Test Camping

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Test Camping

Postby WildTexan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:59 am

This weekend I took a little one night test camping trip. The campsite was only about 5 blocks from my house. I got there just as the sun was setting. Setup was a lot quicker than I thought it would be. I'm used to 20-30 minute setup with my big travel trailer or with my tent setup. I was finished in about 2 minutes. Just lift the galley lid and...viola. The wife came out for about an hour and delivered my pizza for dinner. I know, I know...pizza? I was gonna cook, but I already know how to do that. The point was to test the T.E.A.R. After eating my wife left me to myself. I thought I was pretty lucky and got a sit back in the trees. Not the case. There was ZERO wind. I should've gotten a site on the lake side of the road where there was a breeze. I climbed in and tried to go to sleep. I checked the temp. at midnight. It was still 91 degrees. What was I thinking coming out here in this heat? I thought hard about going home, but I couldn't let my wife tell me "told ya so", so I sweated it out the rest of the night. At 7:30 the next morning I was already packed and headed home. I need a re-do test trip.
WildTexan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby honeask » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:06 pm

OK, I'm guessing....no AC? We don't have our tear as yet but I think as hard as it would be I would wait at least until late September to try it out but then again I might not be able to wait. Bravo to you for toughing it out. I can't wait for the LCG event on Halloween weekend, it's gotta be cooler by then.....right?
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Postby WildTexan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:22 pm

Gosh, I hope its cooler by then. I'm only testing it out cause we are leaving for Colorado in 2 weeks. I rather something fall apart close to home.
WildTexan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby honeask » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:21 pm

I totally understand. Otherwise, was it what you thought it would be?
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:28 pm

Air movement!!!

Either a vent fan, or a battery operated Coleman fan would have helped!

Hope you have better luck on your 2nd outing!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:09 pm

Geez man.....good thing you did not go home. Women have total recall. She would have been telling that story at your 50th Wedding Anniversary party.

Good luck on your next test...(don't forget a fan)
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby madjack » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:18 pm

...glad you survived...you can get battery powered fans by O2Cool from Walmart for under 20bux...they are lifesavers!!!!!!!!!!
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:34 am

My "test camping" trip was in a pouring rainstorm in February. I learned a lot of lessons. :shock:

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby WildTexan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:49 am

The tear has a fantastic fan, but it just wasn't doing the trick. There was way more air flow when I exhausted it rather than having it blow in. There has got to be a better way. Gonna try again this weekend.
WildTexan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Kathy53 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:16 am

Some thing like this might work at night.

http://www.dreamproductscatalog.com/hou ... ifier.html

http://www.priceforsure.com/products.ph ... tId=442245

I once use this (I had also froze the water bottle used in it.) in a tent that was set up under a shady tree. It was around 97 to 99 degrees outside. (Dry heat) Took a nap and woke up chilly.

Not sure how well it would work in the teardrop.
Kathy53
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:32 am

Ya gotta have some place for the air to go, i.e. an open window/door with screens. The Fantastic fan should be enough to blow the doors off. Our two computer case fans (about 100 CFM on low) is sufficient for a large volume tear with both windows open a bit.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:34 am

Got two things for you:

1. open windows and exhaust setting pulls lots more air in than the fan setting for pulling air in from the top. The literature thatvcame with mine even says it lol.

2. Your in Texas in August! Hook up a small a/c even if you have to do what I did on my first outing and cut plywood piece to fit the door opening andu mounted the act to it. Froze me out but slept fine.

Enjoy your trip and its even hot in Colorado right now.
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jerry101jlh » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:58 am

Look up the Climate Right units. May be somewhat spendy for some, but an easy way to go with little modification. We have a window shaker unit installed and works great, even in Texas, but takes up valuable interior space that having a Climate Right unit would solve.

http://www.climaterightair.com/
jerry101jlh
Teardrop Master

Postby Kathy53 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:22 am

This one is larger than the Kool-Down Air Cooler. Maybe it would work with out having to spend alot of money.

http://www.amazon.com/Unistar-DF158-Mul ... 23&sr=8-19

There is also the Swampy More expensive.

http://www.swampy.net/hprices.html

These ideas will only work if Texas has a dry heat. If Texas is humid it will not work.
Kathy53
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:48 am

5000 btu window shakers will be clearanced out in about 3 weeks or so for $65 +/- in our area. I am wanting a reversable dual blade window fan for my 4x7 they are almost $60.00 now so I will wait the 3 - 4 weeks and they will go on clearance also for about 1/2 off. :D
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Next

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales