The Schnoodle Shack - Final Update - Goodbye My Friend

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Lots of updates today

Postby Jim Edgerly » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:55 am

Lots of progress to report today...two weeks worth. The weather has been cooperating lately...temps near 90 with no rain, so progress is being made. Of course the temp is currently in the 40's so it's a good time to update you from New England.

The rear cabinets are installed, the ceiling is installed, and all the electrical is hooked up and working properly. I also tried connecting the battery and that seems to be working properly. The final test was to plug in the shore power while the battery was connected and supplying power. Had the fire extinguisher handy...did not need it!

The first two pictures are of the bump out sitting in position on the trailer tongue, then being attached. A later pictures shows the bump out coated with the fence post paint, which will be under the final aluminum roof. The bump out will give us extra room for supplies and clothes, and is accessible from the sliding doors inside the cabin.

The next picture shows the sliding doors to the bump out, with the fans above that. The following picture shows the clothes cabinets at the rear of the cabin.

This picture shows the inside side wall of the cabin. Three interesting points in this picture. Number one is the combination smoke/CO2 detector. Enough warnings were given in a sticky about the dangers of CO2 that I thought it worth the money to invest in the combination detector. Second is the outside porch light switch directly above the detector. There is a switch on both sides so the porch lights can be switched on after dark from the inside if we hear something we want to check out. Third, and something that I'm sure some people have already noticed and questioned...the freaking cabinet doors are on upside down! God only knows when or how they got reversed, but they are upside down now! The cabinets are in correct...it is just the doors. I have not bothered to fix them yet as all my efforts are being directed to getting this thing ready for camping. They are fully functional as is, and they can be corrected later. My highest priority is getting the Shack road ready for camping season.

Next comes the roof which I started attaching yesterday. Right now there is no construction adhesive holding it down, only screws. Once the plywood has been in a place for a couple of days and has a little bit of memory I will remove the roof, lay down adhesive, and reattach it with screws while the adhesive dries. The roof took quite a bit of coaxing to bend into shape. At one point I heard a fiber break in the plywood so I immediately backed off the pressure and threw a really hot towel up there and let it sit for about a half hour before continuing. There were no more broken fibers or even creaks coming out of the roof after that. For alignment reasons I let the plywood overhang the sides by about an inch. Once the roof is glued and screwed into it's final resting place I will come by with a router and edge bit and take the plywood off even with the sides.

That's my update for today. I hope people are injoying by build journal.

I am happy with my progress..... :) :D
*When doing anything, if there exists no possibility of failure, then any feeling of success is diminished.
**The glass is neither half full nor half empty...it is simply twice as big as it needs to be.
***If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
****When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.
Jim Edgerly
The 300 Club

Postby Wanna Be » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:50 am

With the cabnet doorknobs so high, You could say they are for hanging
Wet towels from, OR some such other light items.
Just my $0.02 worth

Wanna Be ;)

Lynn
This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.
~Elmer Davis

"Well, if you can't believe what you read in a comic book, what can you believe?" ~ Bullwinkle J. Moose

Also I am a professional spelling butcher.. I don't carry a dictionary and my spell check is broke!!
Wanna Be
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:53 am

:applause: :thumbsup: :applause:

Jim,

The Schnoodle Shack is looking great! You're in the home stretch now. I really like the look of your interior cabinets and doors.

That is a great idea you had about installing the roof ply - to fasten it temporarily until the plywood has memory and then pulling it back off to glue and screw it. I really wrestled putting my plywood in place, fighting the glue and screws. Thanks for sharing that technique.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby droid_ca » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:58 am

I'm ready liking how this is coming together excellent job great photos :thumbsup:
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Anal

Postby Jim Edgerly » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:08 am

I guess I'm more anal than I thought. After noticing how the doors were upside down in the photo's this morning the first thing I did when I dragged the Shack out of the garage was to fix the doors. It bugged me all through my shower, then breakfast...and I could hardly wait to fix them. They are now right side up and look the way they are supposed to look.

What is really funny is how many times I have looked at them over the last couple of weeks and not noticed... until I saw them in a photo! The mind sees what should be there...but the photo doesn't lie.
*When doing anything, if there exists no possibility of failure, then any feeling of success is diminished.
**The glass is neither half full nor half empty...it is simply twice as big as it needs to be.
****When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.
Jim Edgerly
The 300 Club

Postby Alleged User » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:04 pm

What a neat TD...love the cabinets. Quite the weather lately up in my beloved home state of MA...glad to see your TD is coming along nicely in spite of it. Just beautiful.

Some great years of camping in that TD await you. Makes it all worth it. :thumbsup:
Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

EVERYTHING ON HOLD

Postby Jim Edgerly » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:43 pm

Everything is on temporary hold! Had a "cardiac event" at a Relay for Life event in Gardner MA this weekend (one of the largest Relay for Life events in the WORLD!). Blood pressure 178/120, chest pain, and radiating down my left arm...with associated ambulance ride to hospital (can everybody spell embarrassing to be taken away on a stretcher in front of all your friends). Released 24 hours later with mandatory follow-up with my cardiologist at my hospital for a nuclear stress test ASAP as I had a heart attack 9+ years ago, and have 3 stents that may be closing on me. I went back to Relay for Life and finished it being pushed in a wheel chair by members of my "3 Yentas Schlepping" team mates (I am a co-captain so I wanted to finish the event)...plus my wife is on the planning committee so she needed to be there and there would be nobody at home to keep a check on me. So sitting is OK, minimal slow walking is OK, working on the Shack is a definite no-no until follow-up determines what further action is required and any restrictions. My wife is OK with a possible 6-12 week delay on working on the Shack and probably not finishing it before the end of the season...I am "heart broken" over the possible delay as I was really looking forward to showing off my camper this summer.

One way or the other I would not expect much activity on this post for a while.

:( :( :(
Jim Edgerly
The 300 Club

Delay

Postby nrody » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:57 pm

So sorry to hear that the shack is on hold due to cardiac event. I am sure your wife, friends & family are ok with the delay cause they would rather have you around than a half finished shack and no you!

Take care of yourself and get better soon.

Nancy
nrody
Nancy
nrody
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:07 pm

sorry to hear about your problem maybe you could direct others to assist you in building your trailer hope whatever you decide is the tight choice
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:26 pm

Healing thoughts sent your way!! There's no nurse smiley, sorry.

I'm glad you are still here to tell us of this "event". Listen to the docs, take your time and heal.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jim Edgerly » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:37 pm

Well, at least some things happen fast...much faster than building a teardrop! An angiogram is scheduled for 6:15 tomorrow morning and hopefully they can resolve any blockages with an angioplasty vs. by-pass surgery...much faster recovery time! The Schnoodle Shack will eventually go camping...just a question of when at this point. Thank you for your well wishes, Jim
Jim Edgerly
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:00 pm

Jim,

Somehow I missed the your posting on your "cardiac moment." Our prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.

My younger brother had two valves replaced when he was 47. They've been watching mine for over ten years. Fortunately, no incidents yet for either of us.

Take the time to get well.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated!

Postby Jim Edgerly » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:30 am

As Mark Twain once said, rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated! I'm home from the hospital and starting to heal. I had a new stent put in to reopen a stent that had scared over, and had a small heart attack shortly afterwards on Tuesday (they knew they were sacrificing a smaller artery and minimal heart tissue to save a larger one). In a few weeks I can resume light work on the Shack, just no heavy lifting for a while until cardiac rehab says I am good as new. So this may be a good time to concentrate on the small stuff (sanding/staining/poly) that I was putting off while trying to show bigger gains, and concentrate on the big stuff later.

Us teardroppers are a special breed...if I was a "full size RV'r" they'd be making funeral arrangements right around now.

Thanks for your well wishes, Jim
Jim Edgerly
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:09 am

Jim,

It is good to hear from you and that your surgery went well. Take time to heal - you can work on the Schnoodle Shack later when you feel better.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby Deryk the Pirate » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:18 am

Yeah take it easy and follow the doctors orders....Hope your feelin better soon!
Build Thread lil vardo 1: http://tinyurl.com/baqe6py
Build Thread lil vardo 2: http://tinyurl.com/b3rwffm
Deryk the Pirate
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals