiling while carrying the toys. It will then get dropped down to about 2 foot off the floor while in use. I will be using 1x2 square tubing for the frame with a thin plywood sheet then a foam mattress.

I have always been a fan of the wide tolerance, low precision approach. Certainly with prototypes. As you flush out the
minor issues control gets a little tighter, and a little cleaner. Sometimes just a success, even an ugly one can spur the creative and problem solving process. But even the lesser successful efforts are valuable learning and data gathering exercises. If you can't go around it, and you can't get over it, sometimes to get there, you just gotta go through it.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:32 am

Loading up for SC and getting the Streetbike chocks in place. The Vulcan fits like a glove and I can use the dinette and bed without having to unload. I actually have room for the KTM also, but I can't think of too many situations where I'd haul both at the same time. I am really happy with the overall floor plan design for this size 18' vnose. My goal of full self containment and use without unloading for ovenight stops has been met.

So today I'll bolt down the chocks and finish the back trim on the bed and just enjoy this for a bit. I do have some Led lighting to put under the bed. It arrives tomorrow and the wiring is already there.. so that will be quick

I hope you all had a great Christmas yesterday and I wish you a Happy New Year in 2017! Image

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:36 pm

flboy, Howdy;

Don, looks like you've met both your goals and your deadline. :thumbsup: , :thumbsup: .

Now ya just need to tidy up the last few bits and enjoy. Congratulations, job well done.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions