The LT... Thomas' Luxury Tent

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:37 pm

mechmagcn wrote:
2bits wrote:
tinksdad wrote:Ask a knowledgeable salesperson.

:? :lol:

My thoughts exactly, there are no such persons at our local HD :drofl:

You can do it. They can't help. :worship:
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:39 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: I love the lights. As for drilling down :? If you mess it up you are SOL. You could use a router and chisel then put a piece of trim over it.

The other thing that would look nice is matching metal tubing with a circle trim at the top or send it through the ceiling.

This is really a beautiful TD. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Lucky489 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:54 am

2bits wrote:I was thinking of drilling out and through the wall but that means buying a long drill bit and drilling down into the plywood, not my first choice! My working idea is to just put a small piece of vertical stained trim straight to the roof with the wire underneath. Not perfect, but not completely unsightly either. Somebody might think it is manufactured then tho :lol:

My first thought was router a small indentation run wire. Then sure of word in woodworking I want, but then some of your ply like a lap joint for connecting plywood and glue the piece in, and then stain. Trying to get the grain to match could be a problem.
Lucky489
Teardrop Advisor

Postby looped » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:09 am

2bits wrote:
Sparks, check out my post where I posted the pic, I actually asked that same question. I am going to run a wire straight up to the roof with a piece of trim covering it unless I get another idea between now and then.

I won't get to work on it again for a couple days though :x

one way to kinda hide them would be to break out the trim router and dremmel.. dig a channel to put the wire in and using 1 or 2 layers from the same plywood make a inset cover for it. grain and color might be a little different though
"face it man. It's just not possible to fry an egg with a bicycle powered hairdryer!"
- Dave Lister
looped
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:47 am

Hi, Thomas:

It might look nice if you made the electrical line look like a feature of the lamp and instead of trying to match your TD walls. In other words, run your wire up the wall to a small wire-sized ceiling opening and cover the wire with 'wooden' tubing that has the same color and type of woodgrain design as the lamp. Or, use a piece of metal tubing that matches the brass/silver(?) in the lamp. That way, it'll look like it was meant to be that way and you'll have minimal damage to those beautiful walls, should you decide to change things later.

...Just the 'decorator' coming out in me...TeeHee!
Sharon
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Sparksalot » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:17 pm

Something you might experiment with is called Flatwire. It's just a few 1/1000th thick. Could lead to some creative options for use and concealment. I don't remember the cost but did see it at at Altex Computers in Addison.

http://www.decorp.com/product/audio/flt.htm
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:35 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Hi, Thomas:

It might look nice if you made the electrical line look like a feature of the lamp and instead of trying to match your TD walls. In other words, run your wire up the wall to a small wire-sized ceiling opening and cover the wire with 'wooden' tubing that has the same color and type of woodgrain design as the lamp. Or, use a piece of metal tubing that matches the brass/silver(?) in the lamp. That way, it'll look like it was meant to be that way and you'll have minimal damage to those beautiful walls, should you decide to change things later.

Sharon

I was intrigued by the router idea alot but then coverage is still a choice to be made. Sharon, I think you hit on what works for me :applause: make it look like part of the lamp assembly with some similar metal. Excellent! thanks!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:38 pm

2bits wrote:
S. Heisley wrote:Hi, Thomas:

Sharon

I was intrigued by the router idea alot but then coverage is still a choice to be made. Sharon, I think you hit on what works for me :applause: make it look like part of the lamp assembly with some similar metal. Excellent! thanks!

How about a piece of flexible metal conduit between the top of the light and the ceiling. You can get it in 3/8" I believe and it's also available in aluminum. so it's not very heavy.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby 2bits » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:52 pm

Pretty good, I was thinking about some small brake line but I think brass would match the metal and wood tones the best. Might do a walk through at the orange box tomorrow...
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:34 pm

Well not to much to report here, not even worth reporting really but I miss working on the tear so much and I did a little today so I feel accomplished. I have been helping alot of people do alot of their things, and now I am trying to get focused on my stuff again.

Today I measured out and ran the 14ga 12v wiring for the lights through the roof. I drilled through the spars and taped them all down in place. I hung the wires through a tiny hole in the headliner for the two side lights and pulled all the wires through a hole that goes into the electrical cabinet. I also marked the hole to cut in the headliner for the two spotlights, and I remembered the wires for the spotlights that are going in the hatch too.

I can see that now that I am also going to need to build a standoff so there is enough room behind it. I always wondered why people didn't make em flush, now I know. I am not happy about that but what else can I do, I like these lights and I already have em. I broke my last jigsaw blade so I couldn't cut the holes tonight though. I did finish framing the hole for the roof vent with double spars so at least so it is done.

So all in all this and that got done. I am going to try and work on the tear Monday and Wednesday and Friday night too. I will be glad if I can get two of those days. Sat is shot already but maybe I can do Sunday.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Rev » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:40 pm

Man, you’ve got to get motivated again because I need to see this gorgeous TD finished! Thanks for posting all these pics.
Rev
Teardrop Inspector

Awesome build

Postby Itnkrman » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:34 pm

Thomas,

I'm new to the forum but have spent way to many hours in front of the computer reading all the threads. I really like your TD design and have started my design using yours as a template. Not to worry, there's no way my wood working will come close to the quality you're producing. Nice Job! :thumbsup:

Got a question, one thing I can't figure out from your pictures is where you're going to put the tail lights. Got that figured out yet?

Also, I live down south but come to Dallas once a month or so, perhaps I can come by and see your masterpiece in person.
Itnkrman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 2bits » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:19 pm

Wow! I never thought I would be worthy of such comments! Thank you BOTH ;) You are most definitely welcome to swing by Itnkrman, just send me a PM and we can make sure I am home, maybe I will have the roof on by then! My main delay recently was that I was committed elsewhere and $$$ to dedicate to it. I finished setting up the spotlights in the front and middle positions, so they are ready to screw in. The only thing it needs is Epoxy and insulation before getting the roof on. (I keep saying that!) The moonroof and vent are just sitting in there for somewhere to keep them and it just looks cool haha

Today I ordered the CPES for the end grain of the walls and doors and hatch and that is the next step.

I like this profile alot and you don't see it as a woody very often. As far as the tail lights question, I am going to mount these exact lights in this exact position.

I am nowhere near a great woodworker, I just have a creative mind and not afraid to try new things, so far I haven't screwed up too much! My sole experience is two years ago I worked for a friend of mine full time for a year doing all kinds of woodworking, mostly decks, bookshelves and entertainment centers. I just loved it so I soaked up alot and retained it, but I had zero experience before then! This forum is invaluable, not even just for asking questions, but for doing exactly what you do like me, just read and read and read! I usually have a good question answered I didn't even know to ask yet!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby asianflava » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:58 am

I put my tail lights on the fenders but I was concerned that you couldn't see both at the same time unless you were directly behind the trailer. I added 2 LED tail lights below the hatch, they don't mess with the profile but they are visible. Also added 2 reflectors in the event I loose electrical all together.

asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby 2bits » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:33 am

Yeah the side lights concerned me as well, hey those look like Dealer temporary tags! :lol:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals