Sport hauler

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby toecutter » Wed May 09, 2007 8:55 am

Some interesting suggestions, but the one I was kinda thinking about in looking at the various designs and reading the considerations. Why not just make your axles so they can be moved. Provided you solved the door issue, there is really no reason why not. 18 wheeler trailers have adjustable axle points, why can't TDs?
toecutter
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gerald_G » Wed May 09, 2007 10:44 am

Elumia wrote:found this

http://www.aliner.com/page72.html

Wow does this ever look a bit like the ttt I am building.

(Not to threadjack) and I like the movable axel idea too.

Gerald_G
Teardrop Master

Postby brian_bp » Wed May 09, 2007 6:51 pm

toecutter wrote:...Why not just make your axles so they can be moved. Provided you solved the door issue, there is really no reason why not. 18 wheeler trailers have adjustable axle points, why can't TDs?

The Snowbear trailers sold at Costco around here, like the Model 6000 but maybe not identical, have two axle positions. They are shipped with the axle in the rear position, and the owner can put it where they need it. To accommodate the movement, the fenders are attached the axle mounts - not directly to the frame - so they move fore and aft with the axle. I think they only did this for shipping convenience, and I doubt it's easy to move (and maybe not even possible while loaded) but it is a demonstration that it can be done.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby brian_bp » Wed May 09, 2007 6:57 pm

angib wrote:
Elumia wrote:Isn't the obvious answer to haul the ATV on the back?

Nope, it just gives you the same problems, but in reverse.

With the ATV in place at the rear, you need make sure there is an acceptable hitch weight - 10-14% of the total trailer weight is the usual recommendation.

To achieve this, the trailer wheels will have to be right at the back. I've tried some numbers in my trailer balance spreadsheet and the axle may need to be right on the back of the trailer body, with the fenders extending behind the body!

All this works - until you remove the ATV. Then you are back to having a hitch weight of 300 pounds or so, because the trailer wheels are so far back.

If you never want to move the trailer without the ATV on it, there's no problem...

Here's one way to think of this...
Lay out the trailer with a rear cargo deck.
Work out the axle position such that the tongue weight is sufficient (but no more) with the full cargo load; assume this puts the cargo load centre at least as far forward as the axle.
When towing without the cargo, the hitch weight will be almost as high as with cargo, and much higher than required. Since the hitch weight is still tolerable for the tug (it must be, because it was with cargo), just live with it. If that means half the trailer weight is on the hitch (for an extreme example), you're driving a "semi" rig (tractor and semi-trailer) - boast to your friends!
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby alloffroad » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:03 pm

I was thinking of parking my atv/dirtbike inside, like a big toyhauler, but with just enough room to fit the bike. This area would double as the sleeping area once at camp. The gally area would be at the front of the trailer with access from the side. There would be a small bathroom on the other side to counter balance. This way the trailer would balance out wheather the bike is present or not. The overall length of the railer would be about 14 feet long, including the tougue. I had thought about puting the bike sideways but a full size quad is about 7 feet long not including racks and a winch.
alloffroad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MSG Hall » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:00 am

alloffroad, did you ever get this designed?
{its Bruce to my friends}

camping and hunting knives custom made by a good friend of mine... www.sharpeknives.com/
MSG Hall
The 300 Club

Postby alloffroad » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:44 pm

The plan is still in my head. I will try to build it on a cad program and post it when I get some time.
alloffroad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Podunkfla » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:04 am

Hey silvervtx... don't I know you from VTXOA?

Anyhoo... I haul mine in the back of my Nissan pickup. A VTX is just too big and heavy to haul crosswise in front of a tear... I think. And, I have yet to see a design that I liked of any kind of hybrid tear/hauler where it fit inside? All the ones I have seen either made for an awkward bike hauler or compromised the galley too much. I have thought about it a lot... but, I sure haven't come up with a design I like so far.
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby mikeschn » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:52 am

Have you guys ever seen this one? I can't remember where I got this photo from... :?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Podunkfla » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:33 am

Yep... I've seen that one and it is exactly what I thought of as a compromise that makes both uses suffer? The bike is an amazingly tight fit that would be hard to load and unload. And, the galley isn't ideal either. I do want to say this is my own personal view and I am not in any way belittling a very creative design... It's just not for me. Putting the bike is the truck is just a simpler solution I am happy with.
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby grant whipp » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:22 pm

Podunkfla wrote:... I have yet to see a design that I liked of any kind of hybrid tear/hauler where it fit inside? All the ones I have seen either made for an awkward bike hauler or compromised the galley too much ...

Hey, Brick!

How big of a trailer are you willing to "think" about? I've designed a teardrop 'cycle hauler that's a might bigger than most (15-16'L), and if you're interested, send me an e-mail to [email protected] and I'll shoot you off a sketch.

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Podunkfla » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:34 pm

Cool Grant! I sent ya an email. :thumbsup:
<B>~ Brick
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

moveable axle

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:25 am

Here's my solution to moving the axle to achieve the right tounge weight.

Load the trailer up, move the angle iron that the spring hangers are welded to to achive the right tounge weight, drill three holes, slide the strap nut into the tube froming the side rail and bolt the assembly down. You could have different sets of holes for different configurations. Haven't decided how to mount the fenders to the axle or angle so they moves all together but that should't be tough.

Cheers,

Gsu
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Re: moveable axle

Postby grant whipp » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:13 pm

eamarquardt wrote:... Haven't decided how to mount the fenders to the axle or angle so they moves all together but that should't be tough ...

Gus!

If your axle has brake-mounting flanges behind the spindles, you can build up some fender-mounting brackets that will bolt to those flanges ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

mounting fender

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:23 pm

Hi,

Yes the axle has brake flanges (and yes I'll have brakes as after coming down the mountain with a 1200# tent trailer and couldn't stop will never tow a trailer without working brakes unless it weighs #300 or less). I want to keep the width less than 80" as by doing so you avoid having to install clearance lights. Also if less than 17 feet (as I remember) here in California you can register it once for life with no reoccurring fees (I like no annual renewal). But to keep under 80" may have to mount the fenders directly to the body. Just haven't given it that much thought yet, but I will eventually.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs