"The X-II" 5-Wide Convertible Teardrop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The X-II - 02/27/2012 - Screen and Vinyl Roof

Postby parnold » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:16 pm

Zach:

Remember I sell paint for vinyl if you decide to paint instead of making a whole new top.

You did a fine job there sonny!
:applause:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:22 pm

toypusher wrote:
parnold wrote:
absolutsnwbrdr wrote:Paul I'll let him know. :lol: :thumbsup:

Tell your father I'll pay double what you paid! :twisted:

You can afford that much beer??? :shock:

Paul he might take you up on that, as long as you supply the beer instead of drinking all of his like I did :beer: :D :lol:

droid_ca wrote:I heard that for double you get the SON's assistance on your build :lol:
So do we take a number :twisted:
Or is it just luck of the draw :worship:

Great build your doing there Zack I like what you you have created by bringing teardrops to a totally different direction with the convertible top you have some great ideas flowing through your head :applause: just cant wait to see what you haven't shown us yet :thumbsup: so is that going to be on build number 3 cause I don't know if I can wait that long :FNP

Get in line Droid! Not sure if I have any more tricks up my sleeve for this one or not. 95% of the build was planned out, and a few ideas just popped into my head along the way. I'd like to say its going to take some time for #3 to materialize. My friend who helped me out on this one got his toes wet enough to realize that he wants to build a teardrop now. He's quietly lurking in the shadows of this site and the TJ's. Maybe by calling him out like this he'll surface. But anyway, I think once he gets started, I'll be able to get enough of a building fix to hold me off of #3 for a little longer. :thinking:

CHUNKYMONKEY wrote:Z,
What kind of paint did you use, I think I recall from your first build it is Marine paint, but I just wanted to know where you found it, how much did you use or each color approximately?

Ange

Its Rustoleum High Performance Protective Enamel. You can get it any home improvement place. I've used 1-1/2 quarts of the blue, about 1/2 quart of white, and a quart of the silver. All of this was put on a base coat of Kilz Premium Primer.

KCStudly wrote:Zach, that's coming out really nice! Good job keeping all of the screen staples even and the snaps, too.

+1 on the blue vs. white at the front (almost didn't notice what you were referring to, until I looked back a page). It is better in blue there, you have plenty of contrast in your graphics. No need to compete with them on that little part there.

+1 on the brown, maybe you can use it as a picnic table cloth instead? I think the white is going to be "the ticket". If you were to take it to an upholstery shop, they could stitch in an insulated liner (like on convertible car tops) and that would help the white to work better in colder seasons. Running a line of stiching along the edge of the fold, outside of the snaps, would help that lay down a bit flatter, too, w/o risk of creating a leak since it would be outside of the drip line. Wouldn't hurt to inquire and see what that would cost; those guys have all kinds of tricks and materials for putting the finishing touches on that kind of thing.

+1 on the size, I guess I thought the basement storage would make it look taller, but the line of the main roof vs. trolley top breaks that back up and puts it back into good proportion.

Is it riding a little tongue high, or is that just the picture?

Sure looks good, all the finish work you've done. Nice. :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:

Thanks KC! I may check with an upholstery shop to see what they say about a thin layer of foam. On my last build I made removeable insulation panels for the roof, and they seemed to work pretty well too. It rides pretty level close to level. I'll have to take a pic next time I have it out. Its back in the garage for some finish work.

RonS wrote:Looks great Zach, now you just need to get some matching graphics on the tow vehicle. :D

Thanks Ron! Maybe I'll bust out the painters tape and go to town on the car this weekend :twisted: :lol:

parnold wrote:Zach:

Remember I sell paint for vinyl if you decide to paint instead of making a whole new top.

You did a fine job there sonny!
:applause:

Well I already have the vinyl, but I did consider doing something on the very front of the vinyl. If I dream something up, I'll be in touch :thumbsup:

Now its time for some more pretty pictures from tonight! Last week I had called Frank at Vintage Technologies to order a white strip of vinyl to replace the black one that came with my hurricane hinge. It got here today and I put it on as soon as I opened the box.

Then I moved my focus to the interior. I work for an architect and we got about a dozen 2'x2' carpet samples for a huge project we did. I asked the boss what we do with the samples when we're done, and he said "I think we're supposed to send them back. Why? Do you want them for that camper you're building?" :lol: :lol:

Sure I do!! :thinking:

They only "issue" is that they don't match. There were a couple samples that we somehow got doubles of, but most of them are different patterns/color combos. I think it adds an interesting touch to the project. They are an extremely heavy duty carpet made for high traffic office buildings.

Then I put the Spa Sensations 4" memory foam mattress inside and hung the curtains. These are the same curtains that my mom made for my first teardrop. One for each door, and then two will go across the front, but I don't have the rods for them yet.

Guess that's it for tonight. Probably try to get one more night of snowboarding in tomorrow night. I think the mountain is closing this week. :cry: :cry:

Probably have more updates Wednesday night.
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby CHUNKYMONKEY » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:13 am

Zach,

the carpet is cool. and i even like the walnut vinyl. I'm sure you can't wait to get out in the woods for some camping fun.

:beer: :Flippin Burger: :campfire: :vroom:
CHUNKYMONKEY
Donating Member

Postby Evan Gaffney » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:13 am

I kinda like the mismatched carpet. Plus, it'll be super easy to clean with a shop vac. Now that you painted that one section blue, have you thought of extending the white X onto the trolley top like the silver one?
Evan Gaffney
Teardrop Builder

Postby campmaster-k » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:22 pm

Zach - looks really cool. Almost there! 8)
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby TJinPgh » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:02 pm

Just a bunch of random thoughts (since I haven't figured out whether or not this new board allows for multi-quote, lol).

The brown vinyl.

I'm on the fence about it as well. The fact that it has a leather sort of look I can actually go for. I would simply suggest that you use some it someplace else to tie it in. Maybe in the interior if nowhere else. As it is now, it doesn't really fit with anything else about the build.

Otherwise? I might have gone with black.

Beyond that, it looks fantastic.

Single... didn't you have a wife when this build started? Or am I confusing you with somebody else, lol.

Finally, given the weather we've had over the last week or two, I'd suspect that you'll have at least another week or two to board. Both resorts appear to be open until at least the 10th.

If not? Blue Knob isn't THAT far away. I've been there a few times. Not sure about terrain parks if that's what you're into but it has some nice long runs if you're just looking to cruise.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:24 am

Thanks everyone!

Evan - I had thought about continuing the white X up on to the trolley top section, but because of the front curve it wouldn't be able to switch-back like the silver part does.

TJ - I definitely feel the same way about the brown vinyl. I like the color, but you're right - it doesn't exactly tie in anywhere. I'll have to work on that somehow. I am excited to get the white top finished though! Getting more materials to make another top is always an option. Its not too expensive (maybe about $50 in materials) and only takes about an hour or so. As far as being single goes - I was seeing a girl when I first started this build thread, but she decided she wasn't quite as serious about our relationship as I was. So I wished her the best of luck in finding someone who would treat her and her son the way I did. Still miss them both, but life will go on. I might have to check out the Poconos, but this rain is just melting away what little snow the mountains around here had on them.

Went and picked up some curtain rods for the front curtains yesterday after work. They're just spring loaded rods that span between the trolley top sides.

Might have to wear some sunglasses in there with the LED strips turned on.... 8)

Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:55 am

Great update on your build.:thumbsup:
.Sorry to hear about your social life but hey with a trailer like this They'll come running 8)
I was thinking that if you did the Spare tire that turns into a table idea that was floating around a while back you could make a cover for it and that could tie in your brown roof element :twisted:
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:00 pm

Hey Zach:

If any of your throwaways are into older men... well I can give you my number. ;)
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Martiangod » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:20 pm

Curtains look great, Oooops, have to hand in my man card now :frightened:

Have you thought about just having the white outside and doing an insulated layer under it for cooler times?

I know your trying to get some solar gain, black or dark grey would work great
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby TJinPgh » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:59 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:TJ - I definitely feel the same way about the brown vinyl. I like the color, but you're right - it doesn't exactly tie in anywhere. I'll have to work on that somehow. I am excited to get the white top finished though! Getting more materials to make another top is always an option. Its not too expensive (maybe about $50 in materials) and only takes about an hour or so.

Maybe tie it in with the galley and the interior. use it for cabinet door and drawer inserts. That would look pretty cool.

As far as being single goes - I was seeing a girl when I first started this build thread, but she decided she wasn't quite as serious about our relationship as I was. So I wished her the best of luck in finding someone who would treat her and her son the way I did. Still miss them both, but life will go on.

Sorry to hear it. And, I didn't mean to make light of it, regardless. Break-ups suck.

All that said, from the pictures you had up before I doubt you have a hard time finding a date.

And, if all else fails, put those LEDs on a rotating cycle, throw on some bass remixes and there's likely no end to the attention you'll attract :eyebrows: :MLAS

I might have to check out the Poconos, but this rain is just melting away what little snow the mountains around here had on them.

Anywhere with higher elevation should be good.

Blue Knob is pretty high up there (highest vertical in the state, I think) and is only about an hour... maybe an hour and a half further than you're used to driving.

Wisp is pretty good for boarding that that's a little further away.

Might have to wear some sunglasses in there with the LED strips turned on.... 8)

LOL
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:27 pm

It's really coming together, Zach....impressive.

The white or a gray vinyl top would look super. The gray would blend and also hide the stains that a vinyl roof tends to get but the white would also blend and would reflect the sun on hot days.
...Do you have a chair that needs some brown upholstering? :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby b.bodemer » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:35 am

Looks awesome and so much fun to look at your build thread!

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:41 am

S. Heisley wrote:It's really coming together, Zach....impressive.

The white or a gray vinyl top would look super. The gray would blend and also hide the stains that a vinyl roof tends to get but the white would also blend and would reflect the sun on hot days.
...Do you have a chair that needs some brown upholstering? :lol:

Thanks Sharon! I'll probably be making the white top tonight. I might be able to turn the brown top into an awning or something :thinking: :lol:

b.bodemer wrote:Looks awesome and so much fun to look at your build thread!

Barb

The pics of the convertible build you sent me two years ago was ultimately the starting point for my madness. Thanks :beer: :D
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:07 am

Somewhow I missed these replies before... :thinking:

droid_ca wrote:Great update on your build.:thumbsup:
.Sorry to hear about your social life but hey with a trailer like this They'll come running 8)
I was thinking that if you did the Spare tire that turns into a table idea that was floating around a while back you could make a cover for it and that could tie in your brown roof element :twisted:

Eh women come and go, but at least I have my Beagle and my teardrop. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That spare tire table was pretty sweet. Might have to look into that setup because I do need a place for a spare on this one. Never put a spare tire on my last trailer, and fortunately never needed it in the two years I had it.

parnold wrote:Hey Zach:

If any of your throwaways are into older men... well I can give you my number. ;)

HAHA I'll let them know, but promise nothing. :R

Martiangod wrote:Curtains look great, Oooops, have to hand in my man card now :frightened:

:lol: :lol: Thanks

Martiangod wrote:Have you thought about just having the white outside and doing an insulated layer under it for cooler times?

I know your trying to get some solar gain, black or dark grey would work great

I may try to find a thin foam to use under the white top. The fabric store didnt have a dark gray available, but they did have a black. May end up going with the black top. :thinking:

TJinPgh wrote:
absolutsnwbrdr wrote:TJ - I definitely feel the same way about the brown vinyl. I like the color, but you're right - it doesn't exactly tie in anywhere. I'll have to work on that somehow. I am excited to get the white top finished though! Getting more materials to make another top is always an option. Its not too expensive (maybe about $50 in materials) and only takes about an hour or so.

Maybe tie it in with the galley and the interior. use it for cabinet door and drawer inserts. That would look pretty cool.

I did use the same brown vinyl for my dog-door and a/c door in the lower galley, but might be able to use more somewhere. I thought about doing a vinyl interior skin for the hatch that can snap on and off like the top. :thinking:

TJinPgh wrote:
absolutsnwbrdr wrote:As far as being single goes - I was seeing a girl when I first started this build thread, but she decided she wasn't quite as serious about our relationship as I was. So I wished her the best of luck in finding someone who would treat her and her son the way I did. Still miss them both, but life will go on.

Sorry to hear it. And, I didn't mean to make light of it, regardless. Break-ups suck.

All that said, from the pictures you had up before I doubt you have a hard time finding a date.

And, if all else fails, put those LEDs on a rotating cycle, throw on some bass remixes and there's likely no end to the attention you'll attract :eyebrows: :MLAS

Eh it happens I guess. I was 28 and she was 22, so she still has some growing up to do. I'm not in any hurry to settle down. Just waiting for the right one to come along. I'll probably be the last of my friends to settle down. Until then, let the good times roll!! I'll be going to a music festival at the end of April, so that should be interesting with the trailer. I can just picture a bunch of hippies surrounding the trailer trying to figure out what the hell it is and why there are so many different colors of light coming from it. Time to crank up the Bassnectar!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals