"Red Woof Inn" 10-16 update Hubcaps!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby LDK » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:40 am

Cliff

I'm happy to see that you're back at it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby GuyllFyre » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:36 pm

Nice to hear new progress has been made!
How's the wife's hand?
Looking forward to pics. :)
Things I have for sale on craigslist:
http://albany.craigslist.org/search/?ar ... catAbb=sss

Things I have for sale on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/merchant/seansmith
GuyllFyre
Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:58 pm

Thanks guys it felt great on progress just hell on me due to heat and humidity. One saving grace was a small shower on saturday that dropped the temp 10 degrees for 2 hrs and had a nice breeze going. Today I did get the cabinets back in and the headliner and they fit better the second time around :lol:. I did have 2 snags: 1 I didn't cut the notch on the back for the hatch seal. 2 when you modify plans you need to change everything and I didn't on the headliner. So when I installed it the 3" pieces at the seams hit right where a spar was and it was short as my tear sets higher than the Benroy plans. The 3" plywood pieces I just took off the front one and glue directly to the spar and then ran a piece of molding side to side across the spars which looked good and helps the glue to dry. Next weekend I will 6" to the headliner (over the cabinets and cut the vent hole and start running electrical and installing the lights and outlets,

Pics as promised:

As at end of day Sunday:

Galley

Short headliner and 3" filler issue:

and last the headliner with molding in a dark brown against the natural birch:

The wife is recovered mostly with just a slight discomfort due to the nerves growing back. She was lucky that they are growing back instead of just being dead is what the doc said, The sheet metal did get put up on the wall cabinets in the garage where she can't see them or hit again. Thanks for asking and for the great comments which keep me motivated. Now I just have to decide what to due to the exterior. Aluminum or epoxy and paint or I really liked Jeromes cedar fencing and galvanized tin roof :lol: and be a real GA redneck! I due like the natural tears just not sure how they do the molding on them.

Well thats it for this update, tune in next week for "As the tear turns!"

Cliff ;)
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Looks good!

Postby Alfred » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:03 pm

Hey Cliff,

Looks good! Glad to hear you're making progress and also that your wife is recovering. Hang in there!

AL :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:57 pm

Well had a good weekend working on the tear. A buddy of mine from work came out and we got the edge on the back hatch routed down 3/8" (Thanks Larry and Tom) and I used a finish saw and took the last 2" off the top and bottom by hand. We belt sanded the door edges on the tear and on the doors. Cut one door window out and cut the hinges to fit ( sawzall and bench clamp went like butter) and the hatch hinge. We uninstalled the upper cabinet and resquared it and lifted it up to close the gap between it and hatch spar and then we cut the vent opening out of the headliner. Then after he left I finished installing the partitionbetween the fron and galley cabinet and cut and routed another hatch spar. I lightly sanded inner walls with 220 grit. Today I got home from church and pulled it all out of garage again and vacummed the inside out as I wiped down the walls and put my first layer of clear gloss minwax polyurethane on the interior with the roller and a stain pad. The roller puts it on quick (was 102.6 in the shade of the canopy), and I would even it out with the stain pad and get next to the cabinets and the headliner and the floor. I was going to stain the door we cut the day before but when I turned it over to the interior side I found that the jigsaw blade had been dull and splintered that side pretty bad. So next weekend I will recut a new door for that side and make sure I score the cuts first and use the new blades I bought today. I also went and bought the screws for installing the door hinges I bought from Grant and some number 6 x 1/2" sheet metal screws for the window clamps. A friend came by thats an electrician I go to church with who came by and is going to come and hook up the elctric in 2 weeks when the rest of my lights and my breakers come in for my Elixer converter/power center. I will have to go purchase another inlet as I thought the 15a one would be good but he was reading the info on the power box and I need 30A inlet service coming in the tear. Well the rest of the evening was spent in cleaning up tje mess from the last 2 weeks and getting the sawdust swept up, and the tear back in the garage for the week. Hopefully Friday I will be home early enough to cut some 2x4's down to make the cross pieces for the hatch and I can get it built and go ahead and run my running light wiring back to the hatch. Still trying to decide on whether I want to do a woodie or aluminum but leaning towards the woody leaving a natural birch coloring and just epoxing the whole thing. I'm still trying to read up on how others have done theirs. Well thats it for now, ya'll have a good week.

Cliff (& Sheri)

ps: Sheri has me thinking of using the last cabinet space on the right to install the a/c insto but not sure about this as I will have to figure something to do for a drain and venting it! May just have to cut a double swaure cut out on the floor and cover inside with sheet metal and install a screen cover over the bottom and drain down and have it went there.

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CliffinGA » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:17 pm

Just a quick pic of the door and window we worked in yesterday, bad thing I will have to cut a new one this weekend. The blade had dulled and when my friend started cutting we scored one side but it ripped a big patch on the otherside of the door :cry:. Tonight I lightly sanded the inside and will put 2nd coat of poly on tomorrow night.

Cliff

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby LDK » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:40 am

Hey Cliff

It looks like your moving right along on your build now. :thumbsup: I was wondering did you decide how you'll finish the outside?
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:54 am

Cliff,

I love the profile of your teardrop and door! You're making some nice progress now!

I don't know what type of jig saw you have, but if it will take Bosch blades, I would use them. Their wood "clean cut" blades really work well. Some other tips - if your jig saw has different cut modes, I'd use the straight cut mode rather than oscillating cut mode. Taping along the cut line helps. Also, you can make a "zero clearance" baseplate for your jigsaw, using a piece of 1/4 masonite double-stick-taped to the metal baseplate.

Keep the pics coming! :thumbsup:

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby campmaster-k » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:12 am

Wow Cliff what a story. I just read your whole build, you are an inspiration. Your tear is looking great. Hang in there. You and your wife are going to have a real emotional bond to that trailer!

When I was putting my HF trailer together I went into the garage to look for something, in the dark of course. I felt the trailer edge with my knee and stepped into the open area of the trailer when I felt something stick to my shoe. I reached down to feel what it was and two sharp hooks bonded my hand to my foot. Now on one foot falling in the dark I flipped back over the trailer and crashed on the floor. I was lucky and did not hit anything sharp. I had stepped on a fishing lure.

Carry on Cliff.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby down under tech » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Hey Cliff: You are doing a nice job there. I too had some bad luck in my build, but just work through the problems like you are doing and soon you and your wife will be out camping in a very fine TD. There is no time limit, is there???
I hope your wife is recovering well.:thumbs up1: Take care and keep on keeping on. :applause:
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:11 pm

Thanks all for the encouragement:

Larry at this point I'm thinking go woody! I'm thinking oj just puttying the screw holes and epoxying the sides to keep the natural birch light color, do pine trim stained a nice saddle brown color and the top do a brown also to hide the diffence of the luan. Or do the roof in Aluminum and the rest as a woody.

Thanks Tom I did buy some new bosch blades and this time I will tape it both sides bvefore I cut it.

Kirk thanks, it has been an interesting time but we will finish it!

Johnny I'm just movbing along trying to see if I can have it campable by Sept 23-25th for a gathering in N. GA. If not I will take the smaller one to it and finish it by Oct. 13-15th for as gathering at Tybee Island, GA.

Cliff :thumbsup:

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:03 am

Glad you guys are stepping forward again (TD and body-wize). Project's looking good.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby SonofT@B » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:51 am

Hey Cliff, glad things have been moving along and the wife is better. Jackie and I have been camping in the back yard. Last night we had a cookout and ended with s'mores. Great on gas milage and the and free camping is good too.

Mike and Jackie in Atlanta
T@Bitha (2004 T@B)
Ford Ranger XLT 2003
SonofT@B
Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:08 am

Thanks Chuck, its going as best as can right now especially with the heat!

Mike all is well right now and glad are are yamping :lol: , I can't especially with my new neighbor (K9 officer). His house overlooks my backyard :lol:. Come on over anytime bud, I will be working on it Friday - Sunday this weekend.

Cliff

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Loader » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:15 am

Hey Cliff,

Looking good! :thumbsup: Nice look on the door! Those look like really nice windows too!
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals