Stealth conversion camper

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Stealth conversion camper

Postby john » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:24 am

Here is an ebay auction for a conversion. It is not mine. I just thought it may have some ideas for some of you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Under-the-Radar-Camping-trailer_W0QQitemZ260530831888QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRVs_Campers?hash=item3ca8d90210
Last edited by john on Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby Prem » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:53 am

It says "Prototype," so it's probably somebody's fishing expedition/market research to see if there is any demand for such a trailer.

My guess is that there is little to none in this economy.

The seller has been surfing this forum don't you think?

Prem :roll:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby dwgriff1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:04 am

It looks like a gold mine of ideas in a quality conversion. I'd like to see more pictures and a floor plan.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby john » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:25 am

I am having a lot of difficulty divining just what the floor plan is due to all the mirrors. Just when I think they are helping me out, I am lost again....

I think there is a dresser at the front with three mirrors above it that follow the curve of the front of the trailer.

Two bunk beds (on driver's side) seem to be across from the entry door (on pass. side) and the top bed, I believe can be folded against the side. I don't see a third bed for a third adult.

Next to the entry door is the "kitchen" and at the back of the trailer is the bathroom.

The lack of windows opens up a lot of space to be used by all the stuff in the trailer.
Build I -- Scenic ---
Goto the Tear Build file

viewtopic.php?t=29603

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby Gonefishin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:12 am

Looks a little "busy" inside for me, especially for only a 10-footer. Not much "living" space or room to move around. Maybe that's just me though. Looks spiffy, but overdone.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Prem » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:18 pm

Gonefishin wrote:
Looks a little "busy" inside for me, especially for only a 10-footer. Not much "living" space or room to move around.

Yes. It's just like what most RV manufacturers do (especially RoadTrek). Their operating paradigm is "More will sell better." They stuff the vehicle with all the amenities of home, except many of us are trying to get away from home and get a bit rustic and simpler. The wide open spaces are refreshing, outdoors and indoors.

That house-crammed-into-a-box could use a big skylight.

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby john » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Gonefishin wrote:Looks a little "busy" inside for me, especially for only a 10-footer. Not much "living" space or room to move around. Maybe that's just me though. Looks spiffy, but overdone.

Yea, I agree, but there are some ideas that I like.

Then there are the others like R-pod that are very open inside, but have no storage.

I think the older campers like the Shastas and Scottys hit the middle ground much better than today's examples.
Build I -- Scenic ---
Goto the Tear Build file

viewtopic.php?t=29603

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby Prem » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:22 pm

I think the older campers like the Shastas and Scottys hit the middle ground much better than today's examples.

A replica, your next build?

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:26 pm

Prem wrote:
They stuff the vehicle with all the amenities of home, except many of us are trying to get away from home and get a bit rustic and simpler.

Yup! It does look nice on the inside, though. The outside looks like a cargo trailer...nothing special.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby digimark » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:25 pm

It looks nice, but if its typical RV build...

If the concept is supposed to be "under the radar" or not standing out in a given area, the lack of doors on the back would give it away. I'd think they'd be better served making it 6'x12' instead of 6'x10' and putting the doors back, using the last 2' for storage.

Is there an advantage of having a marine toilet instead of a porta-potty? That one confuses me.

I don't think there is any counter space either, with the stove and sink taking up the whole counter-top. It looks great, but I wonder if it wouldn't be awkward to actually use it.
Last edited by digimark on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby SirJoey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:27 pm

I absolutely LOVE it! :thumbsup:

Hard to believe it's only 2 feet longer than mine! Wish I could do that kind of quality work.
If I had the money, I'd pay someone to do a job like that on my little 8 footer!

My personal preference is to have it as feature-packed & comfortable as possible,
no matter how tight the remaining space, but that's just me. YMMV.

One thing's certain, it's not really all that "stealthy", is it? With vents all over the driver's
side, a window on the passenger's side, no rear doors, & a propane bottle on the tongue,
there's something to give it away on every side.

It might be "stealthy" in the middle of a moonless NIGHT... :laughter:
When all is said & done...
a lot more gets SAID than DONE!
SirJoey
Teardrop Master

Postby sledmods » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:27 pm

I've met with this company a number of times when I had m 4x4 van. They do some nice work and can do just about anything. I wanted to make a completely removable kitchen. If you can dream it they will build it. Price was reasonable from what I remember. Probably not reasonable for a DIYer but when I compared it to other places it was much cheaper.
sledmods
Teardrop Inspector

Postby edcasey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:56 pm

I have a customer with a Sprinter Van Conversion built by that company. It's one of the best built conversions I've seen. All their stuff is custom. They did a great job with this cargo trailer conversion. I don't like the mirrors. They fit in almost everything you need to make a camper very marketable in just a 10' camper. It's very difficult to sell a stripped down camper even if it's a popup trailer. Take out the shower, toilet, heat, and refrigerator and it will just sit on the lot until you all but give it away. I've been there many times.

It certainly is a failure as a stealth camper. The marketing concept is way off. There should be almost nothing on the exterior giving away it's a camper. I've seen several with ladder racks added just to blend in.

Here's another cargo conversion they did.
http://photo.vanture.com/Vanture-Prototype-Slightly-Modified-and-Gone-to-A-New-Home
Last edited by edcasey on Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby edcasey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:10 pm

Prem wrote:
Yes. It's just like what most RV manufacturers do (especially RoadTrek). Their operating paradigm is "More will sell better." They stuff the vehicle with all the amenities of home, except many of us are trying to get away from home and get a bit rustic and simpler. The wide open spaces are refreshing, outdoors and indoors.

That house-crammed-into-a-box could use a big skylight.

Prem

Well...if that was Roadtreks philosophy it certainly worked. In the late 90's I had many customers wait nearly a year for their new Roadtreks to come in because the manufacturer couldn't keep up with demand. Even when you stock them during the winter, they don't last long on the lot. Roadtrek has even survived recent hard times when many of the largest motorhome manufacturers have gone out of business. Used Roadtreks taken in trade are gold mines. People love those things despite their high price.
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:14 am

EdCasey,

Yup. Some RV buyers love their RoadTreks. The mystique is considerable. The sardine can effect is also.

I started with van conversion RVs. Now, less is more. EIght RVs later, I am :) with what I have. (And it seems that most others on this forum are also--beyond just the joy/satisfaction of DIY.)

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions