Re: The Pup's Penthouse - 7/17/12 - Flooring

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby John T. Hodgen » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:47 am

Names....I like this game :thinking:
guiness-tear-bike=GTB (Great trailer build)
"The Do Drop Inn", "The Do Fall Inn", MTH (Mini Toy Hauler), The Dog's Inn. T.O.W. (Tavern on Wheels), Lil' Pint??
:? This game is giving me a headache....no Honey, its not from the P's & Q's....honest :lol:
Til later by the fire--John T. & Linda 8)
ps--I just made the 300 club after almost 2 yrs :applause: a milestone :thumbsup:
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:03 pm

Okay, John! Now, ya've got me doin' it!

- The Dog House
- Maddie's Mansion

PS. Congratulations on making 300! :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby John T. Hodgen » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:23 pm

thanks, I didn't think that it would take 2 yrs. How about "The M&M' (Maddie & Master) then it could be painted some wild colors. :lol: How about "The Madhouse" it will be by the time its finished and loss of hair,skin, and a bigger beverage gut.....etc.....Enjoy your build. Hope I didn't scare ya off. :lol:
Til later by the fire--John T. & Linda 8)
Last edited by John T. Hodgen on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

Postby bve » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:22 pm

I figure since it's being up-sized and built on a roof it should be called 'The Penthouse'.
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby synaps3 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:29 pm

I like "The Dog House" and she (Marcia, my fiancee) likes "The Penthouse." Thanks for all the suggestions, guys :thumbsup:

I trashed the taillights on the trailer earlier today. I was backing it into a space and didn't realize how HUGE the new trailer is compared to the old HF trailer. I managed to crunch the lights right into a concrete wall... Oh well, I was going to replace them anyways. :oops:

The trailer is mostly stripped now. I have 6 large cans of silver RustOlem enamel that will probably make the chassis nice and shiny again. I wanted black, but hey -- can't argue with free paint.

It's supposed to be warm enough to work again tomorrow. I've got a bit of homework to do, but I should be able to manage to get the chassis stripped. I'll be sure to get at least a few pictures.

I also discovered the torsion axle has mounts for brakes (yay!). I'll build, see how she tows, and get some brakes if I don't feel comfortable with my stopping ability.
-- Dave

Build log: here
synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby down under tech » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:12 pm

Hi Dave, Marcia & Maddie: Glad to see you got the bigger trailer frame. I would keep the HF frame & floor it with 3/4 inch plywood so you can go to get materials to build the new "Super Dog's Penthouse Pub". Good luck. The brakes would be a good idea, too. Take care,
:yes: :guzzle: :ilovecamp: :beer: :beautiful: :peace: :woohoo: :cheerswine: :awesome:
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:28 pm

sweet deal on the new frame Dave. That it fits your plan size is like it was meant to be. Looking at the pics I'm wondering if it was built as a utility or if it was once a pop-up that was stripped down, as it has a torsion axle and stabilizers. That would be coming full circle for it now wouldn't it? No matter, congrats! :thumbsup:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby synaps3 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:30 am

Shaun --

I think it was a camper in a past life. The chassis has been through quite a bit! I'm 99% sure it started life as a pop-up or camper. It probably leaked and was stripped, then converted into a utility trailer. It wasn't abused too bad in its most recent life as a utility trailer though -- the axle is newer than the chassis, and the frame was painted within the last 10 years to cut back on rust.

All in all, it seems completely sound to me.

Johnny -

I was thinking of keeping the HF trailer. I need to get rid of either the HF trailer or my old cargo trailer (I currently have THREE trailers in the parking garage of my apartment complex. I bet the management loves me). Given that I cleared out the cargo trailer when we did our spring cleaning, I think I'll keep the HF trailer for hauling things, and get rid of the cargo trailer because it is simply too huge.

Your "Super Dog's Penthouse Pub" gave me an idea for the name... I'm considering calling it the Pup Penthouse. I'll ask my better half what she thinks of that after work. :thumbsup:
-- Dave

synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby down under tech » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:48 pm

Hi Dave: How about Pup's Penthouse ???
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby synaps3 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:06 pm

Last few days have been BUSY :o

Floor is built, not mounted yet (more on that later)

Chassis is fully painted and wired.

All 3 tires just got replaced today (spare too), and one of the rims.

During my tear-down, sand, and repaint, I noticed the axle welds were a bit... strained.. and definitely need rewelded for me to feel safe. I'm going to take the chassis to a machine shop tomorrow, have it welded tight, then get the floor bolted down tomorrow night.

I'll get you guys some pictures after dinner -- the chassis looks good. :)
-- Dave

synaps3
The 300 Club

Yea !!!

Postby down under tech » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:16 pm

Hi Dave: Glad to hear you have made saw dust. You are wise to make the frame sound. Where are those pics ??? Take care, :)
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Progress!

Postby synaps3 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:32 pm

Here's the build update...

I started Saturday with the angle grinder. I ground and ground, finally removing hundreds of self-tapping screw heads. After they were all off, I was able to tear the deck off and smoothed the rest of the screw off. Underneath that, I kept grinding -- removing at least 10 brackets (that served no purpose), 2 taillights with completely destroyed casings, a random metal rack in the front, and a jack that was originally pirated off of a boat trailer. Lots of metal and smoothing.

Here's the pile of crap that I tore off:

I jacked the frame up onto the 3 stabilizer jacks (one of them was ripped off before I bought it), removed the wheels, and attacked the frame with a paint-stripping bit on the grinder, and several hours later had a clean frame.

Sunday, I painted. It turned out shiny. I had homework to do, so I called it quits.

Monday, I took the tires off the rims and took them to the local Firestone to have them put on some good tires. The flooring was cut, then painted:

I was feeling incredibly productive (SUPERDAVE!) and did all the wiring too, since the paint was dry.

Pretty frame:
( ^image taken today, not Monday)

Today, I picked the wheels up, put them on, and cleaned up the mess. I also decided to remove the remaining stabilizer in the back (it doesn't really make sense to have a stabilizer on the left side, but not the right). I also took pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Stabilizer:

Folded:

Bright lights:
Looks like Maddie sneaked into the picture. See her?

Another angle of the trailer:
I guess Maddie got bored, she left.

Tow rig:

Tomorrow, I'll get the axle rewelded. It was mounted by idiots and is ripping the frame at one point:

Wish me luck! :thumbsup:
-- Dave

synaps3
The 300 Club

All Righty Then !!!

Postby down under tech » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:32 am

Daaaang Dave: At this rate, you'll be camping by next week end. This frame will work better into your plans than the HF one. It looks biggg enough. I got the same supports (Atwood) you have. I got mine from etrailer at about $15 each. That was the lowest price I could find them at. They make two lengths on these. Measure them and contact etrailer to get the right ones. If you are going to make Maddie ride on the frame at night you are going to have to get her some tail lights, too. I can't tell if you have red marker lights on the rear sides of the trailer, if not you will need to add them. Never mind, I can see the tail lights have them in them. Is it wide? It must be over 80" wide to have to use the 3 center marker lights. I like the pic of the side view of Maddie sitting beside the trailer and your SUV. She looks to be saying, "Don't even think of stealing my dad's trailer". OK dave, Keep plugging along.
I wish "Much Luck" to you guys. The pics make all of us feel like we are right there with you. :campfire:
Last edited by down under tech on Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Re: All Righty Then !!!

Postby Conestoga » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:36 am

down under tech wrote: I like the pic of the side view of Maddie sitting beside the trailer and your SUV. She looks to be saying, "Don't even think of steeling my dad's trailer". OK dave, Keep plugging along.
I wish "Much Luck" to you guys. The pics make all of us feel like we are right there with you. :campfire:

I think she's saying "Daaaave... put away that little toy and get this buggy on the road" :R
But dogs are too polite, they don't ever actually say anything.

I ain't no cheerleader but i'm still watchin' this show and rootin' for ya :thumbsup:
Conestoga
Donating Member

Postby synaps3 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:38 am

Johnny -- she's 80.75" wide, so I have to have the 3 middle markers. It's a big trailer. :)

Thanks for the etrailer tip. I found the stabilizer you were talking about: http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/Domar/TJ01RT.html. I'll probably order one and put it in the back middle, once I have the budget for it.

Conestoga -- You must be quite fluent in dog! That's exactly what she's thinking. :lol:

It's also why she sits on the trailer. She is thinking "dad won't drive away without me, if I sit here. I want to go too!"

It's raining in Georgia today. Unfortunately, my painted base is sitting on the top of the roof getting wet while I sit here at work. :cry:

I doubt it will swell -- but we'll see. I might end up having to redo my floor. :(
-- Dave

synaps3
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals