The LT... Thomas' Luxury Tent

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby NWsage » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:56 pm

Thomas, Love the moon roof ... enjoying watching your build ... Suanne

:)
NWsage
Donating Member

Postby Claw » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:05 pm

2bits wrote:Image

A really nice shot full of color,

Real nice Thomas :thumbsup: I am kind of partial to this profile. Do you have any particular fenders in mind?
JIM

Think about It!
Claw
500 Club

Postby 2bits » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:40 pm

Thanks Suanne! I just post everything to share my joy in building this! I think I am a pretty unique person, and I really feel a kinship with teardrops. They fit totally with the root of who I am in so many ways. :)

Jim, Yes, I love the lines on the Modernaire too. I debated for a LONG time whether to do this one, or a to-a-point hatch. I finally decided on this after I saw Airspeed's Tear, and Mike's demo on how to make a hatch, which gave me confidence to do the fully rounded hatch.

For my fenders, I am planning on flat black Northern Tool Fenders. They are cheap, 2 miles away, and honestly, I like the way they look! They will match the black roof nicely!

Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Claw » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:49 pm

The black fenders and roof will complment your puller nicely. Maybe you should lay some wood inside the trucks stepsides to match the trailer! 8)
JIM

Think about It!
Claw
500 Club

Postby 2bits » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:24 pm

Thanks Jim, I never thought of that! Too much trim for me though, I am working on a poor man's budget so I do just what I have to and try to make it look as cool as possible. :lol: I do however have a wood bed installed right now although it is just plywood, and more sad is that this is the best picture I have of it haha

I took this after I had just cut the truck in half and welded a new rear frame on it. I gave the old back of the truck to my best friend of mine who is a master carpenter and gets alot of jobs with extra wood so in exchange he is going to build me a "real" wood bed with all the classic trim like this, it's all in the works! :

Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:38 pm

I have been in a holding pattern since I need to know what roof vent and lighting I will be using before I can put my roof on because of holes and wiring locations. I have been obsessing and wary of commitment, but have FINALLY bought this roof vent. It has no fan, but I like it because it is smoke colored and not white and is $30 with free shipping!

I also picked up these SWEET vintage metal and woodgrain RV lights for the walls just behind or in front of the doors (4" Tall) for $30 with shipping. They had some stickers on them that goo-b-gone will be able to take care of. I don't like overhead lighting, so these will look cool and not too big.

I am still considering an airplane style dual light to put behind my head on the roof for reading purposes. Waiting for that auction to end though.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby john » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:56 am

How did the noise turn out on the vent fan?? The AC will likely drown it out. I put mine on a dimmer but it tends to stay on high when in use.

Nice profile choice. It was my preferred choice in profile as well but I was concerned about the added complexity of the front and rear curves under the trailer. Plus i didn't build my trailer with a particular build in mind. I used an old hobie cat trailer.

I also like the sunroof/moonroof and stole the thought. I have been buying for my second build (a TT) One of the things I got was a couple of moonroofs. I will probably use only one. They pop up and have screens (screens velcro in). They are not glass like regular windows but rather some kind of thick plastic. They are framed in aluminum like regular windows, though.

Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby 2bits » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:57 am

john wrote:How did the noise turn out on the vent fan?? The AC will likely drown it out. I put mine on a dimmer but it tends to stay on high when in use.

Nice profile choice. It was my preferred choice in profile as well but I was concerned about the added complexity of the front and rear curves under the trailer. Plus i didn't build my trailer with a particular build in mind. I used an old hobie cat trailer.

I also like the sunroof/moonroof and stole the thought. I have been buying for my second build (a TT) One of the things I got was a couple of moonroofs. I will probably use only one. They pop up and have screens (screens velcro in). They are not glass like regular windows but rather some kind of thick plastic. They are framed in aluminum like regular windows, though.

Hi John,

I hooked up the fan and I could barely hear it at all from inside, it will be non existent compared to the AC for sure! I was impressed with how much air that it moved too, my worries about that disappeared as soon as I felt that.

I loved this profile the best too, thanks. I had the same concerns about the curves but so far it hasn't been an issue, we'll see how the hatch and roof skin go !

With the moonroof I specifically wanted to get a stationary one so there would be absolutely no issues or worries about leaking, I am cool with having the regular style roof vent farther toward the back, so it worked out great for my situation. I just want to see the stars! As long as yours are meant to be laid flat, I don't see why they wouldn't work though! I am looking forward to watching that build too!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Jim T » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:11 pm

Thomas,
Your trailer is looking good and you are making alot of progress! I am jealous!!! :lol: At this rate, you will be finished long before camping time arrives! 8)
Jim
Jim T
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 2bits » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:57 pm

Hi Jim, Well camping season is already in full swing! You are hopefully right that I will be campable by the time the fall season comes along! Worked on the truck yesterday, and all I got done today was cutting a hole in the roof for the rood vent, and mocked up some galley doors.

The space right behind the moon roof is 14" and that was where I was going to put it until I found the moonroof and I decided that it would look funny sitting right next to it and it would be so close that it might cause leaks. So I moved it back to where it looks good. There is already a double spar on one side. I had to cut through a spar, but it's no biggie to put in a new one since I have to do more framing anyway.

The galley doors are leftover from the headliner, and the back side is not very good. I plan on doing another set of sliding doors to separate the pantry from the interior cabinets, so I can access my snacks from inside. So both faces will look good and you will only see the ugly side when the door is open. I will probably do that for a little while since the wood is already stained and clear coated, and replace them with nice double sided stuff later on. he way it is working out, I think I am going to close up the back of the TV section in the middle and just have two sliders on the inside that can be accessed from the left and right sections.

Around the edge I plan on running some rubber U shaped molding.

Where do I get those brass finger hole door puller things?
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby planovet » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:07 pm

2bits wrote:Where do I get those brass finger hole door puller things?

Looking good! I'd try Lowes in the hardware specialty section. If they don't have it, I'd bet that Elliots Hardware would have them. Elliots has a lot of stuff the big box stores don't have. I got the ring pulls for my storage doors there. There is one in Plano on Coit and Park. http://www.elliottshardware.com/
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby 2bits » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:06 pm

Will do! I will check it out and post where I found them!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby bg » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:09 pm

I have a pair here that came with the sliding closet door hardware I bought from Lowes. I've seem them at HD as well.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby cccamper » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:14 pm

Just want to say that we are really enjoying this build and cannot wait for it to be done! Usually we see one start to finish on someone's pages. Now we have to wait real time!

The galley really reminds me in style and color of the interior of a wonderful old sloop!

e and robert
Robert and Elizabeth - "e"
Guppy the Tiny Teardrop

"Naked people have little to no influence
on society." - - Mark Twain
cccamper
Platinum Donating Member

Postby john » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:42 pm

Where do I get those brass finger hole door puller things?

How about a finger sized hole? I made mine triangular with rounded angles. I drilled three holes and connected them with a jig saw.

It might be crude but I gave up on flush mount inserts.

Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals