Wyoming Woody Teardrop Build (Completed: 6/22/2013)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Wyoming Woody Teardrop Build (Completed: 6/22/2013)

Postby _Ryan_ » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:57 am

Thank you! I am seriously blown away by all your kind words and feedback!

The Wyoming Woody is the product of 1 year of thinking, 6 months of designing, 7 months of construction, and the help of some good friends including tools and workshop space, as well as the invaluable advice/ideas/inspiration from dozens of members of this forum! Thank you all! :worship: This project has taught me a great deal about woodworking, cabinetry, electronics, wood finishing, and dozens upon dozens of other topics for which I would have been classified as a total novice before starting this endeavor. For all you fence sitters and forum lurkers (I know your out there, I was), it is proof that no matter your skills you can build one of these if you put your mind to it!

The Weigh-In: I took it to an interstate weigh station close by and weighed it with the battery and bed but otherwise empty of any gear. To my surprise it came in at 840 lbs. over the axle. I measured the weight at the tongue at 166 lbs. so in total it is almost exactly at the 1000 lbs. mark! On my way out there and back I towed at 65 MPH and I think it tows better at this speed than tat 40 MPH in town. With the profile it seems to sink down a bit and settle in at higher speeds which was a huge load off my mind.

A couple of final notes. We have outfitted her with black shelf liners which really look good against the lighter birch as well as match much of the trim on the inside and outside. For the bed we used a 4" think HD foam mattress which works great and unexpectedly matches up right against the bottom of the door threshold. It is cut so it is snug with the walls and surprisingly can be easily made by tucking a flat sheet under each side. Lastly the curtains are temporary but will work nicely until the final ones are made over the next few weeks.

As promised, here are the final pictures of the Wyoming Woody! We are taking her on the road this weekend and look forward to seeing how she travels. If I manage to have half as much fun camping in it as I had during its construction, I will consider it a success!

Thanks everyone! Cheers! :beer: :wine: 8)

Ryan

_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Postby Forrest747 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:55 pm

It is a work of art for sure. I love how you can see the reflection of the mountains in the finish. Noticed on one of the sides toward the front a sticker just curious what does it say? my guess is do not touch
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby _Ryan_ » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:07 pm

Forrest747 wrote:It is a work of art for sure. I love how you can see the reflection of the mountains in the finish. Noticed on one of the sides toward the front a sticker just curious what does it say? my guess is do not touch

:D

It isn't a sticker but a piece of rice paper that was inlaid into the first layer of epoxy. It is a badge of sorts that says handcrafted by my name, location, and year. Unfortunately the rice paper is not perfectly invisible and from some angles you can see the outline of it.
_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:56 pm

Stunning. Anyone would be more than proud to to say they built it.

Congratulations. :applause: :applause: :applause:

If you decide to put your first trip pics in the "trips" section, please be sure to post a link back here, or vice versa.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Very Nice...... :applause: :thumbsup: :D :) 8)

looking forwards to seeing pictures of your trailer in the wild....
And maybe at a gathering in future.

PS
Be ready to answer lots of question when camping
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby Strop » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:44 am

Ryan, absolutely fantastic. Thank you for the thread and all the help you have given everyone.

Laurie
Strop
Teardrop Master

Postby PKCSPT » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:54 am

That is a beautiful piece of artwork.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby _Ryan_ » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:44 pm

The first night of camping (in the wild) is complete. Technically this is the third night sleeping in the teardrop as we missed our first trip due to my girlfriend feeling sick. The first night was spent in the driveway, and the second was after a wedding at the fairgrounds in a tiny town in Wyoming where hotels were scarce.

We finally managed to sneak away last Tuesday afternoon and camped out up at a nearby lake. We couldn't have asked for a better night! It was clear, warm, and amazingly there was little to no wind, which in Wyoming is almost unheard of! The trailer towed like a champ and handled the dirt roads with ease. Because it was so clear and without any moon, we had a great chance to really take advantage of the skylight!

Here are a couple pics.

Hopefully we can swing another night or two of camping before the end of this month. After that we are off to Yellowstone and Montana for a week, and of course Walk the Winds 2013 in Pinedale, WY in August, where I hope to meet some of you!

As always thank you for your kind words!

Ryan
_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:50 pm

Fabulous. The finish on your tear is just fabulous. Such a rich color and shine.

Glad you had a great "first" outing.

Ship it to the Hall Of Fame (if not already there) and let the upgrades begin!

Speaking of which... I'm trying not to sound like I'm picking nits... you really have done a great job... but have you given any thought to aluminum wheels, or maybe painting the white wagon wheels a color that compliments the other colors of your wonderful creation? Maybe black to match your other trim and fenders, or a dark metallic gray to give them more of a luxury feel, like the rest of your finishes?

I feel horrible, as if I'm being critical, but I truly think it would push your build just that little bit farther into true greatness! Wheels can have such a big impact on the theme of a project.

If only TPCE has the same wow appeal when done...when finally done. I am inspired by your outcome and how quickly you "got 'er done". :applause: :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby tkbcampers » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:23 pm

I'm just starting my venture into my own teardrop build for some cross country camping with my wife and 60lb dog. Love your camper! It looks amazing.
Last edited by tkbcampers on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tkbcampers
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Via » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:43 am

Just found your build. Very nice. Where did you get your porch light?
Via
Teardrop Inspector

Postby David S » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:47 pm

Very Nice :applause:
David S
Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:42 pm

I like the skylight but there will be no sleeping late with it.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby PKCSPT » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:32 am

She looks just beautiful out there by the lake, I just sat and stared at it for awhile.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby WhitneyK » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:16 am

The more I look at it, the more Awesome it gets! :applause:

Would like to really consider using your sketchup design if I ever get a chance. Would have to make one small change though; your 6'4" long bed allowance would have to be increased a little, wouldn't want to get "wedged" in bed. :lol:

Fantastic job and one to be proud of. My hat's off to you, happy trails. :vroom:
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals