My new not so tiny trailer... "The Chalet"

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Alleged User » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:37 pm

Well, how cool is that? It takes courage to follow your dreams, and your passion for the work you're doing shows. :thumbsup:

Keep the pictures coming, Thomas. Your home is just beautiful...thanks for sharing it with us.
Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Re: My new not so tiny trailer... "The Chalet"

Postby planovet » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:30 pm

2bits wrote:2-5 acres of heavily wooded land

OK, when are you going to clear some land so we can have a gathering at your place?? :thinking: :lol:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Catoosa Grani » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:04 pm

Mark, don't you think we could take our axes, etc. and help clear so we can park?

Grani :thumbsup:
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:14 pm

Right on Thomas. Your extreme interior makeover is looking awesome. And paid for in two years sounds like a fantastic plan to me!
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

RE: The Chalet

Postby mezmo » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:16 am

Hi 2bits/Thomas,

Congrats on all the progress! It looks like a really cost-effective
way to achieve your interim housing needs. 'Hope the rest of the
plan continues to progress smoothly.

What is the brand of the MH? Singlewides are really maligned
unnecessarily. [MHs in general for that matter.] If they were done
correctly they could be the answer to the affordable housing problem.
Like you say, being a slave to a mortgage just to 'keep up with the
Joneses' isn't necessarily the answer to everyones dreams/problem.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 2bits » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:09 am

Hey guys, thank you for all the supportive replies. I hate to leave my nice home, but now I am itching to get into my new place! I told CD earlier that I consider this a Scotty, just a REALLY big Scotty, it's aluminum outside with a frame in the middle and paneling on the inside and I would live in one of those so why not this!

Here are some replies :)

madjack wrote:have ya bought the land yet...ifso, when ya moving the trailer.........mj

Thanks MJ! I haven't bought the land but I have a really nice 5 ac place picked out within driving distance to work! It has a Gas line easement at the front so that is a deterrent to most buyers but I want to build in back, and it has been on the market for a year, so I am just hoping that I will get enough $$$ From the sale of my existing home to get into that, otherwise, I have a few other places in the same area lined up! If the house doesn't sell, I will just save up for a year, or two :( but hey two years to my retirement home I can deal with! Shadow, You are right that getting the place is stage 1, Getting the land is stage 2, getting the land ready for a house is stage 3, and moving out there is the end game!

Miriam C. wrote:Honestly, the kitchen and living room are great but don't seem to go together.

LOL! Miriam, the kitchen and living room colors don't go together at all! They totally clash! That is the reason for the old english bar which basically separates the kitchen into a room of it's own, and rooms don't have to match. So I am planning to build that and after I move the sheetrock will probably crack all to hell anyway so that will be time to re do it in a tan color.

aggie79 wrote::thumbsup: Wow Thomas! You have been busy.
That is a really cool plan and a cool home. You're still going to Beavers Bend - aren't you?
Tom

Hey Tom! Yes You can count on me being there! I am putting a new carb on the truck to see if I can actually get into double digit gas milage and I have a half a cord of wood I am bringing to burn!

Butch, Yes, I am still here, work has been very busy and every night I go to the house and work so not much time for surfing, I try to stir up Slocowboy when I can though LOL (Just kidding SLO)

planovet wrote:OK, when are you going to clear some land so we can have a gathering at your place?? :thinking: :lol:

Hehe, It will be "somewhere" on Hwy 34 between Terrell and Quinlan… Lots of room for a nice fire! You will be the first to know, I can't wait! Riding that Babcat for a month ripping up a clearing sounds fun too!

mezmo wrote:
What is the brand of the MH? Singlewides are really maligned
unnecessarily. [MHs in general for that matter.] If they were done
correctly they could be the answer to the affordable housing problem.
Like you say, being a slave to a mortgage just to 'keep up with the
Joneses' isn't necessarily the answer to everyones dreams/problem.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo

Hey Norm, My trailer was built by KB homes! I've never cared about the Jone's too! I got an awesome deal on my brick home, but it was still too taxing for me. I was thinking about getting married at the time too, and now I found my zone!

Thank you again everyone for the comments, I installed 3 out of the 7 blinds today, here's a pic, I am looking forward to seeing the bay window with the wood blinds!

Night all!

Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby pete42 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:33 am

If what you are doing isn't working stop doing it.....

nice plan, make sure you can park a trailer on the land you purchase.

some places don't allow a trailer, like the county I live in here in Ohio.

I live at a man made lake subdivision and they put a stop to factory built homes now all homes must be stick built, they never did allow trailers.

but someone can build and a trailer park opps I mean a mobil home park then it's ok ........go figure.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 2bits » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:56 pm

pete42 wrote:If what you are doing isn't working stop doing it.....

nice plan, make sure you can park a trailer on the land you purchase.

some places don't allow a trailer, like the county I live in here in Ohio.

I live at a man made lake subdivision and they put a stop to factory built homes now all homes must be stick built, they never did allow trailers.

but someone can build and a trailer park opps I mean a mobil home park then it's ok ........go figure.

I won't be in a neighborhood, I will BE the neighborhood, so no worries about being able to put it there. I like the term trailer too.. makes it seem like I am camping everyday!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby tonyj » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:28 pm

Even if you are out in the "country" you need to have the property records searched to make sure the area isn't subject to a prior valid covenant that prohibits things like manufactured homes or built homes subject to minimum size limits.

My workshop is located on property that is 5 miles from the closest town. At one time, the area was platted for a subdivision that was never built. A previous owner also sold the property subject to a covenant that prevents me (or anyone else) from building a home that is less than 1,500 square feet, that prevents me from moving any manufactured housing on the property, and prevents me from raising hogs (not that I would, but it is in the filed covenant).

Most of the time sellers and buyers are aware of theses type stipulations, or they surface at closing. But better to check before you commit to buying than to find out later that piece of paper exists and prevents you from moving "The Chalet" onto your dream property.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 2bits » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:01 pm

No sweat on the restrictions, there are mobile homes all over the place. This is from an estate and the street behind it which is part of the same estate has all mobile homes and only one site built. all the streets around are countryfied trailers. I guess you would have to know the area, but this is "trailer country" here up in these parts LOL...
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby grizz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:13 pm

Great stuff Thomas.

Will be watching this one.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:54 pm

Thomas,

I'm happy to see your plan moving forward. The time for you to move to (near?) east Texas will come sooner than you think.

My brother and sister-in-law did something similar to you. Before they were engaged, my brother bought a 5-acre parcel in Mission, Texas, fairly close in to where he works (Reynosa). The property came with a mobile home and they lived in it for six years while clearing the brush and some trees. (It was once part of a working citrus grove. They still have plenty of lemon, orange, and grapefruit trees.) Last year, they had a home built on the property. It really is a cool place.

Let me know when you start the clearing.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:52 pm

Thomas, you are doing really good and should pat yourself on the back! The new wood blinds look great with the dark green paint. The price on that trailer would be really hard to beat, too. Can't wait to see more! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 2bits » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:41 am

Thanks guys, I am really ready to move and get the other house on the market to see if I can get anything out of it at all. We'll see!

Tom, I think the clearing will be hard work but fun hard work! Nothing cooler than makin trail with a Bobcat!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:07 am

2bits wrote:Thanks guys, I am really ready to move and get the other house on the market to see if I can get anything out of it at all. We'll see!

Tom, I think the clearing will be hard work but fun hard work! Nothing cooler than makin trail with a Bobcat!

Put your house on the market now! It will show better occupied. :thumbsup:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals