MY First Build....

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

MY First Build....

Postby doctor phreak » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:35 am

ok here i go...this will be my first build a 5 x 10 Mod Weekender ( maybe )...bear with me i am no carpentar ...so this is why i enlisted help from my BIL...he gave me a free boat trailer with a new 3500lb dexter axle
since this has a A-frame box up front i needed to square it up
Trailer/005.jpg[/IMG]
after sanding down the frame and painted with rustoleum hammer paint
i went to a salvage yard the other day and pick up these windows out of a 40' RV that was destroyed up front ...these came out of the back..paid $25 ea
done painting and my BIL Brother had this alum truck box that he didnt need anymore and i was able to pick it up for $30.00 its a little used & abused but better than buying one for $200 plus...here it is sitting on the frame gettin a idea on where to mount it
and here we are framing the floor with 2 x 4 i will also put 3/4 ply on top... now i know this is overkill please dont give me too much grief these supplies were given to me ...i paid nothing for the 2 x 4 and ply
and my BIL thinkin on what to do next...
still need to finish the floor it was gettin late and the neighbors dont like hearing a skil saw at midnight
well all thats left is alot....i got to finish the little bit of the floor , screw ply on and black goo the bottom and bolt it on
then next step walls....stay tuned
doctor phreak
Teardrop Advisor

floor

Postby laoutdoorsman » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:21 pm

nice floor...is that 16 inch centers?? how did you join your 2x's??

im learning wood working as i go.. :? :?

its funny...i can build the world out of iron in my sleep....but wood....different story...(like the preverbial bull in a china closet) :lol: :lol:
mike breaux...its pronounced "bro".....
i think i should have taken notes along the way, because ive forgotten waaaay more than i remember...
laoutdoorsman
Teardrop Master

Re: floor

Postby doctor phreak » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:37 pm

laoutdoorsman wrote:nice floor...is that 16 inch centers?? how did you join your 2x's??

im learning wood working as i go.. :? :?

its funny...i can build the world out of iron in my sleep....but wood....different story...(like the preverbial bull in a china closet) :lol: :lol:

good eye...pretty much 16" centers.....and i glued and pocket screwed the middle 2 x 4's
and yea i am learning alot too and i just begun...
doctor phreak
Teardrop Advisor

Good job!

Postby Alfred » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:46 pm

Hey! Looks like a good start and you're getting a lot done!

AL in Asheville :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby oklahomajewel » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:02 pm

Nice to see , Mike ! You said weight was no problem, right? haha

Glad you're starting ! and a good score on the windows!
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby doctor phreak » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:25 pm

well updated pics....got the floor covered tonight in the black goo...question for you all....can i coat more than once with that black goo i notice after i threw away the brushes that my wife missed some spots or they were thin....dont think it would hurt...

doctor phreak
Teardrop Advisor

black goo

Postby laoutdoorsman » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:41 pm

so..what is the black goo?? i want to do that to the underside of mine...is that roofing stuff?? is i tar?? does it get hard or stay sticky gooey??
mike breaux...its pronounced "bro".....
i think i should have taken notes along the way, because ive forgotten waaaay more than i remember...
laoutdoorsman
Teardrop Master

Re: black goo

Postby doctor phreak » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:19 pm

laoutdoorsman wrote:so..what is the black goo?? i want to do that to the underside of mine...is that roofing stuff?? is i tar?? does it get hard or stay sticky gooey??

yea its the asphalt roofing stuff...i hope it does get hard because it is messy real sticky right now...it had the consistency of corn syrup
suppose to help waterproof the underside....this was only about half gallon...i found it local for $9 gallon....hope it helps
doctor phreak
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Alfred » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:49 am

doctor phreak wrote:can i coat more than once with that black goo i notice after i threw away the brushes that my wife missed some spots or they were thin....dont think it would hurt...

Hi!

It took some touching up after the initial coat had dried to get all mine covered too.

AL in Asehville :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.

ImageImageImage
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Re: black goo

Postby wlivesey » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:52 am

doctor phreak wrote:
laoutdoorsman wrote:so..what is the black goo?? i want to do that to the underside of mine...is that roofing stuff?? is i tar?? does it get hard or stay sticky gooey??

yea its the asphalt roofing stuff...i hope it does get hard because it is messy real sticky right now...it had the consistency of corn syrup
suppose to help waterproof the underside....this was only about half gallon...i found it local for $9 gallon....hope it helps

That's what I used on my floor as well. It's been on my floor for several months now and it's still kind of soft. It will get much drier than it is now. After about a week it was dry enough for us to flip the floor over and get back to work.

I don't see any harm in multiple coats. It doesn't need to look good, it just needs to keep the water out.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby greekspeedoman » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:53 am

It looks like a great start. I look forward to more pics as your build continues.
greekspeedoman
Donating Member

Postby doctor phreak » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:47 pm

ok its been awhile since i worked and post pics of my build
first pic is i decided to extend the floor
to have more space
kind of a patch job but no one will ever see it

ok splicing the 5 x 5 birch togetther pics of the splice line

then we have full 5 x 10 panels

orignally i wanted to do a weekender but i love the design of the Benroy so thats the way i went here is a pics of the first panel and one more to go

lot more work to do will keep on posting....
doctor phreak
Teardrop Advisor

Looking good!

Postby Alfred » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:19 pm

Hey,

That's looking good! I think the Benroy is a great profile, too. Gives you the rounded ends of a traditional TD, while also maximizing space, plus it is just an aesthetically appealing profile.

Keep us posted!

AL in Asheville :thumbsup:

ImageImageImage
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby grizz » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:26 pm

Impressive build so far.

I love the price you pay for stuff too.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Updated Pics

Postby doctor phreak » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:12 am

well i got some new pics to show you all of my progress
got the walls built with insulation and the bulk head in tonight and also ran some light electrical so far alot of things have been free or donated ...i think right now my tally tab is running about $600......
more to come later on

tommorrow i am pulling it outside and cleaning my garage its getting a little clutter....will take some outside pics and maybe hooked up to my truck to see how its going to ride
doctor phreak
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Build Journals