My Epiphany - Sanding - Sanding - Sanding

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: My Epiphany - A.K.A. The Slouch

Postby parnold » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:58 pm

No pictures from today but I got the inside paneling done on the second wall. Tomorrow I hope to get the two walls up and braced. There was a town wide garage sale today, sponsored by the girl scouts, I found a nice old breadbasket that is yellow and chrome. The yellow is similar in shade to my stove, so I'll figure out some way to incorporate it.

parnold
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:44 pm

I feel like every post I start out by saying I didn't get as much accomplished as I wanted to. :cry:

Today was no different. I got the braces done which will hold my walls in place as I build the interior around them. I got the wheel boxes complete (no pictures) and I got the walls all pre-drilled ready for raising the walls. Both of my sons are in North Carolina visiting their mother so I had no one to help me put up the walls. I don't want to damage them trying to do it alone so I'll wait till the middle of the week to get the walls up.

So here are the braces. They will screw into the top of the walls, so no holes in the paneling, and into the floor.

And on a side note, here is a picture of the lantern I've been working on. It is a Handlan, probably from the 50's. I was at a garage sale and saw a Chinese kerosene lamp that looked like the globe might just fit. I took the chance and laid down 5 bucks for the lantern. It was a good purchase, the globe fit perfectly. I bought some "frosting in a can" from Walmart, and here is the result.

I will try to find a switch like on the old time lamps, that turns, and I'll attempt to install it where the wick wheel would have been.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby crumbruiser » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:41 pm

Paul, I never feel as though I get much done either but what you are getting done sure looks good! :thumbsup: I like the lamp too.
Frank
I am not weird, I am a Limited Edition.
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000303236631
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:59 pm

parnold wrote:I feel like every post I start out by saying I didn't get as much accomplished as I wanted to.

+1 and throw in another 1 for good measure. In the shipyard it was always 2 extra, "One for the bilge and one for over the side".

The lantern is looking excellent!!!

Good thinking ahead and planning on the wall braces, Paul. Looking Good!
Last edited by KCStudly on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:01 pm

The lantern looks good, Paul. ...cleverly done. :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby cop1406 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:40 pm

What a cool build. Inspiration for a newb. :)
cop1406
Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:41 pm

Paul always consider this, we live on teardrop time and we're never actually finished with them! So do what you can and enjoy life as it comes bud!! I want to finish mine bad but I'm still going camping next month whether its done or not, thats why we both have our other tears :lol:. Nice buy on the bread box and the globe.

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:49 am

Nice work on the lantern Paul! Looks awesome!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Tue May 01, 2012 7:56 pm

Had an extra pair of hands tonight, so I was able to get the walls up and braced. It's starting to look like a camper. You will notice that the opening is not cut out for the door yet. The wall was structurally weak with the door opening, so I will wait till there is some more support before cutting it out. I'll be starting on the bed, closet, cabinet, and bench seating frames next and some roof spars to give it rigidity so I can remove the braces.

My son laughed and said we could park my other teardrop inside this trailer it's so big. :D
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue May 01, 2012 8:01 pm

Lookin good Paul. You should be done in no time. Once the walls go up and it starts to look like something it seems to take off. Are you bringing this build to Wyoming?
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby parnold » Tue May 01, 2012 8:06 pm

Probably not Steve. Since it's such a long drive, and mountainous, I will most likely bring the smaller tear. It depends on how it tows when I'm done, but I'm thinking I'll be a lot more comfortable towing the little one.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue May 01, 2012 8:20 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:Lookin good Paul. You should be done in no time.

+1. It's looking good, Paul, and you are making good progress, too. Nice build. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Thu May 03, 2012 7:14 pm

I took today off from work, mostly because I was getting burned out. I decided what better therapy than to work on my trailer. After about an hour of setup, dragging all the tools out, etc, I dove right in. The framing is about 80% done for the bed, and the area for the slide out kitchen is almost completely boxed in. Once the bed frame was up, the walls became more stable, so I removed some of the bracing. It wasn't easy climbing around all the braces. I still haven't cut out the door.

The board on the bed platform is just a scrap piece I threw up there for effect.

Here is a picture of the beginning of the cabinet that houses the furnace. I couldn't get the exhaust pipe out, and I was afraid of breaking the furnace, so I am basically building the cabinet around the furnace. It is a huge pain in the butt.

Here's a shot of the front of the cabinet, which I built around the furnace. I'll have to install the wall and furnace at the same time. By the way, it's a good time to point out that the exposed wood on the cabinet, as well as the bed will be covered in the same paneling as the walls.

And the last pic for today. Stepping into and out of the trailer was getting real tiring so I built myself a little step. Old age is catching up to me.

I am very tired tonight, but I feel like I got a lot accomplished today.... finally! Now for some :beer:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby crumbruiser » Thu May 03, 2012 8:11 pm

Looking good! :applause:
Frank
I am not weird, I am a Limited Edition.
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000303236631
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

Postby parnold » Sat May 05, 2012 6:01 pm

I'm almost embarrassed to post since I have no pictures. I spent most of the day working on the trailer, but the only real visible thing is the wall behind the bed platform. I spent some time sanding the profile on the walls, and spend a good amount of time cutting spars, and gluing spars. Had some spare hands available so a quick trip to get more of the plywood and another sheet of birch paneling. Tomorrow will start on the spars, the wall behind the bed, and starting on the wiring.
parnold
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals