Calif. State Park Closure Mess -Finance Audit & Resolution

That area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. (Ask Dean!) Includes Jefferson State Tearjerkers

Re: California State Park Closures

Postby S. Heisley » Wed May 09, 2012 9:29 pm

Knowing that many communities have stepped up to the plate to try to save their nearby state parks, I checked for information. Currently, it appears that about half (35) of them will be saved.

Here is the latest that I have been able to find:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/712/files ... pen%20.pdf

Interestingly enough, in the midst of park closures, a new CA park and campground opened last summer: Little Basin at 21700 Little Basin Road, Boulder Creek, CA. The news release for that can be found here:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/712/files ... 0final.pdf

GuitarPhotog, you will be happy to note that Bale Grist Mill State Historic Park and Bothe-Napa Valley State Park have been saved by local Napa Valley groups and are expected to remain open for at least the next 5 years. Here's the information on that:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/712/files ... agree2.pdf

As the fiscal year-end draws nearer, let's hope that more organizations will volunteer to take over operation of these various threatened parks.

Let this posting also serve as a reminder that if you are planning to camp at a state park this year, please check the status of that park before you finalize those plans.
For California, look here:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/parkindex/?tab=1
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed May 09, 2012 10:50 pm

GuitarPhotog, you will be happy to note that Bale Grist Mill State Historic Park and Bothe-Napa Valley State Park have been saved by local Napa Valley groups and are expected to remain open for at least the next 5 years. Here's the information on that:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/712/files ... agree2.pdf

Cool, thanks Sharon that's good to hear.

While heading north out of the gathering, I noticed that Castle Crags SP is closed. Seems like they didn't reopen after winter?

And thanks for the info about Little Basin, I'll check that out.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:05 am

Some good news from our end of the state... Grizzley Creek, which was on the closure list has been spared.
Swimmers Delight/Pamplin Grove Ranger Pat will be adding Grizzley Creek to his list of county duties.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby jhb » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:49 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Some good news from our end of the state... Grizzley Creek, which was on the closure list has been spared.
Swimmers Delight/Pamplin Grove Ranger Pat will be adding Grizzley Creek to his list of county duties.

For the most part, I think those of us with great local state parks will come out of this Ok, and it might turn out for the better with local folk being more directly involved in running them. More community involvement is great.

Around here two of the local Mormon churches have been going to their closest count park and volunteering for cleanup, repairing, etc. I noticed an article in the paper about it and decided to camp at one of the parks over Memorial Day, the camp looked great! Now I need to get out there...

As more and more of us do this, well, taking government back into our own hands, isn't that what democracy is all about? :thumbsup: :applause:
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:41 pm

Down to the wire and nearly enough local groups have stepped in to save almost all of our California state parks:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/2 ... 38409.html

But, the saving of those parks will be a year-by-year nail-biter, with the recession lapping at the budgets of many.
The days and hours of operation are still an issue as the parks are expected to be open less than before, as well.

Remember to check availability before you plan your camping trips.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:09 pm

The California State Parks audit and resolutions document overview (27 pages) has been published and can be found here:

http://www.dof.ca.gov/osae/audit_report ... ditWEB.pdf

The following, excerpted from the above, is what was found and resolved:

Governance
In recent years, a structural budget deficit existed in California. The deficit required a number of budget solutions to reduce state general fund expenditures to develop a balanced budget. Among these solutions was a proposal to close as many as 70 state parks. Extensive efforts, including the solicitation of donations, were undertaken by various groups to save California parks slated for closure. Despite the proposal to close a number of state parks and the related widespread news media attention, Parks continued to under-report fund balances to Finance for the development of the Governor’s Budgets over several years. Additionally, Parks implemented an unauthorized vacation buy-back program in 2011 allowing employees to “cash in” their accrued vacation hours. This resulted in employees cumulatively receiving $269,413 (from the SPRF). Parks implemented this vacation buy-back program at the time furloughs had been imposed on state employees and state parks risked closure. Because of the unauthorized vacation buy-back program and misreporting of fund balances, the Parks Director resigned and top executive staff were discharged from employment for allowing such improper activities to occur. Concerns were raised about the “tone at the top” and whether other improprieties had occurred. The former Deputy Director of the Administrative Services Division was responsible for the unauthorized vacation buy-back program and misreporting of fund balances as well as other critical business functions, such as accounting and procurement.

Summary of Budget Letter 12-22 Requirements
• Departments shall use their year-end financial statements as the basis for preparation of budget documents for the Governor’s Budget.
• Unless otherwise specified in law, the General Fund and special funds are accounted for and maintained on a modified accrual basis.
• Finance designates an administering department for each fund. The administering department is responsible for the overall management of the fund. BL 12-22 outlines the responsibilities of a fund administrator.
• Beginning with fiscal year 2012-13, each department head or his/her designee (who must be at least one level above both budgeting and accounting) is required to certify the following:
....o Past/prior year information provided to Finance is accurate and reconciles between budget accounting records.
....o Information is consistent with information provided to the Controller.

Source: http://www.dof.ca.gov
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Calif. State Park Closure Mess -Finance Audit & Resoluti

Postby atahoekid » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:12 am

Sharon,

Sorry I'm just catching up to this thread but now that camping season is coming, I'm wondering what if any impact on the parks this "discovery" has had to the operations and closures of the parks. I love California camping and would love to travel the Cali coast from the very North to about the Ventura area. (Grew up in LA so I've done the coast from LA to SD) Are the campgrounds open full time? I would guess that they are fully operation during the peak summer months but may close early or severely restrict operations during the "shoulder" months.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Calif. State Park Closure Mess -Finance Audit & Resoluti

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:33 am

atahoekid wrote:Sharon,

Sorry I'm just catching up to this thread but now that camping season is coming, I'm wondering what if any impact on the parks this "discovery" has had to the operations and closures of the parks. I love California camping and would love to travel the Cali coast from the very North to about the Ventura area. (Grew up in LA so I've done the coast from LA to SD) Are the campgrounds open full time? I would guess that they are fully operation during the peak summer months but may close early or severely restrict operations during the "shoulder" months.

I understand that most, if not all, are back open again. I can't vouch for their open days/hours, though.

It's always best to check on each campground that you plan to visit, especially the more popular ones along the coast, during tourist season as they fill up fast.

You can check here: http://www.parks.ca.gov/

Besides seeing to it that the fellow who either caused the problem or allowed it to happen is no longer part of the parks and recreation system, the state appears to be trying to make amends for the "snafu". For instance, private supporters of the Bidwell Mansion (a historical park in Chico that was slated to close) had worked really hard to raise enough money to keep it open for at least 2 years. The state's "olive branch" to them was to give them matching funds for every dollar they collected.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Previous

Return to Jefferson State