Norcal and So Oregon camping

That area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. (Ask Dean!) Includes Jefferson State Tearjerkers

Norcal and So Oregon camping

Postby Midget » Thu May 30, 2013 11:03 am

After we attend the Falling Tears meet in September we are looking at touring up to Crater Lake and then go over to the coast for our trip home. I was wondering if anyone had some good camping or touring spots to recommend?

Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Re: Norcal and So Oregon camping

Postby GuitarPhotog » Thu May 30, 2013 11:34 am

I'm headed for Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park, on the Calif/Ore. border this summer. It's a spectacular place for hiking and camping. No hookups, though.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby grant whipp » Thu May 30, 2013 11:43 am

Hey, Bob!

Here's a suggestion: go north on Hwy 89 to Lake Almanore and stay at the Rocky Point Campground on the west shore (very nice!) ... if the snow has been cleared around the back side of Mt.Lassen, then stay on 89 and really get to know the peak (if not, then head to Westwood and cut across to Hwy 44, then west back to the Hwy 89 junction near Old Station ... if it's been a long day by then, stay at either Cave Campgrounds right there near the junction, or venture just a few miles north on 89 to the Hat Creek Hereford Ranch RV Park (fabulous facility, friendly, and right on Hat Creek for great fishing!) ... keep going up Hwy 89 all the way to I-5 at Mt Shasta (but, be sure to swing into Burney Falls just past the junction with Hwy 299, and then the Lower McCloud River Falls near Fowlers Rest Campgrounds, a few miles east of McCloud) ... tke I-5 north to Weed, then Hwy 97 north to Klamath Falls ... a road takes off west from Hwy 97 a ways north of K-Falls that comes in the back side of Crater Lake, and there are campgrounds all along the way (I haven't been that way in years, but Fort Klamath is kind of cool, and if the Agency International Lodge is still there, stop in for some fabulous food & drink) ... take Hwy 62 down from Crater Lake and either take the road to Gold Hill and Grants Pass to Hwy 199, or go all the way into Medford, then west to Jacksonville and Ruch on 238 (I think) and take a little 15 mile side trip from Ruch up to Applegate Lake and the Hart-Tish Campgrounds and visit with Guy Mazzeo ... back to Ruch & 238, then west and follow the signs to Hwy 199, then south to the coast ... from there, you'll have way too many choices, but if you can, check out Patrick's Point just north of Trinidad, and the Seascape Restaurant on the pier in Trinidad ... if you like KOAs, then the one in Willits, CA, is a pretty nice one, but depending on how much time you have (and how much driving you want to do), I'd take off from Hwy 101 at Leggitt and take Hwy 1 as far south as you have time to (you can head back home from San Francisco, if you go that far, or from just south of Bodega Bay or Tamales or a couple of others, it just depends on how much time you have).

Sounds like you'll be having a great time no matter which way you go ... :thumbsup: ...! Enjoy yourselves, be safe, Happy Trails, and as always ...

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby MarkD » Thu May 30, 2013 11:59 am

Harris Beach in Brookings, OR is just a bit off of your course, but is a nice campground, with tide pooling and a nice beach with rocks out in the ocean.
MarkD
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Midget » Thu May 30, 2013 6:23 pm

Great ideas. Thanks

Grant, I plotted a drive last week and it follows the same general route you suggest. Thanks for the info on places to check out.

Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby nevadatear » Fri May 31, 2013 6:38 pm

And when you get to willets, be sure and ask lee how that teardrop kit he won from Grant at the Dam is coming long!
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:33 am

Along the Southern Oregon coast, Umpqua lighthouse State Beach is a nice campground and you can take a tour of the lighthouse if you wish, a bit farther south is Gold Beach. Look for Honey Bear Campground and RV Park. We've not been there but heard raves about it. We stayed at a friends' house in Gold Beach and found Gold Beach to be a great little town. Lots of small town charm and feel to it. The beaches are great for strolling.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby teartrippingusa2014 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:02 am

There are some great lake camping areas just inside of Oregon not too far off I-5. Some areas to check out would be Appleagate Lake, Lake of the Woods, Hyatt Lake, and Fish Lake. If you are coming through Ashland, OR drop us a line. My wife and I just started our first TD build and are anxious to meet other teardropers and get advice about our new addiction.
We are newbies to the teardrop world. We are building our first teardrop and we will spend next summer traveling all over the U.S.
http://teartrippingusa.blogspot.com/
teartrippingusa2014
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Jefferson State