Lawnjockies Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Lawnjockey » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:08 am

Thanks, I'm having a lot of fun with it. I have a two week road trip beginning in mid January so I have to keep pushing forward.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby Lawnjockey » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:58 pm

Another day and a little more done. I sanded the exterior again with the DA sander and did another coat on the Bondo. Then I built a curb to hold the cot in place. I also made a book shelf, I can't go anywhere without my books. Then I put some of my gear in to see how it was going to work and to check things out for the wood stove.

Looking in the door:

Looking forward:

Gibon looks good on the shelf, I'll add Plutarch and the Burton edition of 1001 Nights and I'll be set:

After taking pictures I did a second coat of varnish on the floor and started making the woodburner.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby artwebb » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:33 am

Love the gun rack, and the bookshelf. What a rockin' buggy. Keep it goin, bro.
I'm not old, I'm Vintage!
artwebb
The 300 Club

I really like the bookshelf

Postby Alfred » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:48 am

I really like the bookshelf, too...

AL in Asheville :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby Lawnjockey » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:17 pm

Not too much done today. I did pick up the skin at a truck trailer place, it looks pretty good.

I cut the metal for the wood stove. It is 9" x 9" x 14" with a 3" flu. I ordered the store bought parts, springy thing for the door handle and the air supply disk. I'll weld up the box and then set it on some blocks to figure out how high I want it before I make the legs.

It is a cute little stove like the ones the used to sell for ice fishing shacks. It is going to have an extra heat shield on one side due to the limited clearances in the TD. I also want to make it a bit higher to reduce the chance of bedding brushing up against it. I may have to fabricate some sort of guard to keep the bedding clear.

I have a nice piece of stainless steel about 3' x 4' and an 1/8 thick that I have been dragging around for years. It will make a great heat shield on the wall. I'll probably use 4" terracotta tiles under the stove. The last stove I put on a boat I used those tiles. I just epoxied them to some plywood and put teak trim around them leaving space for grout. Then I put several coats of varnish on the teak. Then I taped the teak to protect the varnish and grouted. It turned out nice and held up well.

Once my trim arrives, Monday or Tuesday, things should start moving along.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby TerryLawson » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:51 pm

I like the idea of a small stove, and will watch this close. But my question is what and how will the flu and pipe work on the outside? What type of cap, and do you have to seal it off while on the move?
Terry
“The hard stuff we do right away, the impossible stuff takes a little longer!”
TerryLawson
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:58 pm

Lawnjockey wrote:
I cut the metal for the wood stove. It is 9" x 9" x 14" with a 3" flu. I ordered the store bought parts, springy thing for the door handle and the air supply disk. I'll weld up the box and then set it on some blocks to figure out how high I want it before I make the legs.

It is a cute little stove like the ones the used to sell for ice fishing shacks. It is going to have an extra heat shield on one side due to the limited clearances in the TD. I also want to make it a bit higher to reduce the chance of bedding brushing up against it. I may have to fabricate some sort of guard to keep the bedding clear.

:o ...I can hardly wait to see this!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Lawnjockey » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:42 pm

I hope to use a Charlie Noble type cap. However they are very hard to find in 3" so I will probably use an imitation one. It really doesn't matter because I am going put a stuff sack over it when moving to keep soot from blowing all over the interior. I am looking for some scraps of 3" and 4" conduit to make my flashing. I am going to make up some double wall for going through the roof as well as giving an inch from any combustables there. There will be some expermenting along the way and once installed only small fires to start with.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby eatatjoz » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:52 pm

If they're hard to find, could you use a water pump strainer?
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 6843_16843

Love the camper, btw!
eatatjoz
Teardrop Master

Postby Lawnjockey » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:36 pm

That is a possibility. The picture couldn't be the 3" since the specs say it is 3"deep with a 3" inlet. I'm pretty sure I can find something designed for venting a residential appliance. The marine ones can be had starting at $180.00 but they are still not the old style Charlie Nobles. On my wall tent I have a screen "envelope" that slides over the top of the pipe and acts as a spark arrestor. The main purpose of the cap is to prevent smoke from puffing into the interior during gusts of wind and to act as a spark arrestor.

Thanks for the tip.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby BC Dave » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:33 am

Lawnjockey wrote:I hope to use a Charlie Noble type cap. However they are very hard to find in 3" so I will probably use an imitation one. It really doesn't matter because I am going put a stuff sack over it when moving to keep soot from blowing all over the interior. I am looking for some scraps of 3" and 4" conduit to make my flashing. I am going to make up some double wall for going through the roof as well as giving an inch from any combustables there. There will be some expermenting along the way and once installed only small fires to start with.

Jocko

Pipe Stack Idea - Stove idea sounds great; thats what i originally wanted to do too; but couldnt find a stove at the right price / size that i was comfortable with. You sound like you know what your doing; re oxygen, backing, fire safty; CO2 etc.

So I went with a very nice but "spendy" Dickenson Newport 9000 heater (fireplace) ( I went way over budget on this, and I havent told my wife yet ... ) I'm in the process of installing the "ventless fireplace" in a CT,

It uses a double walled chimeny stack (3" outer 1-3/4" inner). You should ba able to set up something similar so theres no worries about oxygen & combustables and it helps keep the stack cool! Look up 3" double walled flex pipe; marine applications. Ide set it up with a longer exaust; then all the vent, cumbustion & gases are self contained in the fire place and stack; your safer that way.

... looking forward to seeing how the stove and TD turn out; your going at a good pace expecially in the cold.

Nice gun rack & bookcases too, (... guns for protection on the road?)

Cheers Dave
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby Changer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:52 am

I love the efficient use of space in your tear!
Changer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Lawnjockey » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:26 am

The Dickerson units are nice. Are you talking about the combo exauast/air intakes? If you haven't purchased your heater yet I saw a used Force 10, I think it was at Beacon in Annapolis. It would save some $. Marine wood stoves are way over priced, for example, look at the Sardine, yikes. I think I paid $50.00 for my old Tiny Tot, an older all cast iron one. Back in the '70s I purchased a pressed steel wood stove about the size of the one I'm making from Herters for $12.00.

Anything with "marine" on it is grossly over pirced. About 10 years ago I was bumming around China and I still had boats. I found all kinds of good hardware for next to nothing, workboat stuff not foo foo yachty stuff. My bags were a bit heavy on the return flight.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby Geron » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:50 am

Lawnjockey wrote: Herters for $12.00.

Jocko

Now that's a name I haven't heard it years. Used to follow George's catalogs faithfully. Think I still have his Cookbook!!!!

Geron

No Hijacking of this thread!!!!!!
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby BC Dave » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:00 pm

Lawnjockey wrote:The Dickerson units are nice. Are you talking about the combo exauast/air intakes?

Marine wood stoves are way over priced, for example, look at the Sardine, yikes.

Anything with "marine" on it is grossly over pirced. About 10 years ago I was bumming around China and I still had boats. I found all kinds of good hardware for next to nothing, workboat stuff not foo foo yachty stuff. My bags were a bit heavy on the return flight.

Jocko

Yes; "combo exauast/air intakes" is what i am trying to describe. You could make on yourself too; the Dickenson has spring spacers between the inner and outer tubes. Dimensions mentioned above.

Yes; marine = overpriced; i did manage to get mine ... "on sale" ...
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals