How a cargo trailer is constructed.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

How a cargo trailer is constructed.

Postby edcasey » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:08 pm

This thread, in the link below, is an excellent opportunity to see the structure of a cargo trailer. Unfortunately, it might bring a tear to a few peoples eyes. :cry: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34786
Last edited by edcasey on Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby BC Dave » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:43 am

Waow!

Amazing what this guy has done with a welding tourch! :lol:
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby NathanL » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:45 am

I think he could have sold the cargo trailer and bought a new utility trailer and been money ahead - by a good bit.
NathanL
The 300 Club

Postby waterboybueche » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:17 am

what an idiot....

He could had saved alot of time and money by selling the enclosed and purchasing a used flat trailer....

PLUS, he had to haul all the old sheetmetal and studs to the dump and pay them too!!!!

He has the right to do what he wants with his stuff, but, it makes me cringe....
waterboybueche
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:57 am

He has a really nice shop built into his garage. ...Gotta admire his welding skills.

It looks like that fellow knew what he was doing and got exactly what he wanted in the end. (Final build and camp set-up is on page 10.) Take note of the grubb box that he built, too.

Thanks for the enlightenment. :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

He's NUTS!

Postby eamarquardt » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:31 am

He scrapped the entire body and is going to scrap the axle (If I read correctly).

So, essentially he'll end up using only the frame. He could have built what he had left for a couple of hundred bucks worth of steel and I don't think it would have been that much more work than disassembling the trailer he ruined.

I dunno what the trailer was worth before he cut it apart but it had to be worth more than the cost of the steel he salvaged. I'd have given him a thousand for it.

I agree he has a nice shop and does nice work but he's still NUTS unless there is something he's not sharing with us (like the trailer was hot and couldn't be used as is as it might be recognized, ha).

He must have a phobia about going to the DMV to get a title. Here in Ca. it's not tough just takes an hour or two.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby edcasey » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:51 am

When I first found that thread, I thought he was building an off-road CTC. That would have been very interesting with his skills as a fabricator. Scrolling down to the picture where the skin is partially removed I was shocked. I do wonder about the economics of the project as a used trailer frame can easily be bought for a couple hundred dollars or so (at least in my area) and the cargo trailer would be worth over a thousand. But in the end he built a beautifully done off-road trailer with a roof top tent. A nice trailer for off-road use.

edcasey
Teardrop Master

Postby Rickxr2 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:01 pm

Sometimes we take the long way around just for the journey, sometimes by accident. That's a lot of trouble just to get to a bare bones frame! It is impressive though.
Image Image Image
Rickxr2
The 300 Club

Postby starleen2 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:29 pm

You'd be surpried what one would do to constuct something new

to this

starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:58 pm

edcasey wrote:When I first found that thread, I thought he was building an off-road CTC. That would have been very interesting with his skills as a fabricator. Scrolling down to the picture where the skin is partially removed I was shocked. I do wonder about the economics of the project as a used trailer frame can easily be bought for a couple hundred dollars or so (at least in my area) and the cargo trailer would be worth over a thousand. But in the end he built a beautifully done off-road trailer with a roof top tent. A nice trailer for off-road use.

Yup! Not what I would have done, but I ain't him! If I had his welding skill, there's LOTS of things I would do that I don't do now! :applause:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Prem » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:39 am

edcasey,

Good find.:thumbsup: Interesting to see how little structure the factory used on the front end of that cargo trailer, just one stamped curved piece of steel laid horizontally half way up the front wall and no uprights.

I guess it was the trailer he had, so he cannibalized it to get what he wanted. He did get a good, solid chassis. (I would have kept the torsion axle and just lifted it.)

I admire his work.

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby mdvaden » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:41 pm

Sell for six to eight hundred? I could probably sell that for double that much even used. Title would be no problem. Sign and let the buyer take care of the sold item.

Then for a utility trailer, I don't even recall a light utility trailer needed a license. Maybe. Even so, how long would it take, an hour at the motor vehicles office? Seems a lot longer to dismantle than any time to buy a title if even needed.

My guess is that the project came out behind in money and time.

Georgia doesn't have any weird utility trailer laws does it.

My guess it that he is someone who just enjoys his shop and the supply warehouse and the rest is not big deal. I like the look of his finished trailer.
mdvaden
Teardrop Master

Postby SteveB » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:45 pm

I agree, just a guy that likes the process. Why do it that way? Because he can.

That is what is cool about the hobby. :applause:
SteveB
Teardrop Advisor

Postby synaps3 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:15 am

Hmm... I live a couple of miles from him. I wonder if he still has his axle..?

A cargo trailer like that goes for over $1000 in Atlanta. I don't know what he was thinking either -- he was probably just taking the quickest route he could. If you look at the build log, it took him no time at all to build!
-- Dave

Build log: here
synaps3
The 300 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions