Kamp King last pics, journal is complete.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Kamp King 12/9..flooring and some paint

Postby satch » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:03 pm

Lookin' good Bro, but they always do.
And as always....I hate you 8)
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:33 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:Hey Doug.
I need to find your Nomad door build as I like the idea of a screen door. I am looking for something that I can go for about a month in most any weather which mean will be setting inside during not so great weather.
Randy

Randy...while I really enjoy my tears, late fall and early spring, it's nice to have a standy for those Memorial day camping trips and late October ones when I get snowed on. I was looking around at some RV doors....prices like $550 with no frame...ouch...I'll build my own again. The steel frame I make is great for strengthening the sides and the door is very solid. Nice "whump" when you close it...Hopefully this time, I won't have to make a career of making it, I learned a lot the first go around. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:43 pm

doug hodder wrote:
Wolffarmer wrote:Hey Doug.
I need to find your Nomad door build as I like the idea of a screen door. I am looking for something that I can go for about a month in most any weather which mean will be setting inside during not so great weather.
Randy

Randy...while I really enjoy my tears, late fall and early spring, it's nice to have a standy for those Memorial day camping trips and late October ones when I get snowed on. I was looking around at some RV doors....prices like $550 with no frame...ouch...I'll build my own again. The steel frame I make is great for strengthening the sides and the door is very solid. Nice "whump" when you close it...Hopefully this time, I won't have to make a career of making it, I learned a lot the first go around. Doug

That wump is what I am shooting for. I am kind of stuck on my small TVs so I can't get very big. Unless I lose a lot of weight and I do not see that happening soon. Mine will be almost 5 foot tall inside and with my "Rabbit Hole" in the floor I will be able to stand up in there when I have to. And this time as it will be meant to be there from the beginning it will be much more usable. Also as I am making it for me. There will be a bed on one side and semi permanent seating on the other. The door on the left will go all the way to the bottom of the planned drop floor and on the right will be the usual TD type of door. The seating will be on the left side. Planning a little cabinet or something and carrying an electric hot plate so if I am camping in nastyish weather with a current bush to pug into can heat some water for what ever. Just my thoughts. Not even I plan to use a fire stove in there..........well.....

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:09 pm

hey Doug,

Just caught up with this build. As with your other projects, this one looks awesome, I love the color scheme and patterns. Your work is amazing! :beer: :beer: Hope to see it done by June 6
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:25 am

Here's what I'm doing on the drawers and doors on the interior. They are such a large piece of flat painted material, I just figured that they needed something to break them up with some complimentary colors that are going to be used on the rest of the trailer. I tried to do it in paint, but the masking was too time intensive and clean lines were an issue. I cheated.....bought some 3M striping tape and did it. This is a sort of deco detail that I'm working into a custom quilt pattern that's in the design process. Those colors will also be incorporated into the interior of the trailer. It's not a perfect paint job but it's latex on plywood.

I also scored a set of what I think are correctly colored melmac dishes off E-bay or about as correct as I can find. This color will be splattered on the walls with the gray and black. No one was bidding on them...$9...unfortunately the large platter was shattered when I got it...kinda like what happened with the dishes on the Nomad. No one seems to know how to pack Melmac for shipping...they all think it's unbreakable, but that's not the case.

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: Kamp King 12/21 doors and dishes

Postby nevadatear » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:58 am

I was wondering about the quilt. Tell me more. What are you thinking?
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:00 am

Doug hard to tell the colors on the pin stripping. Is is grey and black?
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Martiangod » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:16 pm

Good to see you worked through the end of the world, now when it really comes you will have a completed escape trailer :]
The yeller looks great and the deco touch is nice
Build On !!!!
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:28 pm

I finally crawled underneath and did the final attachment on the galley and the cabinet. There was no access to the wooden cleats from above. I also got 2 drawers built and painted/installed, got the bulkhead at the edge of the bed and a lot of the structure for underneath built. The front portion will be taken up with drawers and some electrical, the rear will be for storage and water tank. My aluminum cove material came in so I can now trim out the flooring. All the white pieces are leftover pine I ripped down from a bunch of shelving I tore out of a place...perfect to save on costs.

Debbie...the striping is more of a silver....gray wasn't available in the width I wanted, the quilt idea is not necessarily for this trailer, just something I've been working on, it's all still on paper.
Chris...I was holding off on any work until I was sure the world wouldn't end. Didn't want to do a whole lot of work for nothin' Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: Kamp King 12/23 bulkhead and bed framing

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:45 pm

It's looking sun-shiny pretty already!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby High Desert » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:17 pm

Lookin' might fine Mr Hodder. Watching your builds is always fun and educational! :thumbsup:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:27 pm

The high standard of Hodder excellence!

Very nice indeed. You have such an eye for that deco style and design. Just perfect color combinations, lines and form.

Quick building, too.

You, sir, are a master builder and it is a pleasure to see your work. :thumbsup: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:12 pm

Finished up on the rear bed support framing and rear curve supports. Built 3 drawers got the hardware hung for them and got them in primer. Mattress area ends up being 55x77. Thanks for watching. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby TRP » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:46 pm

Looks really great Doug. Almost makes me inspired enough to go out and work on mine again. Almost. ;))

In all seriousness - I need some motivation to get my cabinet doors done. Any ideas on what I should do? Have a peek at my gallery, I'm open to suggestions.

Ted
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:15 pm

I bought 3 sheets of 1/8" luan for the side template, laminated it into 1 sheet. Used that to lay out the perimeter and some of the interior structure for the side. Fit up the sections, laid the interior skin, again, inexpensive luan, shaped it, cut the door and windows, painted and speckled it. Tough to rassle a side this big around the shop by myself, glad it's not solid material.

Note my professional collection of weights for gluing. I laid some blankets down on the concrete to help insulate the material from the cold and it also allowed some cushion for bonding the frame to the interior sheeting and minimizes any marks in the luan. It's been 19F and that's tough on glue especially when I'm working on a concrete floor. I gotta get another cord of wood to heat the shop.

Finished up drawers and door fronts, had to remake 2...they were 1" too short...DOH!, got the slider in for the cooler and made my little aluminum edge partition between the bed and the sink.

Hopefully I'll get the other side done next weekend...Thanks for watching. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals