A Minnesota Build - The Lily Pad

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby aggie79 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:45 am

Hi Lil,

I like how you have layed out your interior cabinets. My wife and I don't have time to watch much TV, so when we camp it is a treat for us to watch movies. Like your design, a TV and DVD player was a must.

Having just finished my wiring, I understand a non-electrician's trepidation. I don't have any electrician friends, so I did it myself. The first time I plugged it into power - yesterday - I wouldn't have been suprised to see sparks fly. I double and triple checked everything and I guess that's what kept me safe.

I too have the WFCO 8725 and used the double breakers. It gets a little crowded on the AC side with the double breakers, but I assure you everything will fit. One key is to install all your neutrals and grounds before you pop in the breakers. I know your electrical installation will come out fine!

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Re: A Minnesota Build - The Lily Pad

Postby PcHistorian » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:27 pm

So is it a done deal yet? Pictures with the tow vehicle?
:-)
Elf Cottage

Build Documentary
https://sites.google.com/site/pchistorian/home/hobby/camping/elf-build
Build Forum
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=48462
Build Album
http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=42

progress is progress. (don't look a gift "progress" in the mouth.)
PcHistorian
The 300 Club

Postby mcspin50 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:52 pm

Hi PcHistorian,
Well, the Lily Pad isn't done. :cry: Matter of fact the camper itself is not much further than last picture of the interior. Late last fall I made some miserable attempts to cut the hatch ribs with the jig saw. :x Not successful and it was getting too cold to work in the uninsulated garage, and for SOME reason, my husband didn't want to park his car outside in the Minnesota winter anymore. Turns out it was hardly a winter.
So the Lily Pad went under a blue tarp beside the house for the winter. I'm stuck on electrical as well. Have to get my son's electrician friend to help with that. Too confusing for me.
So I decided to finish the quilt I had started last winter. It had been over 20 years since I'd made one, and I did forget a few things, but in the end it turned out quite nice I think...
Pillow to compliment...
Had a friend machine quilt it for me. I knew my limits. ;)

I also sewed the covers for the two mattresses. First I cut apart a queen-size mattress from overstock.com. I figured it'd be much easier to get two narrow ones rather than one large one in and out of the tear. Used an electric carving knife and it worked quite well. A long while back, I had ordered fabric from rockywoods.com. They were very helpful. I wanted a nylon fabric that was water-repellant. She recommended the Taslan Nylon because it wouldn't make a lot of noise as you roll over or move around on it.
One done...
All done...

I found this series of videos on YouTube very helpful to learn how to cut and assemble the mattress covers with zippers in them. The videos are kinda mixed up so you have to hunt for the next one to watch, but the info is excellent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqOF4kvE ... ure=relmfu

I've also been sidetracked with my '84 Scamp, doing some cleaning, sewing curtains, fixing little things. Will be camping in it until the Lily Pad is done. I'm going to find someone who can help me finish the teardrop. The hatch, the wiring, the doors/windows, the door hardware, the vinyl roof, the trim. I spend too much time thinking and pondering. I need someone to help me make smart decisions as to what to do next. I really, really want to get it DONE this summer.

And now my husband is going to have surgery for prostate cancer this week, so things will be even more disorganized around here for a while. But hopefully will get back on track soon. :thumbsup:

Take care,
Lil M.
In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks. - John Muir
Generic Benroy Build Journal here - My LilScamper Update Journal here
The Lily Pad...Image My LilScamper...Image Image
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Lil,
I am sorry to hear of your husband's cancer. Lets hope and pray that they get it all and that the surgery will end up being a "non-event". :worship:
Your mattress covers, pillow cases, and quilt look great! :thumbsup:

As far as your build progress goes, in my opinion, any progress is good progress, especially in very cold or very hot weather. Now that you have the Scamp, you can take your time on the Lily Pad....That's on "Teardrop Time"! ;)

PS. I read parts of four books before I felt comfortable tackling the electrical. (I had worked with house AC wiring but never with DC trailer or auto wiring.) It's always better safe than sorry. I am certain that you will listen to your inner being and do things the way you feel is the best. :yes: More power to ya!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby PcHistorian » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:18 pm

LOL, I thought at first you were saying, "well I didn't finish the build so being thick minn. blooded I just got my quilt and slept in the snow. ;-)"
Yeah, quilt looks great. I haven't even tried one yet. So maybe bucket list it. I can drive a sewing machine. I mean it is a machine, right? and I am a guy, so I should be able to drive it. ;-) (lol, jk) actually I can driving, just sort of drunken driving though, my stitches are all over the place. But if I do corderoy my stitches are straight. lol

Electrical, hmmm, best concept to understand and if you get this, you'll understand all electrical, every circuit is a loop, from the power source, one side of power, looped through a "Load" and back to the other power lead. At any point you can do multiple, parallel path (side by side) path wiring, but it all has to go from one power connector to the other...

bigger the load, the heavier the wire (and switches/path) and the voltages on the power and the load have to match. 120v power, 120v light. 12v power, 12v light...

end of electricity 101 (there will be a test later, regardless of your future plans. ;-)
----------
slip cover, if you take the second video from the top on the right, there should be all 25 in a row, from the first one.
thanks for the lead. A buddy just got a real bed and gave me the foam from his last. about 4ft x6ft x4inches. other than that I've got shag to lay on. (better than sticks and stones and acorns. ;-)
Elf Cottage

Build Documentary
https://sites.google.com/site/pchistorian/home/hobby/camping/elf-build
Build Forum
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=48462
Build Album
http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=42

progress is progress. (don't look a gift "progress" in the mouth.)
PcHistorian
The 300 Club

Postby Gary and Cheri » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:53 am

Lil,

So sorry to hear of your husband's cancer. I'll pray for a good and positive outcome.

Get the Lilly Pad done so we can see it. I have tentatively got ING on our calendar. That would be a great time for it's first big outing :) even if not 100% done.

Gary
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby mcspin50 » Mon May 19, 2014 10:56 pm

Well, it's been over 2 years since I have worked on the Lily Pad. I'm thinking of renaming it Lazarus because it has risen from the dead. It spent two years in storage while life was getting in the way. Between family illnesses, closing my business after 10 years, separation, moving and two new part-time jobs, it's time to finish what I started. But I'm working on it with the help of some wonderful folks who have been through the build process already, who have the time, the enclosed space, the willingness and the patience to help me. And they volunteered! I'm a lucky camper!
I took the teardrop out of storage and had it parked in the driveway of my new house when it seemed to rain every other day day after day. I had put a second tarp that had some holes from staples in it over the new tarp I had covered it with to transport it from storage. The inside ceiling skin was already installed with one layer of foamboard insulation laying between the spars. When we finally removed the first tarp to inspect how much I'd already completed, the new tarp had stretched out between the spars because it was full of water :shock: :shock: BUT it hadn't broken through. The inside skin had pulled away from the spars but was still intact. I'm a VERY lucky camper!
We bailed out the water and transported the Lily Pad 40 miles away at 40 miles an hour, otherwise the tarp would start coming undone.
Work began with Chuck and Carol repairing the ceiling and cutting the ribs for the hatch (what had been my stopping-with-discouragement point before I put the teardrop away. Today we sanded down the ribs and assembled the hatch. Hallelujah! It looks great! And it doesn't even have a skin on it yet.
I can't make it up there until Friday, but Chuck is going to start tackling the wiring. I already had the WFCO8725 mounted and we spent a little time figuring out where the lights and outlets will be so he can begin to run the wiring. I'll be transporting the Baltic birch 5x5 panels, insulation and vinyl that's going to cover the roof and hatch.
It feels really good to know that all the hard work my sons and I have already put into this won't be for naught. I'm gonna be a very happy teardrop camper...this year!!
hatch1.jpg
Hatch frame comes together
hatch1.jpg (44.31 KiB) Viewed 1614 times
Lil M.
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon May 19, 2014 11:18 pm

Having supportive friends can really help a project out. I would have never started my build w/o the support and encouragement from my friend.

I'm happy to see you getting to work on your TD again. :thumbsup:
Last edited by KCStudly on Wed May 21, 2014 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon May 19, 2014 11:38 pm

Good to see you got back up on that pony and riding it. Remember, there is really no time limit on when it needs to be finished.

Right KC? :D

I could not help myself. But who am I to talk? I bought the ball coupler for my next one back in 2010. Or was that 09?
It still is not attached to anything. But might be in a few months.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue May 20, 2014 12:17 am

Ouch. :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

Hey, at least I am putting my time in. Not camping yet, but at least I am building at a steady pace. Your mileage may vary. :D

No rush on the second one, so s'all good I guess. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue May 20, 2014 1:19 am

Wolffarmer wrote:Good to see you got back up on that pony and riding it. Remember, there is really no time limit on when it needs to be finished.

Randy

I couldn't have said it better! :applause:
Welcome back, Lil.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue May 20, 2014 8:27 am

Lil,
You seem to be busy and happy. What more could anyone ask? Little trailer friends, looks like you have that covered too. Good to see your tear drop being worked on again. :thumbsup:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby mezmo » Tue May 20, 2014 9:02 pm

You're just experiencing the "Tear Drop Time" phenomenon in action.

'Good to see you've survived any tribulations and are back on your
build.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mcspin50 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:19 am

Thanks all for the welcome back and encouragement. It's good to be back in the teardrop time zone!
Lil M.
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed May 21, 2014 6:00 am

I'll second everyone's welcome back to you Lil!

The concept of teardrop time hasn't been discussed for awhile on this forum. My build took 3-1/2 years to get to the 90% complete stage (where it has remained for several years). Teardrop time means working on your teardrop when you can and not fretting about it when you can't. The build journey should be as enjoyable as the completion arrival. The teardrop family helps us deal with life challenges along the way. We look forward to seeing build pictures again.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals