MyAway build - Updates for space usage & organization

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: MyAway build - Promised Pics Added Pg 39

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:47 pm

lloyd wrote:Hi, I've just come across your build and it is similar to what I have been looking to build. You've done a few things that I like and will probably incorporate in my build (when it happens). In the meantime I have a few questions I hope you can answer for me (I apologize if you've already answered them, I haven't made it through all 42 pages of posts).

1) What is the final weight and tongue weight?
2) How long are your beds? Given the measurements on the first page (61"x100") the beds must occupy the entire length of the cabin (minus the front cabinet) when made up.
3) What trailer did you start with? What size?

And, I guess I should have opened with - very nice work!

Thanks, Lloyd.

Thank you, Lloyd. Yes, 42 pages is a bit much to work through. That's why I have left page 39 in the topic heading. That page sums up most of how the trailer ended up looking. I will try to answer your questions below.

1) What is the final weight and tongue weight?

I have not had it professionally weighed; however, I weighed each piece as I installed it and added in the chassis weight given by the manufacturer. A few other weights are estimated. Based on that, not including the bedding, kitchen equipment or water (In other words, empty, as I have found that add-ins change all the time.), final calculations came in at 1027.71 pounds. (If you would like to see the Excel spreadsheets for this I can try to scan them in or send them to you.)

Since much of the weight is up front, the tongue weighed in at 140 pounds, by my bathroom scale.

2) How long are your beds? Given the measurements on the first page (61"x100") the beds must occupy the entire length of the cabin (minus the front cabinet) when made up.

73”….Yes, the bottom, “leg” platforms butt up against the cabinet trim, except where the hidden “Middle-of-the-night” potty resides. The two largest of the removable leg sections are 30” long. They can be stored either under the seat cushions, during transport, or on the removable bars, above the benches, during the day. The smallest leg platform section is just 15x22” and is used in front of the potty area, in order to give a 15” square standing area area, when the bed is made into an almost queen sized width. That little section has never actually been needed and it spends most of its time as an add-on counter/eating table, attaching under the windows, next to the sink.

3) What trailer did you start with? What size?

I used a 5x8’ Red Trailer bolt-together kit. It was supposed to measure 61” wide by 98” long; but, when I measured it, I found that mine was actually 98.5” long. Since I needed just a little more length, I bolted a 2x4 onto the front. That gave me the 100” deck length that I wanted.

Good luck on your build!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:05 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:Sharon, your build is totally awesome! Can't wait to see it up close and personal! :applause:

Thanks, Cliff! It's funny that we actually talked to each other at IRG3 (2010) and didn't even know who we were speaking to. I'll always chuckle about that. I look forward to seeing you again.

PS. Please tell your wife my trailer-potato dog is still fat and we continue to take many walks. She'll probably get a laugh out of that. :lol: (He loves the trailer.)

S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:32 am

Sometime last summer(?), the paint company that I bought MyAway's paint from emailed me and asked me to send pictures of what I did with the paint that I bought from them. They said that they were going to be publishing a series of pictures and, if they used mine, they would send me 10 bucks. So, I chuckled and sent them an email with a couple pictures and a note about how happy I was with their paint. Sometime later, I got another email from them, saying that they were thrilled with the pictures and a little while later I received the $10 check. I went to lunch on the 10 bucks and kept watching their website to see what they would do with the pictures. Tonight, I got a call from my sister, who tends to Google things when she's bored. It turns out that the paint company used my pictures and a slightly embellished write up in an on-line magazine! Ah, well, I got another chuckle out of that. If you want to chuckle too, you can see it here:

http://www.squidoo.com/painting-a-campi ... ramebuster
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: MyAway build - Pics, Pg 39; Chuckle, Pg 43

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 am

Congratulations, Sharon! You deserve much more credit than the paint. Or the $10. Still, you are now 2 or 3 minutes into your 15 minutes of fame!
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:31 am

Nice write up Sharon, now I can say I know somebody that is famous! Nice job on the trailer, you should be very proud!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:14 pm

Sweet kudos to you, Sharon! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:21 pm

:applause: :applause:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:02 pm

Thanks, fellas. It sure gave me a kick!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:37 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Ah, well, I got another chuckle out of that. If you want to chuckle too, you can see it here:

http://www.squidoo.com/painting-a-campi ... ramebuster

No chuckling, I'm gonna go buy some of that paint! :lol:

Way to go Sharon. :thumbsup:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:04 am

Nice that you got that recognition on your project Sharon! congrats to you on a job well done! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Verna » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:17 am

Atta girl, Sharon!!! Recognition for a job well done sure makes you feel good.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:34 pm

Thanks, Doug. Thanks, Verna. ...My 2 seconds of fame. :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby lloyd » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:16 am

Finally getting to a response - thanks for the info. I've been exploring foamyland and I think that's the way I'll go. BTW, I did get through the 42 pages - it was nothing compared to the 390 pages I just perused on the foamy tread. :shock:

S. Heisley wrote:Thank you, Lloyd. Yes, 42 pages is a bit much to work through. That's why I have left page 39 in the topic heading. That page sums up most of how the trailer ended up looking. I will try to answer your questions below.

... rest deleted ...
Lloyd.
lloyd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Oldragbaggers » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:32 pm

Good for you Sharon!! You did such a beautiful job on your camper. The recognition is well deserved. I hope I get to see you, and it, in person one of these days.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:23 pm

Thanks, Becky. :) You're welcome, Lloyd. :) I am watching the foamie builds with interest and hope to see one in person in the future.

Now that I have my flatware storage, various multipurpose accessories for using with the bed platforms, such as overhead storage bars, table legs, etc; and at least one bed rest added in, I figured I could get a pretty accurate “factory” weight read on the trailer. So, I stopped on a whim and got it weighed on the local scales. Unfortunately, there was a little water in the tank; half full propane tank; and I forgot to empty out the dishes, extra stove and fuel, and the stuff in the potty cabinet. So, after I got home and realized that, I took the dishes and most the things from the potty cabinet out and weighed them on the bathroom scale and subtracted them. (I wanted to get as close to possible to an empty weight because the things you put inside (food, clothing, bedding, doodie bags, etc.) change with every season and every camping trip.) The resulting weight was 1151 pounds, still including the half-full propane tank... Not too bad. I can live with that.

I’m guessing that the trailer's undercoating, Kraft paper floor with its 8 coats of polyurethane; the exterior's 2 coats of epoxy primer and 2 to 3 coats of exterior top deck marine paint had something to do with the difference between the 1151 pound actual weight and my 1027.71 pound calculations. (I couldn't weigh those and didn't estimate them into the calculations.)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals